which .223

kingnewport

I always think when looking for a new gun always check the second hand market and get a model that you know you will be able to shift on someday.

Most of us are more or less gun slags, so you might change it in a year or two. Sorry I can't help with model, though I'll be looking for one myself soon enough..

I bought a browning A bolt in 223 2 years ago, it was 500 quid brand new, its got the black synthetic stock and clover leafs with various ammo at 100 yds, the foxes dont like it one bit. I,m more than happy with it for the price. As for the howa and the remmy I cant comment mate but they are both good guns,

ATB Flynny

I have the howa 1500 sporter in .223 and it's great ,groups well and really a howa is a weatherby both made on the same action, got mine for £485 new altho I wanted a tikka what was 250 more im more than happy with the howa, mine shoots all rounds the Ppu 55g shoot well and there a cheap .223 round at £48 per 100, using federal 40g v-shock and it loves them there alittle more tho at £24 per 20, so yes I could recommend you the howa :)

a lot depends on your budget, .223 is a caliber where you can buy decent guns second hand. I've a remi 700 in .223 bought 2nd hand but with hogue stock and trigger replaced and it does shoot very well as a package I think it was £600 with mod. They are functional and have pretty much the largest range of parts you can modify. T3's always get good reviews, what you need to work out is budget, and what you intend to use it for so weight really. Lamping from a vehicle its irrelevant but if you walk about much with it then its far more important.

have a look at the CZ527 range, dedicated small centrefire. all sorts of variants from a HS Kevlar stocked Varmint to the lighterweight sleek lines of the American. Good bluing and no plasic. howas are basically remmington clones. i have never owned a Howa though i have had Remmington 700's and although they have all shot ok the quality is no better and often worse than the CZ at substantially more money nowadays one wouldn't come into the reconing for me. The T3 is not a bad gun but there is lots of plastic and if i was on the market for a small centrefire i should only consider one built on a dedicated small action personally or you loose a lot of the advantages.

Pastic is nice and light though kent :yp:

I bought a tikka m55 built about 80s I think and it's all metal but I don't see any advantages to it? Plastic doesn't rust either

There is no good reason to make your bottom iron out of the stuff outside of extra manufacturer profits. I have never had rust issues with such a part. The advantages are metal gives greater rigidity for fitting magazine releases and better action screw tentions

A used 527 sporter in walnut looks to be your best option for your budget of £3-400 after our conversation yesterday.

heck you could get a nice one for that, i paid 630 for an american screwcut brand new 12mnths ago and this model comes with mounts and isn't the cheapest