diesal leak

darren m

how flammable is diesal

i,ve got a leak dripping from somewhere and its landing on the down pipe of the exhaust on my 4x4.

can not see where its coming from , i know it needs sorting , but i need the truck on the road this weekend.

i,m guessing its not as dangerous as petrol , but just how flammable is it.

thanks

:angry: i,m guessing its not as dangerous as petrol :hmm:not as flammable but dripping on the road it most certainly is dangerous to other road users most definately bikers get it sorted :good:

x2 there was a diesel leak near to me and several cars were written off due to it driving over diesel on a road is like driving on black ice only there is no warning of it.

I've never managed to fire diesel off an exhaust. It'll smoke and stink, but getting it to fire from an exhaust is almost impossible.

However, if there is any danger of it dripping onto the road, don't use the vehicle for the reasons mentioned above, it's potentially lethal to other road users.

I know fuel on Tarmac is not a good thing but do you really think a little drip is going to cause the death and destruction you all seem to fear?

No, but after your initial question I guess folks bought into question your mental competency. With all due respect you car is not fit to be on the road little drip or not.

What is an acceptable leak?

Karpman

I know fuel on Tarmac is not a good thing but do you really think a little drip is going to cause the death and destruction you all seem to fear?

Probably not.

But, a little diesel can spread a lot when on a wet road, and a motorbike going at a sensible speed (never mind someone going a bit fast) could very easily have an accident when they hit a patch of invisible diesel that makes the road surface similar to that of black ice.

And don't forget, it's unknown what is causing the leak. A small drip which may not be enough to cause risk might end up as a major leak by the time it's mended.

you dont ride a bike then

Probably not.

But, a little diesel can spread a lot when on a wet road, and a motorbike going at a sensible speed (never mind someone going a bit fast) could very easily have an accident when they hit a patch of invisible diesel that makes the road surface similar to that of black ice.

And don't forget, it's unknown what is causing the leak. A small drip which may not be enough to cause risk might end up as a major leak by the time it's mended.

These 2 have sumed up the real dangers of diesel leaks, if a bike is riding on a streight road, they may stand a chance of staying on the bike as long as the diesel is clear of the tyre before they get to a bend.

A bike will also tend to use more of the road than a car as they take position to go around bends, if the biker is cranked over going around a bend, they will have no chance of staying on the bike. If they are lucky they will miss the kerb with their head and hopefully there won't be a car right behind them. The results of a biker having their head run over are not nice, having seen the results of this happen and how it change a persons life was devistating.

Its not worth the risk of driving a vehicle with diesel leaking, especially if its dripping on to the road.

No, but after your initial question I guess folks bought into question your mental competency. With all due respect you car is not fit to be on the road little drip or not.

Karpman

Wasn't my question and as far as I know my car doesn't drip.

No I don't ride a bike and if I am wrong I apologise but I am still not convinced a drip is going to hurt a biker. I agree it could soon get worse which would be a problem for all.

Wasn't my question and as far as I know my car doesn't drip.

No I don't ride a bike and if I am wrong I apologise but I am still not convinced a drip is going to hurt a biker. I agree it could soon get worse which would be a problem for all.

Sorry mate got ya mixed up with op. Will wind me neck back in lol.

A drip is a leak, and could it cause the destruction people fear. Well yes in theory. Stranger things have happened, if in doubt probably best not to risk it.

Karpman

how flammable is diesal

i,ve got a leak dripping from somewhere and its landing on the down pipe of the exhaust on my 4x4.

can not see where its coming from , i know it needs sorting , but i need the truck on the road this weekend.

i,m guessing its not as dangerous as petrol , but just how flammable is it.

thanks

Edited so it makes sense! .... Check Wikipedia: The flash point of diesel is > 62 degC. Auto ignition point is 210 degC. So, if diesel is dripping onto an exhaust which will be at much higher than 300 degC, and there is enough air for it to burn, you have a fire - how big a fire depends on how big the diesel leak is. If the vapour and air mixture is above 62 degC and you get a spark, you also have a fire - but you don't normally get sparks under cars and if you are moving there will probably be enough air to dilute the vapour outside of its flammable limits (either way, I think the vapour normally cools sufficiently before enough air mixes with it, as it always takes me a blow torch to light a bonfire using diesel!)

Re. diesel on the road - diesel spreads on water, so on a rainy day, it is lethal....I know, I nearly spun my car in the rain, due to a diesel leak from a lorry (spilling out of filler cap on corners). I also ride motorbikes.....if riding my bike in the wet and I see rainbow colours on the road surface, I get very, very nervous - horrible stuff for bikers that weasel!!

Edited by Yarmite

I know someone who had a nasty motorbike accident up here in North Wales a couple of months ago.

He's sensible, been riding for years, and in his early 60s. The bike is a classic Triumph of some sort (don't ask me, not my sort of thing)

Going along at about 45, drizzly day, pulls out to overtake on a clear stretch of road. Wakes up 3 days later in hospital.

A off-duty policeman in a car further back saw that, when he moved across the divider, the bike just seemed to 'rip' out of his hands.

Turned out that 20 miles of the A5 was filmed in diesel. A traffic officer reckoned the whole lot could have been done with a pint, such a small leak as to be hardly noticeable.

Fortunately, the rider is recovering nicely. And, as he says, he's got a project for the rest of the winter : rebuilding his bike

leaking diesel will ignite on a hot exhaust,it happened on the combine on the farm the pipe split and sprayed diesel onto the hot exhaust and up it went total mess and luckey the field of wheat was not lost,the fire crew did a good job to stop it spresding.

Karpman

so if the chap at the garage who does the mot puts it over the pit and looks at it and says leave it , its not worth bothering with , nothing to worry about there , its dripping on the exaust a little when parked but was ok on the rolling road.

do you think i,m gonna loose any sleep .

i asked if the stuff might ignite , not to be shot down in flames , you cheeky ****

If it's leaking diesel it has the potential to ignite. It may be small now, but you have no way of knowing when it worsens, and it's rare that leaks get better rather than worse.

In my opinion it's an accident waiting to happen, either to you or some other unfortunate, and you'd be irresponsible to drive it knowing it's leaking. If you do chose to do so then hopefully you'll be the only one affected.

so if the chap at the garage who does the mot puts it over the pit and looks at it and says leave it , its not worth bothering with , nothing to worry about there , its dripping on the exaust a little when parked but was ok on the rolling road.

i asked if the stuff might ignite , not to be shot down in flames , you cheeky ****

Sorry might of been a bit strong with you, just being a biker any chance of getting diesel on the road is a nightmare for bikers.

o dear just think about it its not about being a cheeky tw++ at all it is about doing the right thing get it sorted. if your 4x4 never went on the road that fine but you are putting others at risk by driving on the road. how can you honestly say you would not loose any sleep :hmm: .so if your leaky 4x4 caused an AVOIDABLE accident will you still sleep well :hmm: maybe not as well as the poor sod that has to sleep for ever because they have slipped on an AVOIDABLE diesel spillage :angry: Edited by linny

• 2 weeks later...