Big Cat Sightings?

^mimic^

There is proof actually, the bbc did a study last year.

1) 2,123 sightings of big cats were reported between April 2004 and July 2005.

2) New evidence published includes a skull found by a Devon farmer in July 2005 that has now been identified as that of a puma

3) three reported attacks on horses;

4) over 35 incidents regarding sheep kills;

5) several confirmed 'big cat' paw prints of which plaster casts were taken;

6) During the study over half a dozen 'big cat' hair samples were collected.

The BBC has also gathered evidence of at least 23 releases of big cats into the wild since the Dangerous Animals Act was passed in 1976, including a panther, pumas, lynxes and a host of exotics including caracals, ocelots and jungle cats. Many of the original owners are now owning up to their past misdeeds.

A jungle cat was run over by a car near Jedburgh a few years ago. It's remains were examined by experts.

If you have ever tangled with an angry moggy, you will know the ferocity of a cat. Being mauled by a large angry cat would be something to be avoided at all costs. One of the main causes of trouble from maneaters in India in the past was that they had been wounded by injudicious hunters and villagers. I have a great book by Jim Corbet about the man eaters of some Indian district. It's a great read and he definately didn't use a .22lr. In his tales, these maimed leopards dug into the natives houses and dragged their victims out whilst they slept in rooms with other people. Their relatives awoke to find them missing. It's a great read. It's cheap as well - less than a fiver. People wanting to shoot these animals should buy a Jim Corbett book before shooting at a leopard to give themselves a sporting chance of living to boast about it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/2...rds=jim+corbett

On the bright side, the chances of the average rabbit hunter ever getting near such an animal, even if it was there, are very slim. They are extraordinarily wary creatures, and can melt away long before you know they are there.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I think Cranfield's comment passed by unnoticed.....

Corbett and Capstick's books are laden with anecdotes about dealing with stroppy leopards. After a good friend of mine was killed and partially eaten by lions a few years ago in Zimbabwe, so I made a point of reading any book on big cats that I could lay my hands on. Good reading material though.

Whoooooooooooooooooosh !!!!! thats the sound of my comment flying over mimic's head. :good:

Not at all I just ignored your insinuation, Why would I just make it up? .Sooner or later you will realize I’m not someone who tells lie's, I leave that to other people. However anyway lets not get into a debate about peoples honesty, I want all of your opinions, lets just discuss the facts

here are the photos I took on my cell phone yesterday what do you guys make of them?

untitled.jpg

untitled2.jpg

Im now going up to the site with a proper HI rez camera to take some more photos of the gigantic Pileups, Feather piles take some plaster casts and look for more prints, il leave you guys to debait what they are while im gone, If i don't come back then somebody please Phone 999!!!!

Yep, I think Cranfield's comment passed by unnoticed.....

Corbett and Hathaway's books are laden with anecdotes about dealing with stroppy leopards. After a good friend of mine was killed and partially eaten by lions a few years ago in Zimbabwe, so I made a point of reading any book on big cats that I could lay my hands on. Good reading material though.

Just a thought Baldrick.....

After doing all that swotting up on Big Cats, if you were to go to Zimbabwe and were also unfortunate enough to get eaten-

Would the poor moggy then be eligible for a Readers Digest(ed) subscription? :good:

What happened to the rest of your post, Mimic? The plaster casts etc?

you'l all rip the **** out of me you wouldn't beleive me if i told you what i saw mate

All i can say is I AM NOT GOING UP THERE ALONE! no frigging way.

Im going to get more photos today and take a sample to the vets for an I'D im not risking a comment till then.

Your location says your in Worthing, just where abouts are you sighting these. Have you got shooting permission where the tracks are. The only reason I ask is that I am game for a laugh and will gladly come along, only being a 15 minute drive from Worthing. :good:

A big cat (leopard puma etc), would be the same length of that gun, from it's nose, to it's chutney pot (base of tail), people where talking earlier about shooting em with a shotgun, understand that it should only be used as protection i.e. from 10 yards, 3 shots is not safe enough (as is the law here I believe), you can't use a .357 or 44 mag, so don't think of it unless you got it in a bait, you sitting in a hide, and you got a clear shot (with a rifle)

Mimic, nice try with the photo's, but the biggest give away is the the bottom pad's shape is wrong, depth between the paws,..................nice try though, bet you fooled some

on them pics it looks as if you can see claw marks??, from what i learnt off that program with the canadian tracker over here looking for cats was that they dont leave claw marks as theyre recoiled, or something along those lines, prob wrong but hey :good:

no claw marks atleast not that i can see, If you bear with me i will upload what i found, Took a plaster cast and photo'd it an the terds im not saying i think this is big cat, I dont know what to make of it all, could just be a big dog with very well trimed nails and strange looking **** all i know is

Some other shooters said they saw something

I found a Huge great print in the mud

Theres Very big black terds near by

So im looking to your guys for an opinion youl have to bear with me theres several megs of pics to transfer

ok finaly!!! :good: See what you guys make of these, couldnt find any more prints but this is what i got

The print (yesterday)

untitled2.jpg

untitled.jpg

Us taking a Cast of the print

cast1.jpg

cast2.jpg

The Result of the Cast

finishedcast.jpg

finishedcast1.jpg

finishedcast2.jpg

The Huge black Terds!

terd.jpg

terd2.jpg

Terd5.jpg

Terd1.jpg

I would very much apreciate an anser to what this is before i go out shooting at night again!

We have a few big black cats locally in north yorks, I have seen them twice from a distance

a mate was in the local woods with his Lab, a lab sized black cat stood 10 yards in front of him snarled and was gone in a flash, ( the dog was hiding behind him) they all have been seen near railway lines, I assume they are using the railways as routes.