Getting a dog from a rescue centre - would you?

-Mongrel-

Following this comment from another thread, 'And dont get a dog from a rescue center.in my opinion they should all be closed and the animals should be put down and not rehomed.'

It got me wondering, how many people have rehomed a dog with particularly good or bad results?

Would you recommend it, and if so why or not?

Would you take on a gundog that had been pre-owned and once again, why or why not?

I should declare that I am in the pro rehoming camp, but, I'd only really consider a young dog. My Ridgeback X was 16 weeks old when we got him from the RSPCA so hadn't really had time to learn any really bad habits.

Edited by -Mongrel-

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best dog I ever had, a long haired gsd, came from a rescue centre. Ben was 18 months old when I got him. He had some issues at first. After a bit of work he turned out to be the most loyal and eager to please dog I ever had. Still miss him even though he has been gone 10 years now.

I took in a male springer (Henry) that was approx 14 months old and was a complete nervous wreck and would soil and wee if approached and if on a lead would throttle himself trying to get as far away from you as he could ~ he was pitifull and the charity weren't hopeful of anyone taking him on.

We fostered him, (we had a similar aged pup that we had from 10weeks old) Henry had free run along with Beau' and it was as if they'd always been together, We just got on with life and let him look on and come round in his own time, gradually his trust and confidence came on in leaps and bounds, we never let the dog home have him back :)

I'd do it again if I could.

Following this comment from another thread, 'And dont get a dog from a rescue center.in my opinion they should all be closed and the animals should be put down and not rehomed.'

It got me wondering, how many people have rehomed a dog with particularly good or bad results?

Would you take on a gundog that had been pre-owned and once again, why or why not?

I should declare that I am in the pro rehoming camp, but, I'd only really consider a young dog. My Ridgeback X was 16 weeks old when we got him from the RSPCA so hadn't really had time to learn any really bad habits.

Surely the RSPCA shoot all dogs dont they or so Im led to believe....... RSPCA rescue centre surely not :whistling:

I have rehomed two one from a friend and turned out a great dog,the second from a new family who should not of had a dog the dog in mention has some issues to say the least. my point in closing resucue centers is that for unown reasons the animals have gone to them because of some reason or other most likely bad so why pass on to another owner,like buying a car from the autions.My 2nd dog with the issues is now around 6 and still would not not trust with most other people.Im not a great believer in having dogs as pets either,but hey each to their own just seams a waste of dog.

All so a long time ago my parents rehomed a big yellow lab that in the end had to be put down due to biting (didnt realy bit just turned round with its mouth open)a small child this was not the dogs fault and it was on a lead the child did somthing to it.

I have been brought up and around working dogs which has been passed down the generations.

The best dog I ever had, a long haired gsd, came from a rescue centre. Ben was 18 months old when I got him. He had some issues at first. After a bit of work he turned out to be the most loyal and eager to please dog I ever had. Still miss him even though he has been gone 10 years now.

Along the same lines - we got our old girl from a rescue home - GSDxDobie at about 10 months old - she's 15 now ! Had a few issues through mistreatment for a while(still doesn't like strangers in hoodies or face covered) but has ben a great girl (see my avatar) :good:

Surely the RSPCA shoot all dogs dont they or so Im led to believe....... RSPCA rescue centre surely not :whistling:

I had no idea what you were on about so just Googled it...almost unbelievable! Someone will have paid for that decision with their job one hopes, anyway, back on track, fortunately my RSPCA rescue centre dog was better treated and has turned out an absolute cracker of a mutt.

Our last 3 dogs's have all been from rescue centre's and all have been faithfull and loving , These are as pet's and not working dogs and we would not have without them although Holly our present one has an affinity for shredding Duvet's ,That comment about putting them all down is just a pathetic response from someone who does not know any better.

Whoever said that obviously doesn't know the first thing about dogs or "rehoming kennels" and should be strung up by the short and curlies!

Over the last 5 years we (My wife and I) have fostered and helped several dozen dogs for Manchester Dogs Home, prefering to take on the dogs that were said to have "issues"! Out of all of the dogs that we have fostered and helped only one actually tried to sink it's teeth into me - And that was my fault more than the dog's! After being fostered and having a little training from us EVERY ONE OF THEM HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFULLY RE-HOMED and gone to permenent homes without any issues or complaints!

The biggest proportion of the dogs you find needing homes from these "Rescue Centres" or "Dogs Homes" are there through no fault of their own and any "issues" that they might have were in the majority of cases caused by the previous owners.

There is no reason why a dog from a "rehomiong centre" should not, with a lot of patience, understanding and kindness, make an ideal family pet. Once it has learned that it can trust and rely on you it is likely to turn out to be one of the most trustworthy and faithful companions that you will ever have had!

Edited by Frenchieboy

My only advice would b to let the dog choose u, not the other way round. I'd only ever have a puppy, but that's opinion.

If that was the case I'd have ended up with a very energetic young Staffie, thankfully not, my preference.

My dog was a cold, wet, smelly, lonely and disinterested puppy that sat in a corner not really interested in anything or anyone, he wasn't thriving being on his own at that age. the transformation when we got him home was swift and wonderful to watch. If I'd let the dog choose me he'd not have even been on the starting list. Fortunately, I knew what i wanted nad he was very close to that.

And dont get a dog from a rescue center.in my opinion they should all be closed and the animals should be put down and not rehomed.'

The person who's comment you've posted is an ignorant person who clearly has no knowledge of dogs or rescue centers. I sincerely hope they do not have any involvement with any dogs (or other animals for that matter) as they're clearly useless.

I'm not sure what method of dispatch they use (i.e whether it's by shooting or not), but it is very true that they do not re-home many dogs. They are run for money, and will only re-home the ones that are easily done, and enough to get good publicity to continue getting donations from old dears who think they're marvelous.

And yes, I have a rescue collie which I've had for some time. She had been badly abused (details unknown), and had been taken to be put down. With time and training, she has now turned out to be the best working dog and pet I've ever encountered.

The person who's comment you've posted is an ignorant person who clearly has no knowledge of dogs or rescue centers. I sincerely hope they do not have any involvement with any dogs (or other animals for that matter) as they're clearly useless.

I'm not sure what method of dispatch they use (i.e whether it's by shooting or not), but it is very true that they do not re-home many dogs. They are run for money, and will only re-home the ones that are easily done, and enough to get good publicity to continue getting donations from old dears who think they're marvelous.

And yes, I have a rescue collie which I've had for some time. She had been badly abused (details unknown), and had been taken to be put down. With time and training, she has now turned out to be the best working dog and pet I've ever encountered.

I Albert 888 posted it.i have two rehomed dogs,maybe from private owners but still rehomed.Both dogs work well for me but the second dog could have been rehomed to family then nibbled a small child.

I got my little JR from an RSPCA type place I was a bit surprised that it cost me £90 as I was expecting to have to give a donation but not that much after all I was doing them a favour by tacking the dog off there hands.

Having said that I could not have wished for a nicer little chap he was so good that on the second day that I had him I could let him off the lead and he came back when I called him he was four years old when I got him and it took him several months before he would let me touch his paws or his tail but he is fine now.

Yep I agree, I grew up around working dogs and all dogs should work in one way or another, 'pet' dogs do my head in.

So you think that pet dogs do nothing do you all that I can say is you have no idea about dogs different people have dogs for different reasons who are you to say that your so called working dog is more important than.

An old ladies pet dog her husband has died the children have moved away looking for work I can assure you my fried that here pet dog as you call it means more to here than your dogs ever could as it would seem to me that you regard them as tools to use and throw away when they are of no further use.