Decent day on the barley

Cosd

Bakerboy was kind enough to let me go to one of his permissions again. I had some bits to do and headed off around lunchtime. Looked around the barley fields and though there were birds about I couldn't see a clear flightline. A couple of Terry's mates were already there and I could hear them banging away.

I had no luck and so called Terry's mate and asked if I could take his spot as he was leaving at 3. He'd got 48 birds by the time I sat in the hot seat.

I made a mistake by not taking canes to lift my decoys above the crop, and though Dave said he'd taken his flapper down, I had no choice but to put mine up as the decoys alone were not pulling anything in from distance.

As soon as I put the flapper out the birds started taking an interest. It wasn't a red hot day but the birds trickled in steady. They decoyed well offering some testing shots.

I shot from 3.30 till almost 6.30 and finished with 37.

I had an excellent day and the weather was perfect for sitting in a hide.

Thanks again Terry!!!

56455008.jpg

well done mate nice bag there :good: i'm sure your barley is further on than ours but is it still green and is much of it laid?

Still very green and none laid.

I should have said, I set up just outside the barley on a grass verge, as the barley was just too long, so anything shot would have been lost.

nice bag cosd :good:

i would be made up meself with 37, be made up with 20 at the min its been that quiet latley but they are on the barley round our way but on the winter sown barley, its all spring sown on our farms and loads of wheat as well to look at so be another few weeks before they go on it

Cheers Ben

I set up pretty much oposite The RGun, and about 200 yards to the right.

Nice bag Cos, that was the spot that most of the shooting was coming from on Friday. None of the birds made it across the road to where I was though :/

Nice bag Cos, that was the spot that most of the shooting was coming from on Friday. None of the birds made it across the road to where I was though :/

Cheers Phil

I can see why the farmer is asking for guns on the farm, there were a lot of birds hitting the barley when I was there. It's such a big farm though I rekon it needs four hides at least to do an effective job and keep the birds moving.