One for the medical types

Doc Holliday

As the header says, what whould happen, if anything, if you added a pint of blood to your body? Just watching the Mens 100m (outstanding performance from Adam Gemili) and waiting for little Jess to do her thing with a javelin and I remembered someone telling me once that sprinters add a pint of blood to make them perform better. Now this was 20 -25 years ago someone told me this and I never really gave it much thought until now. Nothing on Google that comes up on the first few pages so I'm left wondering if there ever was any truth in that statement and if so would it really be beneficial?

The new fashion is for straight red blood cells. More red cells means more oxygen can be carried giving the ability to go further. More blood would do that to an extent but not as much as more red cells in the same blood volume.

My body doesn't make red blood cells without assistance, hence monthly jabs. I can assure you that a lack of red blood cells is not a pleasant experience!

And red blood cells are now "aged" in blood doping tests. Therefore if you put red cells or "a pint" back then the age profile of your blood will be wrong with too many "older" cells. You get busted !!

Similarly training at altitude is good and does as it says above, but above the maximum amount of red cells and you are also deemed a cheat.

They also test for EPO that stimulates the body to produce red cells as well as a host of other drugs. Caffiene is about the only thing allowed in most sports !!

One or two cyclists died in the 90's from the use of EPO as the blood viscosity is thickened by the increase in red cells. This combined with a super fit heart beating at less than 40 beats per minute meant they would go to sleep, heart would slow and blood would not get pumped round. RIP

Edited by 90bhp

My body doesn't make red blood cells without assistance, hence monthly jabs. I can assure you that a lack of red blood cells is not a pleasant experience!

Christ, if anyone told me that you where the one I was helping by giving blood I don't think I'd of bothered.

:yp:

I have an enlarged heart - Doc said it was like a 6ft 6" blokes - so theory is being 5ft 6" I should be able to run like hell - But I get puffed real easy. perhaps I need another pint :good:

dave

slack muscle tissue mate, or a leaky valve? i heard that all healthy tickers were roughly the same size, might be wrong though :rolleyes::lol:

Also called blood doping. Training at altitude makes your body produce more red blood cells naturally which means more oxygen transported around your body and more energy released.

That explains why some are sleeping in chambers that make the body think it's several thousand feet higher.

I found out something interesting a while ago apparently my blood group is AB-negative so I am in the fortunate position of being a universal recipient virtually anything will work in me but only AB-negative people can have mine they can still use parts of it as in plasma apparently.

I thought it was a case of removing some old well used blood and replacing it with fresh as in cyclist after racing all day have some fresh blood from someone who has been resting put in and the old stuff removed.

I don't understand.

I think I am full on the blood front, how the heck could I fit in an extra pint, where does it go?

All sorts of places, your circulatory system can cope easily with that, when you become under intense stress your venous system contracts to increase blood pressure.

Over a long period of 'hypervolaemia' such as pregnancy, your bllod volume can increase up 50%, a phenomona called angiogenesis occurs, more blood vessels are created, the kidneys filtrate more.