Stringing up crows?

MagiKelly

The farmer where I have my permission likes me to leave the shot crows so he can string them up from the fence posts. He seems sure this acts as a deterrent. I'm not convinced but not going to argue as I keep the pigeons and want to stay on his good side.

Is this a common thing and is there any truth in it?

I should say the fence line is out of the way and does not get any passing walkers so the crows hanging there will not offend anyone.

I'm kind of glad to hear this happens all over. I knew about how moles used to be strung up to show the mole catcher was doing his job and also knew it was very much frowned upon now. I was a little concerned this was the same sort of thing but it seems it is, at least notionally, being done as a deterrent so justifiable on that level.

Used to do it where I worked, they swore by it. With the wings pinned out i think it does keep them away, anyone who shoots crows knows they're very intelligent, so I have no doubt that they can see a crow pinned out and figure out that it may not be a sensible place for them to go to.

We used to use it on small fields that were hit by crows, and after wrapping silage which the crows would often attack and puncture the plastic.

I'd guess it's a bit of both in some cases. Though they may indicate they think it works it would be difficult for a shooter to claim he got 40 when he only got 6 last Friday morning. Nor could he say he got only got a dozen on a very quiet day... so quiet in fact because he werent even there. :shifty: