where are you all (moderators note)

Topgunners

Here is one for the moderators.

Similar to how many pigeons are shot thread can you open a thread, fixed post or whatever; so we can see at a glance on a map of the uk where all the members are located. instead of looking at each individual avatar .

Especially the active ones IN THE FIELD. out doing the pest control; be it pigeon, corvid,fox, rabbit etc

I know some members don't reveal their true or exact location but county would suffice.

Then if extra shooters are required to assist other members they could see straight away the possible logistical limitations. etc

just an idea.

Dave K

Great in principle, but I think it will be a tad too complex in execution. For myself, I don't want anything that will pinpoint my location too exactly for all to see, I live in an isolated area (as I know some others on here do) and if I give too close a location, it would be easy to pinpoint my house, which is why my profile location is a couple of miles (or so :yp: !) away from my actual location.As for making it counties, that could be a huge area, the size of Lincolnshire or North Yorkshire, you could be talking 70+ miles away.

Also, as Swiss has said, what about the people on here (and we are bound to have at least a couple) who aren't what they say they are, the 'Water pistol and Walt' brigade. Even if it was compulsory on registration to put your area/location in, there is no way to check it is genuine, and from the number of people posting on here who do not fill their profile information in, they obviously do not want to be located by just anyone visiting the site. I would think this is more so for all the fox/pigeon/game shooters, pest controllers etc, who the anti's would love to have their address - clay shooters don't come in for quite as much venom as those who kill the 'fluffy-wuffies' that the anti's love so much.

Another problem is where the permission/shooting land is, I have a friend who has permission to shoot land near where he used to live (about 20 miles from where he lives now, in Lincolnshire) and also has permission on two farms owned by relatives/ friends, in north and south Wales.Much as I can understand why you suggested it, topgunners, I think we might be stuck with people giving the address where they are shooting on the day via pm or email, to the people they trust, and people looking it up on either a sat nav or a map.

Just my sixpenn'orth, I would love to be wrong and see it work.

Edited by Bloke

Great in principle, but I think it will be a tad too complex in execution. For myself, I don't want anything that will pinpoint my location too exactly for all to see, I live in an isolated area (as I know some others on here do) and if I give too close a location, it would be easy to pinpoint my house, which is why my profile location is a couple of miles (or so :yp: !) away from my actual location.As for making it counties, that could be a huge area, the size of Lincolnshire or North Yorkshire, you could be talking 70+ miles away.

Also, as Swiss has said, what about the people on here (and we are bound to have at least a couple) who aren't what they say they are, the 'Water pistol and Walt' brigade. Even if it was compulsory on registration to put your area/location in, there is no way to check it is genuine, and from the number of people posting on here who do not fill their profile information in, they obviously do not want to be located by just anyone visiting the site. I would think this is more so for all the fox/pigeon/game shooters, pest controllers etc, who the anti's would love to have their address - clay shooters don't come in for quite as much venom as those who kill the 'fluffy-wuffies' that the anti's love so much.

Another problem is where the permission/shooting land is, I have a friend who has permission to shoot land near where he used to live (about 20 miles from where he lives now, in Lincolnshire) and also has permission on two farms owned by relatives/ friends, in north and south Wales.Much as I can understand why you suggested it, topgunners, I think we might be stuck with people giving the address where they are shooting on the day via pm or email, to the people they trust, and people looking it up on either a sat nav or a map.

Just my sixpenn'orth, I would love to be wrong and see it work.

Bloke has summed up my feelings about it. Many people just don't want their location to be known

Point taken Bloke. I am fully aware that some people wish not to reveal their actual true locations but I did say ACTIVE members out in the field. Take yourself for example. Until this post I didn't know or even heard of the place scotter.

Now if I am ever near gainsborough I know you could be nearby. and possibly others. See what I mean?

I couldn't care less about the "Water and Walt brigade, armchair shooters; "or even especially the one who lives on mars (too far away)

It was more the idea that total strangers to each other might be shooting in a very close area and on the odd occasion might need some extra firepower/company, a driver, lamper. possible breakdown assistance (especially with guns and ammo in the vehicle) etc. etc

Even on the odd occasion for example when on a Sunday somebody is having a top day and runs out of ammo and would know roughly who else is OUT & ABOUT in close proximity that might be able to assist.

I too have a lot of land permissions all over the uk and wales etc My main patch I cover every weekend and the others every 2 weeks or so unless I get a phone call.

The intention wasn't to SPY on anybody or ask for their full addresses. It was more based on COMMUNITY SPIRIT and another string to active shooter's bows./guns lol. Contacts could then be made if the individual members WISH TO DO SO.

nick. I wasn't asking for full ID and I respect anyone's views to stay incognito as to their whereabouts.A few can be taken with a pinch of salt, I know. It was more for a way of seeing locations AT A GLANCE instead of trawling through hundreds of individual members profiles. I hope I have answered your comment too.

It was just an idea.

Dave K :rolleyes:

Edited by Topgunners

I don't get the problem with knowing people's rough location. I live in Kings Lynn but wouldn't want my address to be known. I could - if i knew other's location - get in touch with local people who i could take for a day's decoying etc.

the management of who is where and when would be impossible though, even if people wanted to opt in - each person would have to manually log in when they went out shooting then log out when they've finished.People moan enough about logging in with the police, let alone with a shooting database.

the management of who is where and when would be impossible though, even if people wanted to opt in - each person would have to manually log in when they went out shooting then log out when they've finished.People moan enough about logging in with the police, let alone with a shooting database.

there is a type of mobile phone app, which I am reliably informed by (a PW member who wishes to remain anonomous / in the closet) is used by the gay community to identify each other with locations on the move, and some basic info about them - with a view to meeting up and 'helping' each other :lookaround: , it would be good if we could get a fieldsports version for this very purpose (you could then chose to opt in, and decide how much info you want to give out), do any of the PW techsperts have any idea if this would be do-able.

edit - we could use the gay app, but just change our preferences from (for example) 'glory holes' to 'rabbit lamping' etc etc. although i can see some potential for embarassing confusion with this.

Edited by pegasus bridge

I wasn't thinking of a logging system but more of a generalisation of who was in the area for future reference and possible meetups etc. for example if a shooter wanted to invite another shooter/s out for a day as per Motty's comment then he could look on the map and choose to contact whoever. If you see what I mean.

Especially at this time of the combining year.

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners

I wasn't thinking of a logging system but more of a generalisation of who was in the area for future reference and possible meetups etc. for example if a shooter wanted to invite another shooter/s out for a day as per Motty's comment then he could look on the map and choose to contact whoever. If you see what I mean.

Especially at this time of the combining year.

Dave K

jesting aside, this purpose could be well served by a smartphone app doing (mechanically) the same thing as the gay locator type app.

Point taken Bloke. I am fully aware that some people wish not to reveal their actual true locations but I did say ACTIVE members out in the field. Take yourself for example. Until this post I didn't know or even heard of the place scotter.

Now if I am ever near gainsborough I know you could be nearby. and possibly others. See what I mean?

I couldn't care less about the "Water and Walt brigade, armchair shooters; "or even especially the one who lives on mars (too far away)

It was more the idea that total strangers to each other might be shooting in a very close area and on the odd occasion might need some extra firepower/company, a driver, lamper. possible breakdown assistance (especially with guns and ammo in the vehicle) etc. etc

Even on the odd occasion for example when on a Sunday somebody is having a top day and runs out of ammo and would know roughly who else is OUT & ABOUT in close proximity that might be able to assist.

I too have a lot of land permissions all over the uk and wales etc My main patch I cover every weekend and the others every 2 weeks or so unless I get a phone call.

The intention wasn't to SPY on anybody or ask for their full addresses. It was more based on COMMUNITY SPIRIT and another string to active shooter's bows./guns lol. Contacts could then be made if the individual members WISH TO DO SO.

nick. I wasn't asking for full ID and I respect anyone's views to stay incognito as to their whereabouts.A few can be taken with a pinch of salt, I know. It was more for a way of seeing locations AT A GLANCE instead of trawling through hundreds of individual members profiles. I hope I have answered your comment too.

It was just an idea.

Dave K :rolleyes:

No offence meant or taken, topgunners, as I said, it would be nice if it could work as you say. I wasn't meaning to %%~# on your chips, I can see where it would be really useful, I just feel the logistics would be difficult, if it can be done, I will be more than happy to say I was wrong .

I can see at a basic level it might be a good thing.

It frustrates me when people don't give their location details, I don't want to know their exact location or address, but it's good to know which end of the country they are at. It can also be helpful to them, if I know someone is in Scarborough, North Yorkshire (as an example) then they won't be too far from where I am, I might be able to recommend somewhere local if they need something, yet I can't find them. Scarborough is a small town, but still impossible to find someone based on that information, they can't be targeted on that information!

If everyone would at the very least give their county, the system could no doubt give a simple map allowing me to see how many and who are in this area/another area I may be going to. No exact details given, just a rough idea.

If someone does not give their basic location (I can't see why people won't, but it's probably best to not force someone to as it may cause a false location) then they aren't going to be on the map, simple.

there is a type of mobile phone app, which I am reliably informed by (a PW member who wishes to remain anonomous / in the closet) is used by the gay community to identify each other with locations on the move, and some basic info about them - with a view to meeting up and 'helping' each other :lookaround: , it would be good if we could get a fieldsports version for this very purpose (you could then chose to opt in, and decide how much info you want to give out), do any of the PW techsperts have any idea if this would be do-able.

edit - we could use the gay app, but just change our preferences from (for example) 'glory holes' to 'rabbit lamping' etc etc. although i can see some potential for embarassing confusion with this.

there is a dating site app that does exactly that. you open it and it tells you how near your prospective contact is. something on that line would be ideal or as per the original idea ; just a simple map similar to what i use in my job as an engineer, that tells me where each customer is in relation to my location at any time of the day or any area in the uk.

I can see at a basic level it might be a good thing.

It frustrates me when people don't give their location details, I don't want to know their exact location or address, but it's good to know which end of the country they are at. It can also be helpful to them, if I know someone is in Scarborough, North Yorkshire (as an example) then they won't be too far from where I am, I might be able to recommend somewhere local if they need something, yet I can't find them. Scarborough is a small town, but still impossible to find someone based on that information, they can't be targeted on that information!

If everyone would at the very least give their county, the system could no doubt give a simple map allowing me to see how many and who are in this area/another area I may be going to. No exact details given, just a rough idea.

If someone does not give their basic location (I can't see why people won't, but it's probably best to not force someone to as it may cause a false location) then they aren't going to be on the map, simple.

exactly what i said

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners

I don't get the problem with knowing people's rough location. I live in Kings Lynn but wouldn't want my address to be known. I could - if i knew other's location - get in touch with local people who i could take for a day's decoying etc.

exactly i don,t mind anyone knowing my town and county it isn,t giving away house location is it or am i missing something

we could use the gay app, but just change our preferences from (for example) 'glory holes' to 'rabbit lamping' etc etc. although i can see some potential for embarassing confusion with this.

Imagine shooting in a dark field when Elton and Quentin turn up and declare that although they've never heard of "Rabbiting" before they're willing to try anything.

well with my hassle i had on youtube ,i would not give were i live or shoot ,iam not giving 100s of people my were abouts and knowing ive got a gun box full of firearms ,you don't know WHO is WHO on the internet ,there is anti hunters that make false accounts ,all you need is to make up any old email address and open up on any forum ,i am a moderator on another forum and the amount of **** and spammers is unreal ,ive seen a few on here that i know on youtube but they don't know me ,i was on a fishing forum and people were saying i caught this and that at so and so water mark and before you know it every tom **** and harry will be there ,i posted on here to ask if anyone else has had problems with not seeing any birds about ,and ive had some saying ,how can we tell you ,we don't know where your from ,you can answer this as ive only asked if you have had the same problem

just a though and don't trust a sole

No chance i wouldnt want somebody sneekn :yp: around my permission !!!! you would endup with poachers and everyone on your ground if they knew you had a good shoot NO WAY :sly:

Some people are clearly paramoid and over-reacting.

As i said before, i live in Kings lynn. Unless your name is Columbo, how will people find me or know which farms i shoot on?

I'd better not tell any friends where i shoot in case one of them tells a stranger!!

Some people are clearly paramoid and over-reacting.

As i said before, i live in Kings lynn. Unless your name is Columbo, how will people find me or know which farms i shoot on?

I'd better not tell any friends where i shoot in case one of them tells a stranger!!

Theres no such thing as a stranger in Norfolk is there :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Location on profiles has been discussed many times.

If members posted even a general location (ie North Essex, East Kent, Coventry, Aberdeen, Belfast,etc) it would help when reading reports and knowing where the action is, it would certainly increase the chance of invites and meet-ups and is important for activities in the Trading Post.

There are no real security issues involved at all.

However, its a members choice.

If there is no location stated, just assume that they are not interested in getting invited out for a days shooting. :)

The thing is if you really think about it ,say you post on the forum that you shot 30 rabbits off you ground one night or put down 300 pheasants, and this being an open forum where there could be every chance that someone would find out where you shoot!! you would have every TINKER in a 10 mile radius out up to no good ??? !!! it is hard enough getting good ground to shoot over (and keep it good) in this day in age, so why would anyone want to jeopardize your own ground just dont add up :eh: SO NO CHANCE !!! And also as far as invites are concerned then i would only shoot with people i know or friends of friends and same goes for me taking other people out on my ground i would need to know the person first ,safe shot ect :good: