What is the best shooting ground you have visited...?

Bigamos

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to put in a good word for my old favourite, Greenfields at Sturry. Dennis Webb makes the point that regularly used grounds tend to be superior.

I think this very much applies to Greenfields which shoots 6 days a week with a 100 bird comp. every Sunday. Mid week is a bit more casual,

with 12+ stands available and often 3 or 4 traps per stand so loads of variety available. They do a discounted re-entry, works out at £36 for 200 birds.

John Bidwells High Lodge at Hinton also very good but a bit more expensive. Southdowns also present some good stands.

I am sure there a many more good grounds out there which hopefully I will have the opportunity of visiting in the future. We have a few 'stinkers'

round here (East Kent) but I will restrict myself to the question set by Bigamos.

• 3 weeks later...

Information for Auntie,

I was bored the other day so I had a census at Hodnet.

Here you go! (just for interesting facts (maybe) ) WMSG set in 60 acres of Birch, Oak trees and rhodidendrum bushes. 80 Sporting stands, DTL & Balltrap layout, Skeet, over 100 automatic claytraps (hardly any can be seen) kids could play spot the claytrap! Pine Lodge (about to be doubled in size) cartridge & clay sales and a very well stocked gunshop. On site gunsmith.

Edited by Salopian

Information for Auntie,

I was bored the other day so I had a census at Hodnet.

Here you go! (just for interesting facts (maybe) ) WMSG set in 60 acres of Birch, Oak trees and rhodidendrum bushes. 80 Sporting stands, DTL & Balltrap layout, Skeet, over 100 automatic claytraps (hardly any can be seen) kids could play spot the claytrap! Pine Lodge (about to be doubled in size) cartridge & clay sales and a very well stocked gunshop. On site gunsmith.

lets hope they run at least one 'major' in 2013 !

I have been down to Barbury this week and the staff were brilliant. They could not do enough for our party of 71 guns.

The targets were set to suit the standard of shooters and we all had a very enjoyable time and I for one would definatly strongly recommend this venue. The whole ground is clean and tidy and the target presentation was excellent.

Only draw back was a lack of proper catering facilities but that said, they laid on bacon sarnies and free brews when we arrived.

If you have not been then get yourself there as you wont be disappointed.

Hodnet is getting mentioned alot and is central ! .....any chance the next PW north vs south can return there again ?

Also am suprised mendip isnt getting a mention !

My personal favorite for shooting is Mickley hall..... just a local shoot but a good mix of targets, great staff its not over subscribed so getting round is easy and enjoyable and theres a new DTL / trap setup being put in ! Catering isnt brillient but I go to shoot not to eat and am really enjoying seeing the place grow stronger all the time.... The cartering and a shop will come one day am sure of it :D

Hodnet is getting mentioned alot and is central ! .....any chance the next PW north vs south can return there again ?

Also am suprised mendip isnt getting a mention !

My personal favorite for shooting is Mickley hall..... just a local shoot but a good mix of targets, great staff its not over subscribed so getting round is easy and enjoyable and theres a new DTL / trap setup being put in ! Catering isnt brillient but I go to shoot not to eat and am really enjoying seeing the place grow stronger all the time.... The cartering and a shop will come one day am sure of it :D

very nice ground but the clubhouse in my humble opinion wasnt big enough to cope ( maybe the weather and everyone was inside)

I like the idea of trying different grounds

next one is darn sarf again....

:shaun:

Worsley's a top shooting ground, as is Park Lodge, near Goole.

Still got to get to Sealand near Chester, as I believe that's a good ground too. Ditto Mickely Hall.

Been to Hodnet (West Midlands Shooting Ground) but not shot there yet - hope to rectify that shortly too.

Edited by Lock Stock & Barrel

I have been down to Barbury this week and the staff were brilliant. They could not do enough for our party of 71 guns.

The targets were set to suit the standard of shooters and we all had a very enjoyable time and I for one would definatly strongly recommend this venue. The whole ground is clean and tidy and the target presentation was excellent.

Only draw back was a lack of proper catering facilities but that said, they laid on bacon sarnies and free brews when we arrived.

If you have not been then get yourself there as you wont be disappointed.

I have not scrutinised every post here but I think that is the first/only mention of Barbury!

It somehow managed to get Shooting Ground of the Year last year, I think that was down to internet promotion, anyway it is a good ground, and has improved greatly over the last couple of years.

I have not been to enough others to suggest it is that good, but it is worth a trip, and the hospitality is good, not cheap, but then again not outrageous either! :good: