What rifle?? Looking to apply

bigben

Hi

I'm looking at applying for my firearms certificate, I had 2 locations where I will be able to use it and will have no problem getting written permission off the land owners.

My question is what calibre and make should I be looking at for shooting rabbits/pigeons/and general pest control?? And what am I likely to be given a certificate for?

Im in the same boat as you mate. But the adivce I was given was to go for the 17hmr as its a good all rounder.

I was even advise by my FLO to go for his caliber because he reckoned the 22lr was more likely to ricohet, but thats an on going debate on here so Im bracing mysslf for a good old flogging ;-)

This of course depends on the permission. How big it is, and how suitable is it for that particular caliber.

Good luck

What ranges, what cost, any foxes?

you can choose from

.17Hornet RABBIT

.17HMR RABBIT

.22LR RABBIT

.22WMR FOX/RABBIT

.22Hornet RABBIT/FOX (A TERRIBLE CALIBER)

.222 FOX/SMALL DEER

.223 FOX/SMALL DEER

.22-250 FOX/SMALL DEER

.243 FOX/ALL DEER

It is possible to get a .22lr conditioned for say fox in certain circumstances. Depends on your Licencing Althority.

Edit : typo

Edited by Beretta28g

Any of the rimfires will suit what you want to shoot, it'll be up to the land survey what calibres are suitable (they may only be suitable for air).

Do you have a shotgun?

:o

best wind up post for a while and in many ways I agree as its a nothing caliber to me. But back to the main topic,

it basically comes down to either a .22lr or .17hmr both have their fans, I've got an HMR simply because it does what I want, rabbits to 125 yards flat shooting and less prone to ricochets but noisier. The .22lr has a loopy trajectory good to 75 yards or so and is cheap to run as well as being pretty quiet. Your best opiton is see if you can try either locally and make an informed decision from there. Once you go centerfire its a bit excessive for rabbits and small vermin, kills them but is expensive to do.

you can choose from

.17Hornet RABBIT

.17HMR RABBIT

.22LR RABBIT

.22WMR FOX/RABBIT

.222 FOX/SMALL DEER

.223 FOX/SMALL DEER

.22-250 FOX/SMALL DEER

.243 FOX/ALL DEER

It is possible to get a .222lr conditioned for say fox in certain circumstances. Depends on your Licencing Althority.

Exactly what in your estimation is wrong with the hornet as a foxer - it carries more at over 200yds than the WMR does at the muzzle and you are pleased to recomend that :hmm: Oh there is also no such thing as a .222 lr :rolleyes:

Hi

I'm looking at applying for my firearms certificate, I had 2 locations where I will be able to use it and will have no problem getting written permission off the land owners.

My question is what calibre and make should I be looking at for shooting rabbits/pigeons/and general pest control?? And what am I likely to be given a certificate for?

a rifle aint realy the thing for pigeons once you get away from Ferals and an air rifle a shotgun will always do a better job. As you dont mention foxes or the need to shoot a bit further out i should say .22lr (a rimfire) ammo is cheap and easy to get and can vary from around 30ft lb to around 190 ft lb for the hyper velocity stuff. Mostly people rely on the .22 sunsonic holopoint which produces about 80ftlb but with a moderator fitted is almost silent and the shooter only realy hears the reflected noise of the strike when bullet meets its target. Its the most popular round in the world :good: so .22Rf in a bolt action, 1 sound moderator and 500 rounds to but 600 to keep and your sorted :good:

Exactly what in your estimation is wrong with the hornet as a foxer

Bite, BITE.

Wind him in, I'll just get a deckchair and a crate of popcorn. :lol::good:

Being in N Yorks bigben, you shouldn't have much problem getting what you need. If in doubt ask your FEO they seem to be pretty pragmatic up there and certainly helpful.

Edited by DaveK

Bite, BITE.

Wind him in, I'll just get a deckchair and a crate of popcorn. :lol::good:

Being in N Yorks bigben, you shouldn't have much problem getting what you need. If in doubt ask your FEO they seem to be pretty pragmatic up there and certainly helpful.

listen the guy was asking for honest advice. was the .222lr a wind up also, perhaps some just enjoy looking an idiot

listen the guy was asking for honest advice. was the .222lr a wind up also, perhaps some just enjoy looking an idiot

Take a chill pill Kent. I was referring to the wind up bit of Alex's post before yours in answer to Beretta28g's post to which you then bit.

Of course there's nowt wrong with the 'ornit. I've got one. But I think the comments to which you responded were tongue in cheek, as was mine.

To the OP, the rifle you need is the one that works for you. Some swear by the HMR and if it works for them then that's the one they'll recommend. Personally I got rid of my HMR for a Hornet and have never looked back so my recommendation could easily be "get a Hornet" but on saying that, it may not work for you. Take any advice given as a guide but see if you can get to shoot a variety of your shortlist and make a decision based on that.

You're not that far from me so I can start the ball rolling with a look at what a Hornet can do. Unfortunately all my shooting is full of crops at the moment so if you've somewhere around York that's suitable I'd be happy to come over weather and work permitting and you can have a play.

Thanks for helpful advice, I was thinking you could only start at the bottom and work your way up in calibre. As for foxes not really for into them but rabbits and ferrel pigeons are what I would look to use it for.

Thanks for helpful advice, I was thinking you could only start at the bottom and work your way up in calibre. As for foxes not really for into them but rabbits and ferrel pigeons are what I would look to use it for.

Your only issue with the LR will be damage if used in buildings and getting CB and BB caps to shoot straight enough. Dont shoot other stuff upwards. Best rabbit gun in history :good:

i started with a .17hmr then got a .22lr, had them both for a while, sold the .17hmr to fund another shotgun with the intention of replacing it sometime. i never have and to be honest i havnt really missed it that much. IMO go for a .22lr :good:

you can choose from

.17Hornet RABBIT

.17HMR RABBIT

.22LR RABBIT

.22WMR FOX/RABBIT

.222 FOX/SMALL DEER

.223 FOX/SMALL DEER

.22-250 FOX/SMALL DEER

.243 FOX/ALL DEER

It is possible to get a .22lr conditioned for say fox in certain circumstances. Depends on your Licencing Althority.

Edit : typo

I'm going to bite too! .22 Hornet is terrible? All I can say is if you've ever had one it was either a bad gun or you didn't feed it right, they're great. Oh and the .17 Hornet is far more capable on a fox than a .22wmr - FAR more capable!

To answer to OP's question the HMR or LR are the obvious choices. Which one depends on the land and the ranges you want to shoot.

If you are applying go for both .22lr and .17hmr. It gives you the option for both within 5 yrs. Don't forget to apply for a moderator for both. The .22lr is a good starter. The moderateed .22 is very quiet and will not usually draw attention when you use it, whereas the 17hmr gives a noteable crack, which can be hear a mile away and can cause alarm if your land is near habitations. ATB

.22 to start with. But ideally both.

Two different tools for different situations.

If i had to choose one then id go .22 all the way. Much more versatile caliber.

Dont listen to anyone who tells you they dont bounce because they do. They also dont disentigrate after hitting a blade of grass etc.

In my opinion I would say a .17hmr, ammo is a touch more expensive than a .22lr however, the flat trajectory often makes it easier to hit those longer shots without having to compensate. Polymer tip rounds cause a serious amount of damage and will often cause a lot of meat damage to a rabbit if hit mid body. Another benefit which I feel is crucial is that .17hmr rounds have a much less likely chance of ricochet as they are highly frangible and readily fragment. .17hmr is very suitable for rabbit and some would say for foxes at a reasonable range. It is vital to understand that the rounds can travel as far as 2miles so backstops are a major must and for pigeons I find it very useful if you use decoys placed on the side of a hill with a moderator as it proves highly efficient. The 17hmr is I feel a much more versatile round/rifle to that of the .22lr and I would strongly suggest looking at the CZ rifles and in particular the Browning T-Bolt which offers a straight pull and a 10round helix mag with a spare in the stock of the synthetic. The straight pull allows for rapid reload allowing you to put down more rounds faster. The synthetic is a lovely looking rifle and very good value for money. Reasonably light compared to a CZ .22lr that I looked at which felt alot heavier. Although the .22lr is a much quieter round and you can obtain subsonic rounds with a moderator you will be able to work at night basically silent.

Edited by T-Bolt94