Cormorants - Angling trust campaign- Help needed

pegasus bridge

I pulled this from the angling trust site- if you fish, you will understand why these birds need to go on the General Licences, and if you don't fish, well you might get some cormorant shooting out of it!

full details here ;

http://www.anglingtrust.net/page.asp?section=828&sectionTitle=Action+on+Cormorants

But - this is the gist of it - they need us to contact our MP's to register our support for this :

Action on Cormorants:

Template to use to send your MP an email

You can find your MP’s name at www.theyworkforyou.com and email them directly through that website.

Copy and paste text below into your email and add any other points you wish.

Letter Template :

Dear [insert name of your MP here],

I am your constituent and one of hundreds of thousands of anglers who are desperately concerned at the plight of our freshwater fish stocks which have been severely damaged by the increased level of predation by cormorants and goosanders.

Over the last 25 years, over-wintering cormorant numbers have expanded from around 2,000 to as high as 27,000 with each bird eating at least 1lb of fish a day – a total of 4,000 tonnes a year. This is simply unsustainable and is doing massive damage to the biodiversity of our rivers, lakes and canals and to the other wildlife that require healthy fish stocks to survive. In some rivers, indigenous fish species such as the roach, which have thrived since the ice-age, are facing near wipe out. This cannot be allowed to happen. There are 3.5 million anglers in the UK generating £3.5 billion for the economy and sustaining 37,000 jobs. Without sustainable fish stocks, all this is at risk.

The current licensing system for controlling cormorant numbers is woefully inadequate and fails to protect declining fish stocks. Countries such as France have taken effective action, so why can’t we?

As my MP I’m asking you to support the measures being proposed, on behalf of Britain’s anglers, by the Angling Trust, the Salmon and Trout Association, the Angling Trades Association, the Avon Roach Project and the other supporting fisheries and wildlife organisations to add cormorants and goosanders to the general shooting licence so that their numbers can be more effectively controlled and our fisheries better protected.

I would also be grateful if you would become a parliamentary supporter of the Angling Trust's Action on Cormorants campaign. You can add your name to the list at www.anglingtrust.net/cormorants where you can also see a film about the problem.

Your support would be greatly appreciated by the thousands of anglers in this region and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

[Add Your Name]

Ive just got my new paperwork through to control the Corms on a lake near me. You would not believe the rules and regulations you must adhere to.

Whoever makes these rules etc up is obviously not a fisherman.

The season is from 1st sept - 15 april and i am allowed to shoot 6 in that time. Is that a joke or what ?.

Which means if i shoot 6 the other 5 chaps on licence cant shoot any. Yeah right.

Edited by samboy

Ive just got my new paperwork through to control the Corms on a lake near me. You would not believe the rules and regulations you must adhere to.

Whoever makes these rules etc up is obviously not a fisherman.

well, hopefully we can get the government to see sense and stick the horrible black fish eating vermin on the general licences, at the moment they enjoy protection whilst damaging fish stocks.

Sent to my mate Mr Skidmore, lets see what the reply is.

We were only discussing the issue of the cormorants last weekend after some work on one of our lakes...

the amount i have seen down by the river avon near to me, well they must be taking high numbers of fish........i would gladly pop them off

got a reply from my mp ben gummer (ipswich) very prompt reply saying he understands our problem, he also sent me a copy of a letter from him to mr richard benyon parlimentary under secretary of state at the department for environment,food and rural affairs, who has responsibility for waterways and fishing, he will let me know of any reply, cheers matt

got a reply from my mp ben gummer (ipswich) very prompt reply saying he understands our problem, he also sent me a copy of a letter from him to mr richard benyon parlimentary under secretary of state at the department for environment,food and rural affairs, who has responsibility for waterways and fishing, he will let me know of any reply, cheers matt

hats off to Ben Gummer :good:

got a reply from my MP, he forwarded a copy of the reply he received from Richard Benyon MP, Minister for Natural Environment and Fisheries, I have had to type it out as I could not copy and paste it. it goes -

Thank you for letter of 1st October to the Secretary of State enclosing a copy of an email from your constituent 'supersport' about the impact of cormorants and goosanders on inland fisheries. I am replying as the Minister responsible for this policy area.

We are aware that bird predation on fish stocks is an issue that can raise strong feelings for those who fish, or derive an income from fishing.

Defra is carrying out a review of the current policy in relation to managing the impact of predation on inland fisheries from cormorants, goosanders and red-breasted mergansers.the review is looking at the licensing process, management tools for controlling fish eating birds where they cause, or are likely to cause, serious damage to inland fisheries, and the levels of lethal control employed as part of the current management regime.

The review is expected to report to Ministers later this year. Once completed the outcomes of the review will be made publicly available.

A paper outlining what the review will consider has been published on the Defra website at:

www.defra.gov.uk/publications/2011/07/12/pb13588-impacts-predation

Your constituent's comments on this matter have been noted and passed to the relevant Defra officials

Richard Benyon