Favorite quarry?

wildfowler.250

Just thinking about this and struggeling to decide what's my favorite.

Geese it's Canada's as we only see them for about 1-2 weeks before they clear off south and then pinks. Mallard are probably 3rd on the list.

What about everyone else's? I know if I was down south then the novelty of Canada's would wear off and pinks would be top of the list :good:

My fav would be the pink, Not just the single bird but the whole expierience of the estuaries they inhabit and the calling of the skeins just gets me everytime, if I could only chase one bird it would be them.

I have never even seen a whitefront but there call is ment to be pretty magical and I hope to see some this year on my travels.

The drakes of all our species of duck are pretty spectacular and I never tire of admiring them when fortunate enough to bag one, I intend to start having them mounted for my new soon to be built man room :good:

Never see any pinks down here, but we do get a few whitefronts. I have never got under them but have had them fly past about 100 yards away and it was magical. They are top of my goose list.

I have yet to shoot a drake pintail, as we don't have them in great numbers. So that is top of my duck list

Totally forgot about whitefronts, can't shoot them here! Don't get a lot of pintail either. Managed a R&L last year and they are in the freezer for the taxidermist. Shoveler is on my list but not likely :good:

The drakes of all our species of duck are pretty spectacular and I never tire of admiring them when fortunate enough to bag one, I intend to start having them mounted for my new soon to be built man room :good:

Sounds good! And you're right about the pinks being hard to beat. Especially in large numbers; the noise is something else!

Totally forgot about whitefronts, can't shoot them here! Don't get a lot of pintail either. Managed a R&L last year and they are in the freezer for the taxidermist. Shoveler is on my list but not likely :good:

I had a hen shoveler last year, but missed the drake. The hen isn't much to look at (like most ducks) but i agree the drake is stunning :good:

ooo! you dont wanna go shooting shovel bills thet taste like dirt. Got to be a pinkfoot for me, it also one of my most favourtite table birds- roasted stuffed with vodka soaked damsons its very hard to beat it (left overs from boose making). The best looking bird on the marsh (also the hardest to hit IMO) is the drake pintail, though its hard to beat the" wink-wink" of a skein of pinks approaching your location

Edited by kent

ooo! you dont wanna go shooting shovel bills thet taste like dirt. Got to be a pinkfoot for me, it also one of my most favourtite table birds- roasted stuffed with vodka soaked damsons its very hard to beat it (left overs from boose making). The best looking bird on the marsh (also the hardest to hit IMO) is the drake pintail, though its hard to beat the" wink-wink" of a skein of pinks approaching your location

Are the shovelers that bad? Maybe launch it into a curry so you can't taste anything :lol: do you get much pintail down your way? Out of interest, what makes you think they are so hard to shoot? I've always thought real were bad but that's usually because you can't see them coming!

Hopefully get a few yearling pinks this year :drool:

Teal*

For me nothing matches the sleak streamlines apparence of a drake pintail in full winter plumage. Their scarceity also adds to the apeal of shooting one. manage 3-6 most seasons , but unfortunity most pass through my marshes in early autumn when they are not in breeding plumage. Though on the the table nothing comes anywhere near a corn fed mallard.

My favorite geese are white fronts. The barred belly of an old gander is magnificant and again they have a scarce value as i am lucky to bag one or two a season. There are perhaps a thousand in two of the areas I shoot , but white fronts are very good at keeping to protected areas. But on the table canada is the best eating bird for me.

Very fortunate that in this part of Wales we see a lot of Pintail.I shot 10 last season 8 of which were wonderfully marked drakes.We get a few Canadas and greys but not seen other goose species.

Having done my early wildfowling years on the Kent marshes, must say I miss the excitement of those incredible Teal flights,the sound of a flight approaching still tingles the spine .and made for some fantastic sport.

Alas very few Teal around this area only shot one all season,but the Pintail and sometimes numerous Widgeon provide some great flights.

Cant wait for the 1st still as excited at 61 as i was 40 years ago.

I had a hen shoveler last year, but missed the drake. The hen isn't much to look at (like most ducks) but i agree the drake is stunning :good:

You always prefer the blokes don't you?

Seriously, I'm looking forward to my first season out there so my short-term favourite will be my first, which is a moment I hope to never forget.

Very fortunate that in this part of Wales we see a lot of Pintail.I shot 10 last season 8 of which were wonderfully marked drakes.We get a few Canadas and greys but not seen other goose species.

Having done my early wildfowling years on the Kent marshes, must say I miss the excitement of those incredible Teal flights,the sound of a flight approaching still tingles the spine .and made for some fantastic sport.

Alas very few Teal around this area only shot one all season,but the Pintail and sometimes numerous Widgeon provide some great flights.

Cant wait for the 1st still as excited at 61 as i was 40 years ago.

Jesus Tony 61, be careful your zimmer doesn't get stuck in the mud :shout: . Leave a few of those pinnies for me, not as many over the other side for some reason, but plenty more Teal you'll be pleased to hear, a morning flight where we went on the moon last season will get you amongst them pal.

Jesus Tony 61, be careful your zimmer doesn't get stuck in the mud :shout: . Leave a few of those pinnies for me, not as many over the other side for some reason, but plenty more Teal you'll be pleased to hear, a morning flight where we went on the moon last season will get you amongst them pal.

Cheers bud,got a zimmer sledge for the season :shifty: going to be like my own marsh this season without you and dav.looking forward to going over that side will almost be like the saltings fom early years.Thought I had a lab sorted the guy took him out threw a dummy for him and didnt see him for an hour lol..

For me its the drake pintail, superb looking bird. We normally get a decent number on the Washes.

I had one stuffed and mounted and placed in a glass case. There is a storey behind this but...another time.

Eating wise......Duck.......Mallard and Teal.......Goose......Canada.

my favourite has to be teal, we get quite a few here in shetland. i love them springing out of a ditch or burn on a cold frosty day. geese is nearly loosing its appeal as there are so many here all the time, it used to be when i started shooting that to get in the teens per season was good but now you could shoot in the teens in a morning. there is still something very special about goose talk at dawn though.