myxymatosis!!

mr williamson

Hi guys

iv always had a health stock of rabbits on my ground. I reduce there numbers when needed. But what i saw this morning upset me! There are v little or no rabbits in a 10mile radius of my grounds and for years the bunnies on my ground have been fit and healthy. I am a hunter but i absolutely hate seeing any animal suffer. Thismorning i found a rabbit riddled with mixy, eyes swollen and oozing, loss of weight, the poor thing was hardly able to breath. I dispatched it as quickly as i could. This is the first one iv seen and it was well developed. I would hate to think someone had delibratley put a mixy rabbit on my land out os jealousy or spite.

Hi Mr W, it's not just in your area, and I doubt if anyone would "infect" an area with myxi out of spite or jealousy.

I shoot down in east Kent, and have the same as you :angry:

Also, I'm in touch with a couple of other shooters around the country. Cambridgshire is quite rife with it, some parts of Devon have it, and the Midlands too. Basically everywhere, but,,,, on my shoots, which are very small rural gardens and horse paddocks, there are some adjacent areas that have a healthy, thriving population of rabbits.

One theory that has been suggested, is that myxi is appearing in the vicinity of railways through the land ??? Not always, but in quite a lot of cases. Theories are only that, and my mind is open, but my shoots are directly next to a main line track, and as I said, myxi has done my work for me.

My sentiments are the same as yours,,,, I enjoy being out there, doing a "job" with pleasure, and hate seeing any creature suffering.

Hope it improves for you, as it probably will, as rabbits will never completely disappear :shifty:

atb

Chris

That theory makes sense. The bottom line though is that when it's hot or when cold the rabbit will go underground to be cool/warm and the fleas await

Yeah, that of course is correct.

Another option/theory to the OP..... There is nothing to stop farmers/land owners picking up infected rabbits and introduce them to certain areas :sad1: Unseen of course, as I'm sure we all know that is illegal :innocent:

Anyway, it is, and always will be, an ongoing battle,,,, especially for the bunnies :eh:

Another option/theory to the OP..... There is nothing to stop farmers/land owners picking up infected rabbits and introduce them to certain areas :sad1: Unseen of course, as I'm sure we all know that is illegal :innocent:

Is it illegal? just wondering what law they would break,

Pests act 1954.

12 Spreading of myxomatosis.A person shall be guilty of an offence if he knowingly uses or permits the use of a rabbit infected with myxomatosis to spread the disease among uninfected rabbits and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding twenty pounds or, if he has been previously convicted of such an offence, a fine not exceeding fifty pounds:

Pests act 1954.

12 Spreading of myxomatosis.A person shall be guilty of an offence if he knowingly uses or permits the use of a rabbit infected with myxomatosis to spread the disease among uninfected rabbits and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding twenty pounds or, if he has been previously convicted of such an offence, a fine not exceeding fifty pounds:

Thank you kind sir :good:

Hi guys

iv always had a health stock of rabbits on my ground. I reduce there numbers when needed. But what i saw this morning upset me! There are v little or no rabbits in a 10mile radius of my grounds and for years the bunnies on my ground have been fit and healthy. I am a hunter but i absolutely hate seeing any animal suffer. Thismorning i found a rabbit riddled with mixy, eyes swollen and oozing, loss of weight, the poor thing was hardly able to breath. I dispatched it as quickly as i could. This is the first one iv seen and it was well developed. I would hate to think someone had delibratley put a mixy rabbit on my land out os jealousy or spite.

I'm in the North west as well and I've had a report of myxy rabbits within a mile of two of my shooting areas. In my experience it comes in waves every four years and it's due now. Populations always seem to bounce back in the following year, at least in my experience.

I knew it was illegal to introduce myxy, but the fines are now laughable, not that I suspect anyone has done it on your ground. I've never heard even a rumour of anyone doing such a nasty stunt.

Mxy is carried by fleas, which if remember right have a slower reproduction rate as the rabbits, as rabbit population increases during the summer, the fleas can move around from burrow to burrow infecting the bunnies as they go. Most of them starve to death,not being able to find food, owing to the blindness from the puffy up eyes.

British rabbits are slowly building a resistance to mxy, with some recovering from it and then pass this resistance on to their offspring.

I remember once in the 90s, when working with a bunch of tree hugging hippy archaeologists, I found an extremely infected rabbit, which I promptly (and sadly) dispatched with a pick axe handle. It was only after this did they tell me they were all card carrying members of the LACS and Class War. When I tried to explain about mxy and it's effects I was informed that if the "Rich", (whom were all destined for the wall) didn't live in big houses and own all the land, then they couldn't breed rabbits for sport and then mxy wouldn't be an issue. Not much point saying much after that.

You can spread mixy yourself without meaning to by shooting an animal and discarding it when you discover its infected. Rabbits will sniff a dead body and then the fleas jump ship. There's not much you can do unless you remove all infected carcases and incinerate them and whose going to do that? I tend to leave mixy rabbits in the top of the hedge so the crows eat them. Carrying them even a short distance from the area where they were shot is a bad idea as it risks spreading the disease.

You can spread mixy yourself without meaning to by shooting an animal and discarding it when you discover its infected. Rabbits will sniff a dead body and then the fleas jump ship. There's not much you can do unless you remove all infected carcases and incinerate them and whose going to do that? I tend to leave mixy rabbits in the top of the hedge so the crows eat them. Carrying them even a short distance from the area where they were shot is a bad idea as it risks spreading the disease.

All my myxi rabbits go in the freezer [carefully wrapped] then on to a BOP/Animal Centre.

They are the favourite of the resident Cheetah's and Huskies, and the offal goes to the various raptors :good: