what caused me to do this???

mr williamson

hi guys

i was at my local sporting ground on wed evening after work. so i could get some practice in, on my first round i shot a fairly respectable 27/30 so i was feeling confident that i may enter the prizes on my second round, on the first 2 stands i shot well with 2 straight 10s and now the preasure was begining to build for the last stand. so standing in line to wait my turn on the stand, they were a left and a right crosser out at around 20/25 yards. id mised 2 on this stand on my previous round. my name was called and i went and stood in the cage, the first six wer killed, i then called for the bird and just before pulling the trigger i took my eyes off the bird and focussed on the muzzles and missed 3 targets and killed the last after i snapped out of looking at the muzzles. is this over confidence or lack of concentration???

regards carl

Edited by mr williamson

My mate has just won the British Open skeet championship with the only straight 100 in over 400 entries.

We shot the Northern selection shoots where there were about 40 entries each shoot, There were 2 straights in each of the 4 shoots but no one managed a straight in the championship.

Nerves play a big part in any competition.

At the championship one competitor shot 99 any couldn`t shoot at the last bird, trigger freeze.

Bill

Edited by pontbeck

il get there in the end hopefully lol. i rarely shoot clays as i shoot over decoys alot. when i first started i shot clays all the time but in the last 18months not alot. and you no something, all nerves aside i realy enjoyed it. il be doing it more as i enjoyed the competition side of it again. do you think i would benefit from a lesson?

some good advice guys thanks again

So you were shooting after work and missed a few , mmm , the reason you missed pal is because you were probably thinking of what your going to eat for tea ....lol. Only joking pal were all human mistakes will happen just have fun, BUT if you want advice or help seriously give Beretta a tinkle he REALLY knows his stuff :) :)

Definitely sounds like its in your head not your hands.......http://www.clayshootingsuccess.co.uk/ might be worth having a look at. I saw the Olympic skeet final and they can all shoot! but Vincent Hancock was incredible. On a side note met Nasser Al-Attiyah on Friday really nice guy.

Edited by HDAV

Certainly a break in your mental routine, as many others have commented on this, you tried to hit them rather than let your subconscious take over and shoot them. You can never not benefit from a lesson with a good coach, making sure your technical approach is well drilled and also focusing on the mental side too.