SSSI Land

.philmypower.

i may be wrong but i believe each site has its own restrictions, i know my village is sourounded by many patches of sssi for a rare butterfly that lives and breeds in the marsh grass and through my work on the council i know that we are permitted to let animals graze on council owned sssi land which obviously effects the butterflys so it is confusing. if your in north wales maybe try the ccw as they will oversee a lot of sssi issues

First you need to find out what it was designated for, you can get these details from the Natural England website.

If it is for important vegetation assemblages then it may restrict where you can and can't walk.

If it is for waterfowl, then you may be able to shoot there but could be opening yourself up for a world of hassle from people reporting you as there will be twitchers everywhere!!

I presume it's for waterfowl as there is a few large ponds covered in duck. There is also a few hides which are used by twitchers. The farmer I know rents the land for grazing and has for 15 years but this year for some reason the geese numbers are several thousand and by the time they have spent a day on a field all that's left is goose poo and mud, he's not happy.

Ill speak to BASC but don't think I'll be able to shoot it. Even with permission and within the law ill have complaint 1 after another.

Gutted would be some good shooting to be had.

A tenant farmer has the right by law to control vermin on his farm and does not need permission from the landowner.

Canadas are on the general licence and as such can be shot as pests and because they an invasive species non lethal methods of control do not need to be tried before shooting.

As a pest they can be shot with section 1 shotguns and rifles as well as normal shotguns, there are also no restrictions on the type of ammunition used when dealing with pests, however on a SSSI you might want to use non lead shot.

Ian.

Edited by Vermincinerator

I manage deer for Natural England on one of their reserves which is SSSI, they dictate what species of deer and what age class and sex that need to be culled under the conditions of my license. This is because they own the land I shoot on, I'm pretty sure that the tenant of the land will be allowed to give you permission to control Canadas especially as they are on the the pest list. As for the general public, well your on your own their, twitchers will be out early and will think that their interpretation of the law is the correct one. It is always a good idea to investigate as best you can as regard to the nature of the sssi sight and who controls it, sometimes its just best to walk away from a problem area.

Ps even under the general license they are geese and you are shooting over an wetland environment so no lead, unless of course you can use a hmr for the job, works a treat on Canada's.

Edited by Redgum

As a pest they can be shot with section 1 shotguns and rifles as well as normal shotguns, there are also no restrictions on the type of ammunition used when dealing with pests, however on a SSSI you might want to use non lead shot.

Ian.

They're classed as wildfowl and non toxic shot MUST be used. Single lead projectiles are fine though ie. bullets.

some salient points....

• Notification as a SSSI confers no public right of entry to any land without the permission of the landowner.
  • It is an offence under Section 28 P(6) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as incorporated by the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000), without reasonable excuse, intentionally or recklessly to destroy or damage any of the flora, fauna, or geological or physiographical features by reason of which land is of special interest, or intentionally or recklessly to disturb any of those fauna. A person found guilty of any such offence may be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £20,000 or on conviction on indictment to a fine.
  • Some species of plants and animals listed on the citation may be also subject to special protection under Part I of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, or under the Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2010.

To clear one thing up , it dosent matter what the landowner wants if the ground is a SSSI you cant undertake a " damaging opperation " such as shooting without a notice of consent from Natural England or Countryside Council for Wales

In the case of canada geese I am pretty sure they will issue a notice of consent for you to shoot them , but they may impose various restrictions ( depending on the reason for the SSSI ) , such as the time of year you can shoot or the number of shoots.

Before applying for a notice of consent , I would take a couple of photos of the geese to show the numbers using the site , and a couple of photos to show the dammage they are doing. This will strengthen your case.

Edited by anser2

We had to get consent for our part of the shoot which is SSSI, there is restrictions as to when we can shoot, no realeaseing/feed etc yet no ban on lead (even tho we have a voluntary one) but consent is neede to shoot on a SSSI.

If the Authority involved think that they are a problem then they will allow you or seek someone to manage them.