Gun Control Network

the pelt man

I can't find much to disagree with in their "Objectives".

"All our objectives are predicated on the belief that the interests of public safety demand a reduction in the availability and attractiveness of guns of all kinds.

1) Minimum age of 18 for the ownership, use and possession of all guns.

2) Ban on the sale, manufacture and import of imitation guns and their possession in a public place.

3) Certification of all deactivated weapons.

4) Inclusion of airguns in certification system.

5) One certification system for all legal weapons i.e. rifles, shotguns, airguns.

6) Multi-shot rifles and shotguns to be banned.

7) Practical or Combat shooting or any other shooting practice which involves the simulation of real life situations and/or the use of human shaped targets to be banned.

8) Abolition or radical reconstitution of the Firearms Consultative Committee.

I think items 2), 3), 4), 5) and 7) have some merit.

Items 1), 6) and 8), either need some amendment, or better explanation of what they mean.

I don't see why the age limit must include the 'USE' of firearms, this would certainly deter prospective young shots to the sport. The idea of banning multi-shot rifles and shot guns is obsurd, I can't see that this will help anything. Except to make vermin shooting a slow and painful afair. Number 8 certainly needs more explanation.

I do agree though, that Airguns should be put on a licence of some description. I honestly believe that this would resolve much of the problems that are being brought to light in the media lately. Although, this would take some time to take effect.

I agree that their objectives if interpreted reasonabley make sense. However, with any "anti" lobby there is a certain amount of fervour and unreasonableness which ends up with an irrational (ban everything) viewpoint.

If you look at the top 3 gun tragedies in the UK they all (with hindsight) were completely avoidable. Derranged individuals who all to a man had legitimate firearms licences. But who really needs more than 10 firearms on their certificate, armour piercing rounds, full calibre military spec assault rifles etc.

For those old enough, you will remember Michael Ryan who legitimately held an AK47 with armour piercing rounds - *** was that all about - time has since passed and even the hardcore shooting fraternity have moved on and recognise that full calibre AK47s in the community is on balance against the public interest.

Mind you, how many people get killed by knives?

I have to ask why are people asking for bans on air rifles when to be honest if a youngster misuse one should the parent that would have had to purchase the thing be prosecuted for allowing an unsupervised minor to be in position of the air rifle in the first place? Unless this is brought to bare surely a register or licence would have no affect.

what do i know though

Aerova, welcome to the forum, when you get time fill in your profile. :) You have a fair point and yes the laws that we have should be used and enforced a little better. Licensing would help prevent airguns being distributed freely. This will aid the prevention of such rifles being in the hands of opportunist youngsters and/or parents.

I'm not for banning air weapons, but I do think they should be licenced.

Perhaps if this were the case, users would feel more responsible and feel that they had something to lose, if they misused the weapon, or misbehaved in other ways.

As regards parental control, I overheard some couples in conversation at a function recently and one of the fathers was saying that they had problems with their 13 year old son, being disobedient, smoking etc.

His final comment said it all, "Of course, they get no discipline at School nowadays".

Oh how I bit my lip. :)

I had a scroll through their list of August incidents.

Almost all FAC type crime was from criminal weapons and not from licensed holders.

Most of the air weapons crime was young kids.

There was a big group of "crimes" associated with BB and replica guns too.

Maybe there is a case for licensing airguns but there's surely a stronger case for the complete removal of replicas.

I think my generation was the last to have any real values in general. I was no saint as a kid but I had a good grounding in gun dicipline from my father, the air cadets and on from there.

I don't mean any offence to the family, but someone there is responsible for this tragedy and should be brought to book for it.

Cranfield: sadly this is the attitude today, its always someone elses problem. Until parents are brought to book for the behaviour and actions of their kids nothing will change. All too common are kids of 12/13 out until midnight up to no good and the attitude of the parents is "not my problem, how can I see what he's doing"

Makes my blood boil. In this nanny state its only those already prepared to accept the consequences of thier actions who get brought to task. Fully insured and taxed drivers with speed cameras and parking fines for example. People who don't tax or insure cars cost millions to the law abiding driver, yet nothing is done to effect just punishment on those who simply ignore the law.

Punishment to fit the crime, until that happens nothing will change.

It is an offence for a person under 17 years old to be in possession of an air weapon, or ammunition for it. The law is clear, I wonder if a prosecution will result? Im my mind it should.

I for one DO take exception to their objectives.

As usual the do gooders and misinformed social reformists are totally missing the point. Take away or restrict the use of one item and they'll find another to replace it. It's not the tool that's the weapon, it's the knobhead controlling it.

Implement the existing laws effectively and consistently and the problem will lessen.

Until there is some sort of restoration of a culture of respect and compliance with the laws of the land, we're in the poop.

Parents frightened to discipline their kids because kids now have rights and they know it.

Getting grief from "them that know better" when out shopping for giving your kid a slap on the ar5s for being a little ****.

Ban guns because they are inanimate objects? Okay, we'll buy crossbows then.

Ban hunting because we in the city don't like the idea? Okay, we'll train up herds of Llamas.

Ban the sale of knives? No probs, we'll use the ones we've already got to sharpen sticks and use them.

Quist

The easy availability of bb and airsoft weapons hasn't been a problem in the past so why is it now? Probably because it is less socially acceptable.

Mungler

even the hardcore shooting fraternity have moved on and recognise that full calibre AK47s in the community is on balance against the public interest.

I take it you mean auto and semi auto? Reason I ask is that AK's are perfectly legal to own in the form of the straight pull saiga M3

Cranfield

Agreed, Why not license air rifles? Fishing rods need one. But obviously the more they get away with, the more they'll want to restrict.

Restrict the age to 18 (this year, then to 21, then to 25?) Careful with that one.

And finally Esther

My youngest son was shot in the head a few years ago with a BB from a G10 pistol. All the police wanted to do was confiscate the gun and tell the owner off.

The fact that the owner was 13 (a firearms offence) and

his parents had bought it for him (a firearms offence) and

he had it in the street (a firearms offence),

loaded (a firearms offence) and

he shot someone with it (a firearms offence) ..........

.......... see where I'm going with this? At least 5 firearms offences committed and all the plods wanted to do was sweep it under the carpet and go home.

We all need to be really careful that we dont get what we deserve by rolling over and getting our bellies tickled. Bear in mund that (at the last count) there were 11 members of the GCN. How can 11 people weild so much power over government policy?

Dave (rant over)

Frightening to see 'educational packs' for students!! :) may be some of our larger forum sites should offer the same sort of thing, pro shooting obviously, would be good to get basc etc involved and a general file to be used on sites published? :lol:

what do you all think??

I have no idea what format they are in, I suspect they are lots of leaflets in a folder.

Teal reported some time ago that BASC had an "educational" evening at his University, so they are getting around.

I'm not sure educational packs pinned on shooting Forums would have much value.

Anyone coming on here has an interest all ready.

Schools, Unis, Libraries are the best places for them.

Also, as we have proved, people rarely read "pinned" items (certainly not twice).

They become like familiar road signs......ignored.

but in the same way as we are looking in on gcn they will no doubt be doing the same on our forums? same goes for lacs etc surely!

and of course then there is the person who is using search engines, education is not a bad thing, how often do you see guest or google searh on the forum 'whose on'??

• 3 years later...

i dont agee with banning anything, greater controls usualy leads to more problems, people should be held accountable for their actions ie get well and truely jumped for breaking the law.

dont have a problem with replica/deactivated weapons(how many people are killed by them?) alot of people get alot of pleasure from collecting them, not my thing but niether is football and i dont want to see that banned, (and we all know the amount of problems that causes).

like always with these things its a human problem, we should look at why we have so many poor quality people these days.