Gun Cabinet and safe ammo storage questions

Sticky96

Hi,

I have been looking at getting this cabinet http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-GUN-CABINET-HIGH-SECURITY-3-SHOTGUN-RIFLE-GUN-CABINET-GUN-SAFE-/290642298355?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item43aba185f3#ht_3179wt_1107 for my shotguns when the SCG arrives, however I do not know how I am going to store my cartridges, I realize that it is not a requirement but I would like to make a good impression on the police, also I cannot afford for one of the higher quality Brattonsound gun safes with top locking boxes, do you have any suggestions on how I could safely store my cartridges and is there anway I can make my own rack/divider so that the safe will store more guns?

Many thanks,

As above FEO didn't even ask where or how I was going to store cartridges. Would have to have one big locking box attatched to a cabinet as its much cheaper to buy the cartridges by the thousand (for me anyway). Also when the FEO checked the cabinet was securely anchored to the wall he asked 'four gun cabinet is it?' when I said no only three his reply was 'don't worry you can always manage to get one or two more in them than the manufacturers state' implying that as long as they are secure it doesn't matter how many I have in there. The dividers in mine are only blocks of foam with a groove cut in them that have been glued to the sides of the cabinet, should be easy enough to make your own.

Police won't ask you where you will store your cartridges and if you bulk buy you'd never get them inside the ammo box in a cabinet - that space just enough for a few thou of rimfire shells.

I use an old, lockable silver trunk I picked up in a brick a brack shop for £50 - second hand blanket box might do as well, you could always add a lock,

As said already, I have always understood a steel box not best option for things that go bang though I think that was about black powder storage I could imagine it might well apply to any explosive in a fire.

I have the same cabinet that the OP put in the Ebay link.

I got mine direct from GDK, and its top-quality :good: My FEO said "you can get 4 guns in there, no problem.."

For cartridges i bought a cheap second-hand locking filing cabinet. Perfect for the job, you can get 1000 carts in per drawer.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't bother. If you happened to have a large locking cabinet doing nothing then use it, but don't go to the trouble of buying one and installing it for a question that probably won't be asked, where the answer won't matter, about something nobody worries about. Besides, if everyone does it they'll start to expect it, and the next thing you know we'll all have to have cabinets for them as a requirement.

What sort of shooting are you doing? If it's clay shooting or pigeon shooting you will find that a very large cabinet is needed, when you start buying them by the 1000 you'd soon find that the little ammo boxes aren't enough anyway.

i got 2 second hand video safes ,got them fancy vending machine locks on them hold 750 cartridges each from a carboot .cheap as chips n 1 happy FEO but as peeps ave said doesnt seem to be any rules on keeping sgc carts safe at all.dont know why you get your butt kicked if bullets arent safe but cartridges who knows why :hmm:

.dont know why you get your butt kicked if bullets arent safe but cartridges who knows why :hmm:

Read the Firearms legislation..... Theoretically you don't need to show SGC to buy carts, and you don't need anything to buy the components to homeload shotguns shells (do need FAC for bullet heads but not moulds or lead)

Read the Firearms legislation..... Theoretically you don't need to show SGC to buy carts, and you don't need anything to buy the components to homeload shotguns shells (do need FAC for bullet heads but not moulds or lead)

strange potmess of ideas that legislation ,to be fair the 3 gunshops i use all make u show your sgc to buy shotgun shells .like u say u can get everything to make your own bullets without paperwork ,and i suppose this will please some and anger others .people will always agree to differ on certain rules atb clakk :good: