Oktoberfest?

wildfowler.250

I've been several times whilst posted in Germany if you can get accomodation at this late stage your doing extremly well.

Everything is over priced but try and go on the outskirts to find cheaper beer and food.

Last but not least the experience and atmosphere are priceless

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Weighing up whether it would be worth going for a weekend or something with a few people from uni. Has anyone been? I'm guessing it's pretty dear?

I went 40 years ago as an impoverished student (so it couldn't have been that dear at the time).

From what I remember - which then was hazy, and now is even hazier, the steins were excellent but the pork knuckle and bauernbrot helped soak it up.

Looking at the current published prices on the web €9.10-€9.50 per litre (about £4.20 a pint) does seem steep - but what price the atmosphere and the quality of the beer and grub

I went to Wroclaw in Poland for a weekend thoroughly recommend it 80p a small beer £7 3 course dinner clean, great city, plenty to see set on a river great beer food and weather! They have beer festivals much cheaper than Germany 2 hours from the border and fills up with Germans at the weekend,

Weighing up whether it would be worth going for a weekend or something with a few people from uni. Has anyone been? I'm guessing it's pretty dear?

Where are you going? I was in Hamburg for Oktoberfest in the early mid `80`s and it was brilliant, lots of Germans trying to drink their own weight in alcohol. Big beers and spicy apple schnapps :D

Looking at the current published prices on the web €9.10-€9.50 per litre (about £4.20 a pint) does seem steep - but what price the atmosphere and the quality of the beer and grub

Are you sure thats right?

I've never been, despite being a huge fan of German beer and having spent time out there in the Army.

There is a sort of unspoken promise between Mrs Zapp and me that I can go for my 40th. I'd jump at the chance. Munich brewers produce beer that is IMHO on a par with the finest British ale and Belgian beers.

I was stunned when it all closed up at 11pm (I think), before I went I had visions of drinking til the early hours.... by the way it's obligatory to nick one of the steins ... but they go ballistic if ya get caught

never drank so much weissebeer since ,think thats how u spell it ,ate too much bockwurst and danced badly with some big hairy armpitted woman .arr the 80s were great if u had a beer or two zapps right them munich brewers know how to make happy juice just go and enjoy it youl have some great photos and wonder what u did in them :lol: :lol:

Well it's mostly in September and it's a volume thing really. Overrated imho - Roomfulls of blokes all trying to out geezer each other while hugging and stuff.

:lol: Love it. It does rather strike me as the sort of excursion where one finds one self reinforcing negative male stereotypes.

Edited by ack-ack

That seems reasonable to me, I was paying about €7 for half a litre in france and italy a few weeks ago.

My banger rally finished in Munich last year for the Oktoberfest and if you like good beer, LOTS of fit fraulines, foot long currywursts and atmosphere then you will have the time of your life like I did. We stayed on the outskirts of Munich in a ETAP hotel and caught the train in which cost around £50 for the hotel and £3 for the train. My poor quality phone pics are cr*p but you get the gist!

BTW all the Germans were smashed by 9pm but there was no trouble......unlike GB.

18092010099.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

050wd.jpg

18092010101.jpg

18092010104.jpg