.22-250 trajectory

If I sight my .22-250 in at 50 yards, what is my trajectory like out to 200? I'm planning using Norma 50g vmax.

I have places where I can shoot out to further than 50 yards obviously but my most comfy zeroing location ends at 50. Do you think I will be pretty much point and shoot out to 200?

Do most ranges not allow the .250?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy answer is dont guess, try it on paper. This sort of attitude behind" tell me were my gun might shoot" posts is very poor- if you dont know then dont shoot. As always drop will create less medium long range misses than windage errors , gennerally poor shooting and lack of practice at said ranges

Do most ranges not allow the .250?

If you're asking the question for the obvious reason - this is what you've been told by one - then yes, whereas I can no longer remember the specifics and each may well vary anyway ( other than those of a set design as per military versions), many ranges have an upper MV limit which the 250 may well exceed.

Easy answer is dont guess, try it on paper. This sort of attitude behind" tell me were my gun might shoot" posts is very poor- if you dont know then dont shoot. As always drop will create less medium long range misses than windage errors , gennerally poor shooting and lack of practice at said ranges

No more to be said :good:

Very hard to say in theory it should be very close but you really won't know for certain without trying and really going from zeroing at 50 to live game at 200 is a bit naughty.

Providing his MV is within a few fps of the ballistic tables, which vitually all factory load ammunition is, the science will hold true. Human error is another matter entirely.

Foxes aren't "live game". They are vermin. Your not going to eat a fox.......

I really, really hope that you're not saying what you appear to be. Would you care to expand on this , just to clarify it?

Many thanks

I think its pretty hard to mis understand such moronic comments personally, you too kind. If it walks like a dog looks like a dog, barks and wags its tail it probebly not a gerbil

I find it a tad confusing your asking for drop/trajectory for a rifle you also use on Roe, i understand you will possibly be using different weight bullets for Fox and Roe, personaly i wouldnt bother with the change. You are surley aware of the drop when your Deer shooting :hmm:.

If you need to know what the drop is at any chosen range than may i suggest you place your zero targets at that range and not guestimate or take measurements from other peoples guesses, Get out there and put some holes in paper at ranges up to say 300yds it will make you a better rifleman quicker than listening to most of the advice given on here :good: And IMHO a far better way to learn.

Providing his MV is within a few fps of the ballistic tables, which vitually all factory load ammunition is, the science will hold true. Human error is another matter entirely.

Foxes aren't "live game". They are vermin. Your not going to eat a fox.......

all sorts of errors can creep in from the person behind the trigger to issues with scopes and barrels some will shoot absolutely fine at 50 and at 200 be way out. The only way to know is to shoot, If you are happy wounding foxes then fine but I'd prefer not to for starters educate them and secondly wound and not pick up. I've shot 2 this year that have been injured, one had a line down its jaw and half its teeth removed and the other a broken leg. Its not acceptable our ground is full of lamp shy ones and I'm starting to get the idea why!!

I get the idea about being close to theory but if a new shooter picks up a rifle I can lay money on their 200 yard group being miles away from their 50 yard one size wise

I think its pretty hard to mis understand such moronic comments personally, you too kind. If it walks like a dog looks like a dog, barks and wags its tail it probebly not a gerbil

Before we get into the petty name calling..........consider this.

Opinions are like buses.Wait around long enough and the one you want will eventually turn up. If is does to the same destination, in this case a dead fox, and you're not forcefully made to board. Their validity remains equall.

Of course there are some people who think their "breath" doesn't stink..

Hows this? If you clarify what it is that you think I might appear to be saying, I'll then tell you if you're right or wrong.

Atb

Fair dos.

Could you explain what you mean by your words that I quoted at Post #11?

You say that as foxes aren't game but just vermin and not to be eaten. But then you leave the various options of your meaning open to our individual interpretation.

There is one obvious aspect that doesn't bear thinking about and I was just interested in ensuring that that is not the one that you had in mind.

Many thanks

Fair dos.

Could you explain what you mean by your words that I quoted at Post #11?

You say that as foxes aren't game but just vermin and not to be eaten. But then you leave the various options of your meaning open to our individual interpretation.

There is one obvious aspect that doesn't bear thinking about and I was just interested in ensuring that that is not the one that you had in mind.

Many thanks

What options?Tthey are either game or they aren't. So as not to be too cryptic in my reply. They aren't.!

Again clarify what it is that you fear that I might or might not be be thinking about and I'll tell you if your right or wrong.

Atb

Al4x

Some of us do this as a hobby, some of us don't . Arrivederci

precisely, but whichever way you go even you as a hobby shooter should want to be pretty sure you are going to be able to kill a fox at a specific range. You sure don't build that ability behind a computer the fact it says it will hit at 200 is very different to actually doing it.

What options?Tthey are either game or they aren't. So as not to be too cryptic in my reply. They aren't.!

Again clarify what it is that you fear that I might or might not be be thinking about and I'll tell you if your right or wrong.

Atb

OK.

I thought that I was being polite and my question was straight forward enough but it seems that you're more into cryptic.

Consequently, see what you can come up with with this little conundrum:

Arange into a well known phrase or saying adding additional words where necessary: Much protest methinks doth.

precisely, but whichever way you go even you as a hobby shooter should want to be pretty sure you are going to be able to kill a fox at a specific range. You sure don't build that ability behind a computer the fact it says it will hit at 200 is very different to actually doing it.

Foxes are not hard to kill. They are rather lightly structured.

Sitting behind a computer and saying you can't/shouldn't do it is no different. IMO. Holes in paper off a bench in daylight and holes in foxes off the wing mirror at night are not necessarily the same thing. So until you try you'll never know,