Struggling with those rampant rabbits

Siberian Tiger

I've been shooting for about a year and have always been able to obliterate rabbits - definitely my banker clay! Since using a very lovely Beretta, I've not been abole to hit a single one :no: . I swear the bloody thing could stop dead in front on me and I would still miss! I got my now redundant Yildiz back out, and still no luck :sad1: . I have no idea why I've gone to pieces with bunnies :hmm: , every other target I seem to have improved on :innocent:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been up to Worsley and stood on their practice stand for ages and no idea where I am missing them . . . .

They changed the rabbit stands recently (before this post?). The one on the practice stand was a right to left with sometimes a slow left to right. Now there is a quick left to right with less window to see it and mount I can't hit this from gun down at the moment. Also on the member stands there's a pretty quick left to right as well.

I used to find the old one easy but probably only because I did it so much.

This is quite common when changing guns.

With a change of gun not only can the fit be different but you tend to look at the gun while swinging to double check your lead. This is absolutely taboo. You need to look so hard at the clay that you can see the makers name. Its a fact that the Beretta is generally higher than the Yildiz, so you may be shooting over the top.

One reason many shooters can't get onto a fast rabbit is because they start with the gun not only too close to the trap but also the muzzles are held on the hold point far too high.

Push your hold point out closer to your kill point and then look back to the trap. But the muzzles must be kept just under the line of the clay. That is to say that the clay needs to JUST cross over the rib, that way you will never lose sight of the clay and you can get on it quicker but smoothly using a parallel mount. As you mount, the muzzles must NOT drop but just swing.

Mount into the cheek and not the shoulder first with 60% of your weight on the front foot which should be pointing towards you kill point. :good:

no idea where I am missing them

Perhaps it'd be good idea to get someone to video you shooting (or, at least, "scaring") those wascaly wabbits. Then, you could view the results and do a post mortem.

I, too, seem to have lost the knack with rabbits. I'm considering buying a cheap camcorder to get video of me shooting clays (and PSG) to see where I'm going wrong.

Regards,

Mark.

With a change of gun not only can the fit be different but you tend to look at the gun while swinging to double check your lead. This is absolutely taboo. You need to look so hard at the clay that you can see the makers name. Its a fact that the Beretta is generally higher than the Yildiz, so you may be shooting over the top.

One reason many shooters can't get onto a fast rabbit is because they start with the gun not only too close to the trap but also the muzzles are held on the hold point far too high.

Push your hold point out closer to your kill point and then look back to the trap. But the muzzles must be kept just under the line of the clay. That is to say that the clay needs to JUST cross over the rib, that way you will never lose sight of the clay and you can get on it quicker but smoothly using a parallel mount. As you mount, the muzzles must NOT drop but just swing.

Mount into the cheek and not the shoulder first with 60% of your weight on the front foot which should be pointing towards you kill point. :good:

Very good advice. :good:

Mark (Chaos) pop down to Wylye for a play and I'll have a quick look for ya....no charge. ;)

That's very kind of you, Robert.

If you remember, when Dann and I visited Wylye for the ShootinUK meet, I was shooting that M37 riot gun. well, I now shoot something a lot less suitable for clays - a reproduction Winchester 1887. I may not be able to hit clays wiv it, but it's *enormous* fun when shootin' PSG.

I still think that videoing someone shooting can help a lot. Just after I got my FAC, I was filmed shooting "mano a mano" against a club member. We were shooting two of my M37s. The film showed something glaringly different in the way we were shooting - I was doing what many PSG beginners do and waiting to see if I'd knocked a target over before engaging the next. The more experienced PSGer did *not*; he shot at each target and picked up any that he'd missed at the end.

On film, this difference was *obvious*.

Anyhoo, I've not been clay shooting for a while. I'll suggest to me posse that we take a trip down the A303 before Xmas.

Nice to hear from you, Robert.

Regards,

Mark.

Great advice.