Razor blades are we being ripped off

fenboy

De razors for me as well - better shave, you just have to take a little more time over shaving, it's a totally different technique to the standard razors, if you apply pressure and rush you will carve yourself up! I rarely nick myself now.

Any of you se shavers use feather blades? They are seriously sharp, brilliant blades.

Ive used Feather blades for the last 3 years. I buy them from Thailand off that internet auction site a lot cheaper than you can buy them locally. I tend to get 3 to 4 good shaves from a blade.

I initially thought that DE shaving would save me money but found that brushes, stands, soaps etc mean I dont save much. That said, I get a far better shave compared to the multi blades.

I use an Edwin Jagger DE89 - cheap but a great razor.

I can also recommend proraso pre shave cream which has a smell that takes me back to the old barbers shops

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I initially thought that DE shaving would save me money but found that brushes, stands, soaps etc mean I dont save much. That said, I get a far better shave compared to the multi blades.

Yep... it's gonna take quite a while to get my money back.. particularly on the brush! :blink:

Gutted..... Next time please use the septic stick and report back your findings and thoughts on it...... I need a good laugh ! LOL

ATB

Matt

Septic sticks, best thing invented for shaving!

I remember the old man when I was a nipper coming out the bathroom with bits of tissue stuck to his face after a shave....

If you want to save money dont be fooled into buying the expensive shaving cream/balm stuff. I bought the other day brush, shaving cream, balm and aftershave and it came to less than £6. The expensive stuff is nice but completely unnecessary.

If you want to save money dont be fooled into buying the expensive shaving cream/balm stuff. I bought the other day brush, shaving cream, balm and aftershave and it came to less than £6. The expensive stuff is nice but completely unnecessary.

My Blaser R8 was unnecessary and isn't as accurate as the Tikka T3 it replaced but it's a joy to own.... I'm happy with my purchayses... my best badger brush is lurvely! :yes:

I have a DE cheapo razor here from Boots along with there own brand blades... used it a few times but it just left me with lots of tiny cuts / rash on my neck ( the spot I usually cut / get shaving rash ) ... atm I am just holding a wet scorching hot towel to my face / neck and using a 2 bladed gillette disposable and its not having this effect...

Am considering using the DE again though, any tips to avoid what I have experienced

I have a DE cheapo razor here from Boots along with there own brand blades... used it a few times but it just left me with lots of tiny cuts / rash on my neck ( the spot I usually cut / get shaving rash ) ... atm I am just holding a wet scorching hot towel to my face / neck and using a 2 bladed gillette disposable and its not having this effect...

Am considering using the DE again though, any tips to avoid what I have experienced

I did a lot of research before buying... And it was apparent that all razors and blades are not made equal, cheaper ones will not keep the blade at the right angle and under constant even pressure for a start, but the biggest thing is technique... It isn't a case of just go for it like it is with cartridge razors, angle, pressure, wrist flex (or lack of) are all important...

There are loads of really good instructional videos on YouTube.... I learned the basics watching those and whilst I've got loads to learn and practice, my first de shave was awesome!

Yep I think a few of those retro double edge razors are probably made in sheds in the back of beyond along with model trains and flat irons but those nasty cheap triple bladed clip in thingys come out of an fmcg factory and work a treat may just be mass produced and sold under all sorts of labels......

Ahh with you now.... :-)

Why can't I use smileys when posting from my iPad?

My Razor Pit arrived yesterday, the silicon pad has got some real resistance to it so you can see how this would scrape off any muck on the blade!

Time will tell how effective this is. If anyone is interested in one of these, Amazon have a special on them.....

Cos

Well... BLOW ME!

Had to report back....

Postie arrived 30 mins ago with a box from Shaving Shack and one from Amazon.... my Merkur 34c, Feather blades and other goodies... shave brush, shave creme and a few other bits and pieces...

Like a kid at Christmas it was... I don't think I've ever been excited to have a shave... well, I was today!!!

Long weekends growth to tackle, I wouldn't have normally chosen to deal with this without either having a shower first or actually shaving in the shower.... it pulls uncomfortably, even with a brand new Fusion Proglide cartridge so I usually wimp out and reach for the Braun!

Couldn't be ***** having a shower... I wanted to play with my new toys!

Why on earth have us blokes been convinced by the marketing companies that these exthortionately expensive 47 million blade cartridge razors are the way forward ??? I have had them all... the best to date being a mach 3 but now with the Fusion thingy at over 24 quid a pack of cartridges! I thought it gave me a pretty decent shave!

Never have I had such a comfortable shave and I've certainly never had as close a shave as this in all the time I've been shaving.... only one minor nick on my neck that I didn't feel and it had stopped bleeding by the time I'd finished so didn't have to reach for the styptic pencil. I am truly gobsmacked... Thanks guys, it was this and a previous thread re shaving on here that convinced me to give it a go.... Never will I go back to the cartridge things!!!!

(good job I like it.... I've spent a small fortune! Mind you, I can now look forward to paying £10 for 30 blades instead of £30 for 8 cartridges that don't do as good a job!!!)

Thanks again guys :drinks:

295.gif

do you have a link to the said razor please.

just cut my face to peices , tried to be clever and save money , usually buy the fusion but funds would,nt allow it.

so i bought some cheap wilkingson disposibles from pound shop , big mistake :drool:

Well i have to admit i have been moaning for months to the old girl about the price of razor blades, in the end it was cheaper to buy a new one and get the three heads with it every time as buying the blades was costing a fortune. Anyhow i now have a massive collection of stems i have built up and after reading this thread and realising its not just me feeling lighter in the pocket i decided to buy a double sided job myself.

My Edwin Jagger razor arrived yesterday and was quickly assembled and what a joy it was to use, an amazing,quick and close shave was had and considering you only have one blade it cut better than the Mach razor with however many blades they have on them. The only down side i can see in the near future is that whenever they suss onto the fact that everyone is converting they will probably hike the prices sky high on the blades.

Why is it that mens gear is always so dear compared to womens, the price comparison say from a skirts to a pair of strides or shirt to a blouse...its a bloody joke!

I have used a Merkel double edge razor this week with Merkel blades - came as a pack off one of the on-line shaving shops.

The cost of a new Merkel razor (nice bit of kit) and a pack of blades was about the same as a pack of the vibrating Gilette Fusion Nuclear doo-dah cartridges.

The results with the Merkel are excellent - it's a different kind of shave and takes 60 seconds longer than a quick wipe over with a cartridge razor but that's not a problem.

It's funny how old habits die hard - I've used the Merkel razor blade for a week and I am still in "expensive replacement cartirdge mode" - I would stretch out using a Fusion cartridge because they were so expensive to replace. I now just need to get into the habit of changing and binning a razor blade every 5 to 7 days and not stressing it. A bit of mental retraining required.

I am intruiged as to what is considered to be the best razor blade now..... there are so many out there. And who knew any of this until this thread kicked off?

P.S.

I've always used a badger shaving brush and crabtree dished soap and would never change from that and would recommend that set up to anyone. I've had the same badger brush for.... wait for it..... 19 years give or take so the initial cost has long been wiped from my memory.

On the back of this thread when I was looking for a razor blades yesterday I picked up a single blade safety razor from boots for £3. Not a work of art, but it even came with 5 blades, and seemed like a great way of trying it to see if I could make it work. Nervously tried it last night, having heard horror stories about people getting cut, not only a close shave but also much quicker than I thought it would be. I'm going to keep going with this cheap razor from boots, it's not chrome and is light and a bit like holding a biro, but so far so good.

I am intruiged as to what is considered to be the best razor blade now..... there are so many out there. And who knew any of this until this thread kicked off?

Blades are more of a personal choice and what works best for you.

Ive tried a few. Derby were not sharp enough for me and felt like they dragged. Personna were ok and you could get away with poor technique. I always use feather now which are sharp but unforgiving. Theres loads of info on blades and other stuff on www.badgerandblade.com. Its mainly an american site but theres lots of info that is relevant to the UK there.