Dispatching Rabbits & Crow

Oly

Going off subject a bit, sorry. Young shot, what do you think of your silver pigeon? Had any problems with it? I'm looking at maybe getting one, a 12g with multichokes and 3" chambers. It's either that or a lanber. Would you recommend the beretta in your experience?

Going off subject a bit, sorry. Young shot, what do you think of your silver pigeon? Had any problems with it? I'm looking at maybe getting one, a 12g with multichokes and 3" chambers. It's either that or a lanber. Would you recommend the beretta in your experience?

Its a brilliantly balanced gun, i would highly recomend it! PM Me if you would like any information! i have had no problem with it and ive had it for 10 months in all weathers!

Nice gun .... please tell me you havent been beating crows with that !

:lol::good::lol:

Young Shot

Sorry bossman, just a quick question I wanted to put in. I've always been unsure of these methods, as I've never been shown them by an experienced hand. I always give them a second shot because I don't like to take the chance of making things worse for them. Maybe I should try to find a local ferreter to go and watch sometime. It's something I'll have to learn if I get my cert, it seems that you get more winged birds with shotguns than I have with my air rifle. If I go below 95% kill rate, I go back to my steel bunny until I'm back on form :good:

I'm trying to find the best/fastest/most effective (even humane if you will!) way of dispatching rabbits & crows (or any bird for that matter!).

Obviously the most effective way is to kill them stone dead in the first place, but hey we can't all be perfect all the time!

Techniques that keep the meat of the animal in good condition are preferred (i.e. not just shooting the thing at point blank range!) - knife or hand techniques welcome.

Cheers,

Oly

Hey all sorry to be repling so late, i found with the rabbits that if you hold them by the back legs giving them a quick chop :lol::lol: to the back of the kneck puts them straigth out!! can be pretty rough to do most rabbits i shoot always manage to have there back legs broken :lol:

Jim :good:

"There is more than one way of skinning a cat" The old saying goes. Well that applied to killing Rabbits is also true. There are three basic methods to choose from.

1. Chinning the most effective and quickest means. Also means you can despatch the rabbit in a purse net when ferreting or even a long net.

Drawbacks. You might get your hands scratched by the Rabbits legs if you are slow doing it.

2. The stretch Once Mastered can be as effective as chinning.

Drawbacks You have to take the Rabbit out of the net if ferreting or long netting and anyone who has tried this will know its not easy to do.

3. The chop The least effective and frankly anyone who does it, must suffer from a James Bond syndrome.

Drawbacks See drawbacks @2. Also not only are you usually trying to hit a moving target with the side of your hand (Rabbits do wriggle you know) but you are trying to hit a spot less than 1cm wide to get a clean kill.

Tiercel.

Yes i use the karate chop to the rear of the head i was'nt sure how hard to hit & cause more pain at first but practiced on a few kills & you can tell when the neck goes would like to see other methods but this is the easiest in my opinion

You have not tried other methods, but in your opinion "Karate chop" is the easiest. :good:?:good:

Yes i use the karate chop to the rear of the head i was'nt sure how hard to hit & cause more pain at first but practiced on a few kills & you can tell when the neck goes would like to see other methods but this is the easiest in my opinion

You have not tried other methods, but in your opinion "Karate chop" is the easiest. :good:?:good:

When i used to hunt, the "Karate" chop was the only way I knew how to dispatch them, I'de never heard of any other method,

Wow! Thanks for all the interest so far...by the sounds of it a lot of shooters out there are still learning on this one (even if some are going a little off the topic :good: )!

In my estimation I think one question has still yet to be answered...if holding down a winged rabbit/bird and using a priest where is the best place to hit them - back of the head, on the neck, on the back etc??

I'm also slightly surprised to not hear of any knife techniques too - I have heard of people bleeding animals to death - like many animals are killed in other countries for Hallal meat - which is supposed to be very calming to the animals (so long as a sharp blade is used!) as they simply drift off.

The other technique which I have heard is the good old air pistol to the head job...just to make sure, keeps the meat good and cheaper than another cartridge!

IMO - The idea is to kill the animal/bird as quickly as possible so a second shot should be used if necessary,no matter what the cost of a cartridge or retrieved by a dog and despatched by one of the above methods except the "halal" one as any bleeding should be done post mortem.

As regards where to hit an animal with a priest,I go for where the head and neck meet as this will kill it cleanly by both breaking the neck at the "atlas-axis" vertebrae and breaking the skull.

You can debate this subject forever and even invent your own ways of dispatching wounded rabbits and pigeons, but in my opinion this is the definitive post on the subject and anyone following the instructions in it, won't go far wrong.

I am with LB on this one. To chin Rabbits hold in your right hand with you index finger and thumb between the top vertebrae of the neck and the skull. Then just push up with the heel of your left hand under the chin of the Rabbit. Death is instantaneous. IMHO the quickest and most humane way of dispatching Rabbits.

For pigeon and pheasants etc; just hold them between the thumb and index finger of your R/Hand L /hand and start a circular motion with the birds body, after three revolutions just stop your hand inertia will take over and the birds neck will break, and you will not pull the head off.

For crow’s they are even simpler just give them the other barrel. As you are not going to eat them anyhow.

Tiercel

Wow! Thanks for all the interest so far...by the sounds of it a lot of shooters out there are still learning on this one (even if some are going a little off the topic :good: )!

I'm also slightly surprised to not hear of any knife techniques too - I have heard of people bleeding animals to death - like many animals are killed in other countries for Hallal meat - which is supposed to be very calming to the animals (so long as a sharp blade is used!) as they simply drift off.

Oly, all the beef, pork and lamb that you buy in the supermarket has come from animals that have bled to death. The bolt gun merely stuns the animal so it feels no pain and actual death occurs from loss of blood when the throat is cut or 'stuck'

Halal meat comes from an animal that has has its throat cut while it is still fully concious and aware and has not been stunned. I could be wrong but I believe that death can take upto 45 seconds or longer.

FOOD for thought !

Leeboy

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I like to keep a HW45 Air pistol with flat headed pellets handy. If you need to dispatch anything, then put your foot on it and shoot point blank to the head. Very quick, very clean and no mess. Alternatively, just break their necks but I find this can be awkward depending on who you are with.

-Andrew

Personally I like to keep a HW45 Air pistol with flat headed pellets handy. If you need to dispatch anything, then put your foot on it and shoot point blank to the head.

Or if it struggles you could,physically and figuratively speaking,shoot your self in the foot !!!!

LOL :lol: I guess so, But thats why I do it Point blank....then U wont ;), and anyway Im usually wearing Steel Toecap Army boots when out shooting, I doubt 5/6ftlbs Would penetrate through it lol. But a funny thought :good:

-Andrew

Personally I like to keep a HW45 Air pistol with flat headed pellets handy. If you need to dispatch anything, then put your foot on it and shoot point blank to the head.

Or if it struggles you could,physically and figuratively speaking,shoot your self in the foot !!!!

LOL :lol: I guess so, But thats why I do it Point blank....then U wont ;), and anyway Im usually wearing Steel Toecap Army boots when out shooting, I doubt 5/6ftlbs Would penetrate through it lol. But a funny thought :good:

-Andrew

carrying a pistol may not be the best idea, If you were to have a visit from the police while out shooting they would probably frown on the pistol as regards it looking like a banned firearm.

Far easier is a short priest if you don't want to break the necks

• 2 weeks later...

How about the good old mk1 boot and just step on their heads - yes i used to do it that way as a kid on the farm, very effective! now iether use another pellet or as has been said stretch em. When were beating we always give pheasants a good whack with a cosh or beating stick just below/skull/neck works every time!

• 2 weeks later...

I DONT WANT TO BE THE ONLY ONE TO SAY THIS AS I KNOW EVERYONE HAS TO START SOMEWERE BUT MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE GOING OUT WITH SOMEONE A BIT MORE EXPERIENCED IF YOUR WOUNDING NOT KILLING FREQUENTLY YOU SHOULD LOWER YOUR RANGES .

IL PROBABLY **** SOME OF YOU OF HERE BUT I DONT AGREE WITH SOME OF THE WAYS DESCRIBED TO DESPATCH ESPECIALLY COLLAPSING THERE LUNGS AS THAT DOES NOT CAUSE INSTANT DEATH

RINGING THERE NECKS OR CHINNING FOR RABBITS OR A PRIEST BEHIND THE BACK OF THE HEAD IS THE ONLY WAY I SEE FIT

CHEERS GUYS

Edited by henry d