Razor blades are we being ripped off

fenboy

My other top tip is shave in the shower - stick in a shaving mirror, get a solid block shaving soap (in a bowel) and a decent brush to lather up.

Ewwwwww... doesn't that end up smelling a bit ripe under the snoz... the term 'dirty sanchez' springs to mind!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have just done £40 on shaving related gear, including new safety razor, blades and what not.

That being said, that's the cost of about 4 replacement cartridges for my current Gilette Fazser Maroon 5 shaving system.

Incidentally, the last replacement cartridges I purchased for said shaving system off eBay all turned out to be moody copies that were blunter than the mother-in-law. Lessons learned.

This has inspired me to buy some more bits and bobs today :) the thing with the proper shaving is to find a combination that works for your fizzog, I started out using the fancy expensive stuff but have gradually changed to cheaper shaving cream/balm/aftershave.

For gods sake get a styptic pencil if you are starting out :)

This has inspired me to buy some more bits and bobs today :) the thing with the proper shaving is to find a combination that works for your fizzog, I started out using the fancy expensive stuff but have gradually changed to cheaper shaving cream/balm/aftershave.

For gods sake get a styptic pencil if you are starting out :)

well, you learn something new every day! i had never even heard of a styptic pencil... would it not cause a cut to scar though if it works by making the blood vessels contract around the site of the cut? :hmm:

For less than £10 may well be worth it had mine for 2 years now.

It does not work as effectively as it says, i usually get 1 month per blade, but Tesco home brand blades (the one step up from the red stripe type) are cheap and i spend less than about £6 a year on blades since i bought the razor pit.

Others here have sang their praises too.

Tight Lines

Aled

RazorSharp.

No ones mentioned the pain when using a styptic pencil lol.

It's pretty epic guys, stops the blood but damn near stops your heart also haha!!!

I did here : http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/223088-best-double-edge-razor/What is also hillarious is letting the Mrs dab it on a nick on her leg when shes shaved her legs..........I cried with laughted after she nearly orbited and came back down only to do the river dance ! Its like a quarterising iron but does a dam good job and I wouldnt be without mine ! Man guys lol

Its the same as a lot of things last night they was on about the high cost of pain killers I was told many years ago to ask the chemist they will give you the generic ones much cheaper than the named brands for the same stuff so there you have it if you want the same ones as the stars advertise on TV that is up to you but I would get the supermarket ones for a fraction of the price.

Having said that if we all got the cheep stuff there would be no free TV channels except for the old BBC.

rubbing a styptic pencil on your face in the morning wakes you up better than any cup of coffee :)

No they dont scar id imagine the cut would be too small but im always surprised how well they work no more bits of bog paper, instant blood stopping and a right good sting.

You also have to get right the actual shaving method. Hot water, lather, shave, cold water, balm, after shave, eau de toilet if your a nancy :)

De razors for me as well - better shave, you just have to take a little more time over shaving, it's a totally different technique to the standard razors, if you apply pressure and rush you will carve yourself up! I rarely nick myself now.

Any of you se shavers use feather blades? They are seriously sharp, brilliant blades.

Well... BLOW ME!

Had to report back....

Postie arrived 30 mins ago with a box from Shaving Shack and one from Amazon.... my Merkur 34c, Feather blades and other goodies... shave brush, shave creme and a few other bits and pieces...

Like a kid at Christmas it was... I don't think I've ever been excited to have a shave... well, I was today!!!

Long weekends growth to tackle, I wouldn't have normally chosen to deal with this without either having a shower first or actually shaving in the shower.... it pulls uncomfortably, even with a brand new Fusion Proglide cartridge so I usually wimp out and reach for the Braun!

Couldn't be ***** having a shower... I wanted to play with my new toys!

Why on earth have us blokes been convinced by the marketing companies that these exthortionately expensive 47 million blade cartridge razors are the way forward ??? I have had them all... the best to date being a mach 3 but now with the Fusion thingy at over 24 quid a pack of cartridges! I thought it gave me a pretty decent shave!

Never have I had such a comfortable shave and I've certainly never had as close a shave as this in all the time I've been shaving.... only one minor nick on my neck that I didn't feel and it had stopped bleeding by the time I'd finished so didn't have to reach for the styptic pencil. I am truly gobsmacked... Thanks guys, it was this and a previous thread re shaving on here that convinced me to give it a go.... Never will I go back to the cartridge things!!!!

(good job I like it.... I've spent a small fortune! Mind you, I can now look forward to paying £10 for 30 blades instead of £30 for 8 cartridges that don't do as good a job!!!)

Thanks again guys :drinks:

295.gif

Edited by Vipa

I do not think that there ever can be a perfect solution for everyone as there are so many variable the thickness of the hair how sensitive your skin is some people could shave with a rusty blade and still end up looking good.

Other people use the best sharpest blades and still end up with sore skin the best solution is to try everything and find what suits you best or perhaps I should say what suits you best and in the price range that you can afford this is my thought for what they are worth.