Fungi help please

Lord Geordie

I found this - http://morrie2.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/agaricus-arvensis-almond-mushroom/ but I thought the horse mushroom usually smelled of aniseed. Not Yellow Stainer as they smell of Carbollic, especially when being cooked (did that earlier this year).

Definately get to positively identify half a dozen easy to recognise ones like shaggy ink cap,Boletes (ceps, dark cep, oak bolete), cauliflour fungus, saffron milk cap, Deceivers (both Amythist and common), horse mushroom (but only if it ticks all the boxes), giant puff ball, St. Georges Shroom (usually the only white gilled one found in March/April), Chanterelle, blewits (wood & feild). If you haven't already, get a copy of John Wright's mushroom book (River Cottage Handbook No.1). Not too big and very comprehensive and dispells a lot of the old wives tales where funghi are concerned. Put it on your Xmas wish list.

I have a few books on fungi, and i would love to go and pick,eat cook with the numerous types i see around, but i have one major drawback, I am disabled,hugely to the point i could quite possibly make a fatal mistake, i am colour blind !!! And not being able to tell the difference in colour of some of them is very frustrating :sad1:

Bliney dougy, if I'd known that I would have worn more than just an orange hat in Croatia ;)

I have problems seeing orange in a woodland coloured type area, bright green, yellow on the other hand i can see ok, you should be ok though, just lay off the pies for a few weeks though :lol: