Ton-up day on Peas with Activeviii - a large thank you

Thunderbird

Determined to give me a good day on the pigeons after our rather niggardly bag a few weeks ago, Activeviii and I once again headed out today for an afternoon decoying on some 'lost' pea crop. Despite being a bit decrepit we managed to get all our gear over the other side of the field thanks to a large fishing trolley. Note to self, next time take several sherpas and a punka-wallah. And a foot spa for the hide.

After carefully determining our hide location, changing our mind, changing it again, then changing it again, up we set and before long the birds started coming in. Wasn't a windy day so many were pretty high and not many decoyed properly into the pattern, but we persevered and picked up around 115 birds at the end, with sadly a few lost due to 'sporting' shots taken at high birds who, whilst knocked down, were lost behind.

All in all a brilliant day and thanks to Activeviii and his dogs.

post-20252-0-89876100-1345753733_thumb.jpg

Well done for moving around before settling down to the business . A good result.

I reckon we spent the best part of an hour on the field lugging the stuff then just walking about, watching for flight lines, that kind of thing. We did consider a spot at right angles to where we ended up but it just didn't feel right. As it was we weren't quite on the flight line and as I say it wasn't windy at all, in fact some completely becalmed periods, but we did OK, considering.

I have just sat down after spending 3 hours trying to get all the sticky balls out the cockers coats.

I spent 4 hours the day before looking for birds. found them in 3 different areas but this place i chose had a large unshot group of birds feeding all summer, only shot at on other areas. shame it was one hell of a walk to get to where we needed to be.

I don't like setting up on a badger set bet that should have been were we set up. Im keen, but not that keen, stinking pigs.

where i decided was wind, what little there was, would be coming from left to right. i changed the pattern about 6 times to just try and get the birds to decoy a little tighter but they just didn't what to do it.

Thunderbirds second time on pigeons. first time was not good with one very jealous old man shooting at us. another story for another day.

My hat of to TB, 10 good left rights, many birds had oxygen masks on. a lot of carts used but he got into the swing of it in the end. 133 birds shot but as TB said, a few over the fields behind, cut off but a stream.

Right that's 3 of you taken out on the pigeons with 385+ birds shot. I just have to try and get one other person out to experience pigeon shooting. Henderson's, get your butt over here and shoot some birds.

Anyway, your more than welcome TB, good company again always make for a better day. I might try shooting some myself one day.lol

My hat of to TB, 10 good left rights.

I was pretty pleased with that. After a bit of deliberation I decided to take my Beretta sporter as it's the one gun I know for a fact I can shoot well with and have won (a small) amount of money on the clays using. It didn't half whack me in the face as I'm less used to shooting gun down and the butt was catching in my t-shirt so sometimes my mount was well-dodgy. I think next time I'll take the trusty old 1100, nice and slidey on the butt ( ;)) and easier to load in the hide too.

We had a big hide though, semi-detached you might say. I still think the foot spa is a good idea and could catch on.

good bag, and good day :good: well done again activevii for taking someone out again and giving them some shooting, we couldn,t do that at all this year with the way the birds have been, struggling to make a bag ourselfs

I've been struggling all year to find birds, small bags, but when i find, i do try to invited someone out that otherwise, wouldn't be able to shot pigeons. just my way of thanking people for all they have done for me in the past. :good:

I have just sat down after spending 3 hours trying to get all the sticky balls out the cockers coats.

I spent 4 hours the day before looking for birds. found them in 3 different areas but this place i chose had a large unshot group of birds feeding all summer, only shot at on other areas. shame it was one hell of a walk to get to where we needed to be.

I don't like setting up on a badger set bet that should have been were we set up. Im keen, but not that keen, stinking pigs.

where i decided was wind, what little there was, would be coming from left to right. i changed the pattern about 6 times to just try and get the birds to decoy a little tighter but they just didn't what to do it.

Thunderbirds second time on pigeons. first time was not good with one very jealous old man shooting at us. another story for another day.

My hat of to TB, 10 good left rights, many birds had oxygen masks on. a lot of carts used but he got into the swing of it in the end. 133 birds shot but as TB said, a few over the fields behind, cut off but a stream.

Right that's 3 of you taken out on the pigeons with 385+ birds shot. I just have to try and get one other person out to experience pigeon shooting. Henderson's, get your butt over here and shoot some birds.

Anyway, your more than welcome TB, good company again always make for a better day. I might try shooting some myself one day.lol

Good man you for taking these guys out!

Great right up and picture as well :good: :good:

Cos

I will take novices out as long as their expectations are not too great. It does put added pressure on though when one is trying to give someone a good day.

On another thread I have offered 'Welsh Lamb' a day on bean stubbles next month. Next month that is if the farmers ever get to harvest said beans.