Rabbit clays

Spud dog

I'd be reluctant to use 9's on normal clays, with a bit of choke rabbits are perfectly breakable with English 8's at any range you could reasonably hit them in the first place. Really distant, edge on rabbits will need bigger shot like 7's but thankfully course setters aren't silly enough to show these too often.

It doesn't matter what shot size or choke you use, if you don't get the lead in the right place you ain't gonna break the clay. :no::rolleyes::lol:

But, if you do get the lead in the right place, which generally helps :hmmm: , then 9's are going to struggle at range.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Sounds like the kind of thing that will make you over think the shot and ultimately miss. If you have the hundreds of pellets of whatever size in the right place, it will break. Concentrate on getting the head thinking clearly and correctly and then putting the gun in the right place rather than such negligible differences.

Edited by OddJob

It might help to just think of them like any other clay. I generally use maintained lead on rabbit clays and run the bead about an inch or so below the clay (if it's crossing), if it's going away and edge on I aim pretty much straight at it.

I know many good shots who have talked themselves into the 'can't hit rabbits' mindset and it can prove disastrous for their scores.

If you can't (or your shooting mates can't) see a 'score' of shot ploughing the grass across the path of the clay then you're probably missing above.

Balls to cartridge size and choke, use what you normally would.

I know many good shots who have talked themselves into the 'can't hit rabbits' mindset and it can prove disastrous for their scores.

That's right. I tells 'em, I do: Rabbits are just ordinary clays flyin' at "Flight Level Zero".

Regards,

Mark.

Forgot about bouncers, Barnes Wallis approach?

Alright, how about "Flight Level 0.05"?

Me and my Posse went to the Fareham shoot, today, but just as we got to the rabbit stand, the damned launcher broke down. Typical...

Regards,

Mark.