cheek of some people

dazsl

had a walk round my permission and found 2 blokes setting up so had a walk down to have word one was ok said sorry and if they stepping on my toes they would clear off he explained that farmer next door had asked if they could shoot field because the pigeons were coming there on to his field then the other came over spouting off he got permission off the land owner and he had never eared me shooting and he had sent the land owner a letter i don't mind any body shooting the same land but but the attitude of the **** with the mouth felt like punching him the chops its hard enough to get shooting theres no need for abuse when you ask if they've got permission hats off to the first chap

I've had this before, I got some pigeon shooting from the farmer next to my permission, watched the land all week just set up, then an old boy turned up and started to gave ago cause he's got permission, he was going mental at me I asked him to stay and shoot with me he told me to **** off, then went to see the farmer, didn't hear of the farmer that day, but every time I try snd get on there this old bloke gas already phoned the farmer to say he's shooting, yet he never shows up!

The amount of times iv asked farmers for permission, only to be told that somebody else shoots it but only comes once a year boils my ****! Im not into stepping on anybodies toes but it hacks me off. I shoot on a farm that i share with another bloke, we work together to keep the birds moving and it works well. I guess some people just get abit greedy?

In my experience, its rarely worth the bother of arguing with people, one of the reasons I hardly ever shoot weekends.

If you are there first, thats tough luck on them.

If they are there first its tough luck on you.

If they don't have permission to be there (or you are not sure they do), notify the farmer immediately.

There seem to be quite a few farms that have a "ghost" shoot their land.

I often wonder if they realise that the "ghost" never turns up.

I don't let this situation bother me, its the farmer thats losing out.

I totally agree with Cranfield. In the past I have got myself pretty wound up by this kind of moron but as you get older you realise that it just isn't worth getting involved in a confrontation. As long as you do things the right way, you hope that you will get your just reward.(karma?)

True, sometimes you need to stand your ground if someone is taking a liberty, but it's not worth chancing your licence by clipping someone.

Notify your farmer of what happened and if he's a decent bloke, he will kick the numpties off.

like i said hats off to the reasonable bloke and i don't mind sharing the shooting it was just the attitude of the other one it was if i was in the wrong. been on to the farmer today and he said that he had not given permission for them to shoot without asking me first and he had given them my number to organize between our selves theres too much land for me on my own so i would be happy for other shooters to be there to keep the birds flying other wise one shot and they are off to the other side of the farm .

Edited by dazsl

I have likewise problem in North Leicestershire ,Farmers always seem to have someone doing the control but never see them about. Have joined the NPPC. to get some shooting but have to travel to Northamptonshire.

and one or two shots and the birds are off to another field.Would be more than happy to oblige any one wishing to have another gun in the area and at short notice as now retired.also have trained gun dog.

Ray,

yep i have had same problem although it was not my permission, the chap i was with had the permission and we had checked with game keeper, farmer and all was well.

half and hour later i saw two people walking across next field towards me, when i lost sight of them i stopped shooting as i could not verify their location, contacted mate via radio to warn him off people somewhere in our field or on the boarders of.

so i decided to step into field to tidy up decoy pattern due to downed crow, returned to hide, went to pick up gun and turned round to be confronted by one small gobby female and one foul mouthed pensioner who told me i had not shooting permission etc etc.

i said we had, and told him who we had seen and asked, still not happy he became more abusive and said i always shoot this field and have done for 30 years.

so i could not help myself but replied well today your not and to be honest looking at the amount of crow i have shot in 30 mins you are not doing a good job of crop protection.

that really p.....d him off.. i then suggested he goes to see my mate at top of field as he has all the relevant names etc of people we had permission off this morning.

so of he went up the field with Mrs in tow, waving his arms about shouting abuse, then gave my mate some stick.

but what followed was that my mate decided to jack in rather than cause any bother, which really p.....d me off because i felt that you are displaying to this foul mouthed pensioner that we did not have permission. i would have stood my ground!

but because i was really a driver for my mate and got a bit of shooting in for my services i had to go with the flow, but i suggested to mate to see game keeper and farmer before we go home to make them aware of what had happened because you don't know what the t....r may have said about us.

but who should we meet on way down lane but the t....er coming back who never moved over to let two cars pass hence i had to stop and as he passed my window he blurted i told you f...... i would get you moved .. well that was it... red rag to bull slammed car into reverse got level with him and gave him a bit of verbal back... well a lot, it could not have come to blows because cars were door to door which was lucky for him really.

farmer did ring us later in week to say he was out of order and that's ol name he can be a bit funny...... um

if it was my permission i would go there every opportunity i could just to pee him off and do the job of crop protection properly

When I was in my teens me and my dad had permission over a farm behind the school I went to, when I was old enough I started going on my own, one evening I was doing a bit of roost shooting when a car stopped on the lane next to the field infront of the woods I was in, 2 chaps got out started walking across the field so I emptied the gun and put it in the slip, when one of them got to me he started going mad, giving it the whole I have sole rights over this land blah blah blah I do the pigeon shooting in exchange for permission to take pheasants, after about 20 minutes I just said ok if that's what u want chief ill pack up n be on my way and drop in and see the farmer on my way he started going again so I packed up, and he set up so I watched him for a while and he was shooting pheasants as they were heading for the wood for the night, so I went and spoke with the farmer who apologised to me for this muppet and kicked him off the land I had shot the land with my dad for about 10years when this happened and we rarely saw the farmer but always left the Xmas scotch for him, it's funny how the little bottle of scotch and manners can keep a farmer on your side when something like this happens, I had only ever met him 5 or 6 times before that evening

I am always amazed that some pigeon shooters do not look after their farmers enough. Whilst pigeon and crow shooting is crop protection it is never the less a privilege to be allowed onto a farmers land and a token of appreciation should be offered. Once this has been done, and regular contact with the farmer is made, other shooters who turn up irregularly will be turned away.

I am always amazed that some pigeon shooters do not look after their farmers enough. Whilst pigeon and crow shooting is crop protection it is never the less a privilege to be allowed onto a farmers land and a token of appreciation should be offered. Once this has been done, and regular contact with the farmer is made, other shooters who turn up irregularly will be turned away.

This is very true.

I buy one of those baskets from Asda with wine, cheese and pickle in, they only cost £10.00 each. I have 14 farmers to buy for so thats £140,00 but just taking it round with a card saying thank you a cpl of weeks before Christmas pays off. I have not lost any shooting rights in a long time and I know lads have asked to shoot and have been turned away.

why is it that most only drop a little something off at xmas ....i do it couple of times a year to one and help the other out as and when , pellets for the kids air gun day, targets, rabbits prepped for cooking, .... i just see it as cheap shooting to keep them happy to see me..... i would gladly drop a bottle every time i shoot because thats what i think it is worth to me and i've shot one for 25+ years now

Whenever I encounter abuse in the field I will stop shooting and go and see the farmer. Nine times out of ten I will get the backing of the farmer based on results. The only exceptions being relatives or inlaws. I always work on first come first to shoot and will respect other shooters there before us unless requested to share the shooting by the farmer.