jeep grand cherokee

neil w

well done a bit of research today on the net. the normal problems you get with modern diesel engines .egr . swirl pots.. dpf filters and so on . it has well proven mercedes engine and mercedes drive train . the axles do have problems on high mileage jeeps . the specification on these vehicle is outstanding . i think iam trying to sell this jeep to my self !!!

Hi

I have had 3 Jeeps, the first being the standard Cherokee 4ltr petrol. Pretty good but thirsty. I have had 2 grand cherokee overlands, the first of which I foolishly sold. So now I have got another grand cherokee 3 litre diesel (overland).

IMHO they are pretty awesome. I will probably always have a grand cherokee...

No probs with any of them. Just had mine fitted with 18 inch general grabber AT and the same week had the ECU remapped. Its now 260 BHP / 390 ft pound torque and the economy is fantastic. See jeep-club forum for more details.

Highly recommended by 3x jeep owner..................

Get one, you will love it...

Rav

sorry for confusion , it was for the above thread of forum member FOUR WHEEL DRIVE

I have a X reg Cherokee 4ltr auto I keep it in full time four wheel drive and to be honest I love it but and it is a big but it kills batteries I have yet to get more than 18 months out of one.

I will not go in to it as It has been done to death on other forums the problem with Jeeps is the electrics are a nightmare should it go wrong I have known people scrap good Jeeps because they cannot sort out electrical problems on them.

I have a grand Cherokee on a 2002 with the strate 5 merc lump. It drives like a car not like a 4x4. It is ok off road but not the best. I have had problem with it but it was at the right price. I had looked at TD5 of the the same year and they were 3 time the price and look at the greaf they give. The biggest problem i have had with it was keeping the wife out of it. It was never there when i want it. I got it to shoot and take the dogs out but they are far to nice inside for that. When i think about it OK at the start i was pulling my hair out, but who is selling a good secondhand motor now we all run them till they stop. You dont change a motor becouse we get board of it anymore. When i think about it mine looked good and sounded good for ten days but it was a pup. I put some monie in to it and it runs sweat now giving anywere for 35mpg on a run to 28 round town that cant be all that bad for the size of it. Now would i buy one again YES now i know what to look for

Buy the way i ended up with an very old disco in the end for shooting and off roading(and the wife hate it with a passion)the jeep on the other hand drives 100x better on the road

whats quite interesting is how these engines are the main selling point for the car, do some research on them as certainly in the vans they are fitted to they have a few fairly expensive issues. Have a look at injectors and glow plugs being impossible to remove from heads might put you off them a little. We had it on a fair few vans and fortunately they were leased ones

thanks for the advise gents taken all of it on board , every vehicle out there maybe problematic at some stage some worse than others . was thinking on buying a new shape discovery but was advised to stay clear of them from a friend who works at a dealership service department ..

well got it today !!! jeep cherokee overland crd . well impressed with it drives superb, a lot of motor for the money and for a big lump it can certainly move quickly when you need it too. time will tell if its going to be a cash cow !!!

I hope it works out well for you with anything we buy in the end it comes down to luck if you are lucky you will have no problems if not it can be a money pit when they are going well Jeeps are fantastic things and as you say you do get a lot for your money and another point my XJ is a 2001 and it has no rust in it at all I bet you will not find many rovers that you can say that about.

I hope it works out well for you with anything we buy in the end it comes down to luck if you are lucky you will have no problems if not it can be a money pit when they are going well Jeeps are fantastic things and as you say you do get a lot for your money and another point my XJ is a 2001 and it has no rust in it at all I bet you will not find many rovers that you can say that about.

THANKS.... off road today at a shoot .one of the lads is a older gent ,he gets a bit breathless at times !! so gave him a lift to meet the other . so that was my good deed of the day a guy commented that he had one , well still has ,the wife has commandeered it , and has not had any major problems with it .

• 2 weeks later...

4 days ago replaced a starter motor , not a easy job !! you have to remove a engine mount , and then the speed controller in the auto box ??? done the starter motor myself . know someone in the trade for automatic boxes . he replaced the speed controller, the filters, and a switch on the casing of the box that links to the ecu and of course new oil in the box cost me £170 for starter motor and £160 for the box maintenance . the joys of motoring :angry: