Confirmed WH Smith have believed Animal Aid and implemented ban

oscarsdad

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely it's time for Phase 2 of the operation to commence.

I think we should all go into WH Smith, pack your trolleys full of their tat, ring it all through the self service till leaving your shooting mag until last. When the assistant comes over to verify your age, have a bit of a paddy, tell them you feel offended and then walk out.

This could only go wrong if they remove the under 14 bar and then your stuck with a few hundred quids worth of cack.

If that doesn't work its time for the jiffy bags............purchased elsewhere

Surely it's time for Phase 2 of the operation to commence.

I think we should all go into WH Smith, pack your trolleys full of their tat, ring it all through the self service till leaving your shooting mag until last. When the assistant comes over to verify your age, have a bit of a paddy, tell them you feel offended and then walk out.

This could only go wrong if they remove the under 14 bar and then your stuck with a few hundred quids worth of cack.

If that doesn't work its time for the jiffy bags............purchased elsewhere

Good plan...that may annoy them somewhat.

Also, email the WHSmith chairman Walker Boyd at walker.boyd@whsmith.co.uk

Shooting times, sporting gun, BASC et al have taken up the cause and are publicising the petition. This campaign should be getting more support over the next week when this week's copies of shooting magazines hit the shelves.

Also, almost all comments on the Telegraph website are common sense based, which is good to see.

Done. I've also had multiple cloned replies from Joanne Tyler.

Maybe we should all target another magazine and complain like Animal Aid did.

I reckon we should go for "Closer" - my mrs gets it and it is utter drivel. Target that rubbish.

Wasn't that the one which bought and published the grossly offensive and illegal photos of the Dutchess of Cambridge? How then can WHS consider selling it to anyone?

J.

Maybe we should all target another magazine and complain like Animal Aid did.

I reckon we should go for "Closer" - my mrs gets it and it is utter drivel. Target that rubbish.

Apparently, you can get animal rights magazines. Why not target those?

Can you? In mainstream shops? I didn't realise that, yes thy would be a better target then.

I'm not sure. Never seen one, and I can't find much about them, but apparently you can get them. Could be wrong though. This is according to a Shooting Times article from the 90s which I found in the attic, so it could be well out of date.

EDIT: You can get them, but there aren't many, and it seems very few shops sell them, so forget about them.

Edited by Reece

Dear Customer

Thank you for your email.

WHSmith aims to offer our customers choice, whilst striking the right balance and not acting as a censor. WHSmith seeks to do its best to satisfy all of its customers who often have strongly opposing views. We aim to display all of our magazines in locations where they are accessible to those who want to buy them, but do not offend those who do not. The till prompt system has been in place for many years on a range of different products and this has not previously been an issue for customers.

Should read ex-customer. :P

Someone has set up a facebook page in support of WHSmith's ridiculous decision.

https://www.facebook.com/reece.c.fowler?ref=tn_tnmn#!/events/157048957773494/

We need to set up a facebook page to support our cause, and to encourage a boycott of WHSmith's.

Just put a few comments on the page that were deleted as quickly as I wrote them. Nothing derogatory just informative.

You'll never change the antis but keep posting and educate the "sheep" that just follow because it's cruel to shoot a fluffy fox. :hmm:

Seems that WH Smith might be listening...

Thank you for your further e mail which has been passed to me as Head of

Customer Services for investigation and response.

I apologise if you feel that our initial reply did not sufficiently address all

of your previous concerns.

I would like to assure you that WHSmith respects the views expressed by all

customers. We are therefore now in the process of assimilating all of this

further feedback, to assist us in looking into this issue.

If I can be of any further assistance at any point , please do not hesitate to

contact me.

Juliette Cavilla

Head of Customer Services

This is the reply I received.....................

Dear Customer

WHSmith aims to offer our customers choice, whilst striking the right balance and not acting as a censor. WHSmith seeks to do its best to satisfy all of its customers who often have strongly opposing views. We aim to display all of our magazines in locations where they are accessible to those who want to buy them, but do not offend those who do not. The till prompt system has been in place for many years on a range of different products and this has not previously been an issue for customers.

Denise Hughes

Customer Service Team Manager

Personal thanks to everyone who has placed Links in their signatures on here, as within the forums it helps to publicise the cause, i appreciate everything everyone has done so far, but this is Day 2, and to make an impact we need to make sure this initial sucess continues. Remember the petition does encourage people to not shop at smiths untill the policy is retracted. Please keep checking back to the facebook page, aswell as the petition page for updates!

Maybe BASC could put its new media centre to good use and get on BBC news to publicise it? Or one of the other major news programmes?

Failing that, BASC could send good quality press releases, including the shortened link to the petition, to national newspapers. It seems a lot of non shooters are opposed to this, and even some antis have condemned it as being over the top.

Or, BASC could do both.

If I see any mention in my paper, I will be sure to send a letter and a link to the petition. Could all others do the same?

If anyone wants to send a link to the petition in a letter to a magazine or newspaper, use this shortened link to the petition:

http://chn.ge/Rs0xEn

EDIT:

I have brought this up before, and I am doing so again. There are a lot of shooting authors who write about shooting (obviously), and BASC makes handbooks on subjects such as vermin control. Could shooting authors not withdraw their books from WHSmith's shelves?

Edited by Reece

This is the reply I received.....................

Dear Customer

Denise Hughes

Customer Service Team Manager

I got the same one.......... not going to let them off the hook, keep emailing until they address whatever points / concerns you have

I had that generic email too, and responded directly to it with a politely worded request to listen to my points and not send me a catch-all email. I then got this reply from their head of customer services:

Dear XXXXXX

Thank you for your further e mail which has been passed to me as Head of Customer Services for investigation and response.

I apologise if you feel that our initial reply did not sufficiently address all of your previous concerns.

I would like to assure you that WHSmith respects the views expressed by all customers. We are therefore now in the process of assimilating all of this further feedback, to assist us in looking into this issue.

If I can be of any further assistance at any point , please do not hesitate to contact me.

Juliette Cavilla

Head of Customer Services