ASPIRIN

unapalomablanca

I have been reading about its possible benefits in PREVENTING future illnesses and am considering a low daily dose off my own initiative.

I know loads of people take it for EXISTING conditions but i wonder if anyone out there is using it in the way i am considering?

I am not being rude but i would just want to hear about peoples views on its use for future prevention not how they are currently using it for heart issues etc etc. Regards. una.

Ask your GP as has been said. Various doses over a period but the dose is not the issue, everyone is different and will react different. the point is it does have side affects so its best to speak to your GP. If there is one advice I will give and that is do not take any medicine unless really necessary. Side affect can out way the benefits.

Most people not all who have had a heart attack or stroke are prescribed a dose of 75mg aspirin a day.It is to help stop the blood clotting and hopefully prevent it happening again.

I know a chap who takes half a 75mg tablet a day off his own back.

I was prescribed asprin because the hospital thought I had two TIA's. Mini strokes. Did me more harm than good and after all that it was migraine without the head ache. Just visual effects, loss of sight etc.

Aspirin is a dirt cheap wonder drug which saves 30% of lives for heart attack patients and will be given immediately . As stated above it is its' anti platelet effect , these are particles in the blood that clump together to form a clot , which closes down a blood vessel . My job has changed vastly because of anti platelet drugs , plus others that guidelines stipulate you have to be on if you have certain cardiac problems . You are unlikely to have problems by self medicating with a small dose of Aspirin ( 75mg daily ) but I would only do it if directed by a GP or Cardiologist ( or at very least a good read of the info sheet in the packet ).

GP first as said above.

Every drug has a side effect. Just because it's listed doesn't mean loads of folks get the problem but once recorded it has to be listed. Frankly, if a drug doesn't have a side effect it probably doesn't work.

The main causes of gastric bleeding from aspirin came from high doses of solid tablets which sit on the stomach wall as they try to dissolve. Low dose (75mg) aspirin should be taken in a soluble form.

Couple of other bits - aspirin would get a licence if it was discovered today - it would just need all of the normal safety data that goes behind any new drug. What people mean is that it wouldn't go directly to general sale in the pharmacy straight away as we buy it today.

As for the statistics you see in the press, they aren't all they seem. As Vole said it is given for heart attack patients and has been shown to have great success but that's in high dose IV. But for the "everyone should take aspirin everyday" red-top reports it is far from clear. Let's say the incidence in the normal population is 4 heart attacks per thousand. They report that taking aspirin reduces your risk of a heart attack by 50% - fantastic, I'll have some of that. But in reality that means it's now down to 2 in 1000. That's really important for the lucky two but your risk has gone from 0.004 to 0.002. So back to your GP - if you are in a high risk group then it's worth a punt. In a low risk group, you pays your money and you takes your choice - you'll probably get run over by a bus anyway!

The good thing about aspirin is that it's been around in similar form since the roman times, so we have lots of data about it. We are only just beginning to discover just how good it is and all the other positive effects it can have.

Last note - DON'T give aspirin to young children and certainly not under 12.

Edited by WVAM

I have taken Asprin daily for over 10 years following my first MI and like you I researched it's use.

As one of my daughters is Type 1 diabetic I questioned my GP for his advice as to whether she would benefit from self medicating a low dose. His advice was NO and that the only time one should consider doing so was if one was in a high risk group and only then under advice from one's GP.

As previous posters have commented, speak to your own GP first. He/She will be the one who knows you medically and can offer proper opinion as to how taking aspirin will benefit you or not. As you can see from previous posts opinions differ even within medical circles. However i know of several GP's/Doctors who regularly take aspirin themselves as preventative/precautionary measure

Edited by yates

interesting , i take a 300mil tab per day , why ? dont know really , just in case i suppose .

think i will cut down to 75mg after reading this .

there was talk of it cutting down the chances of cancer or at least bowel cancer , anyone elaborate on that

Yeh thats what has made me think about it to be honest.

It's part of the problem with journalistic medicine. Have a look at the Telegraph link below to see how confusing things are but they start with the headline that says, "

Aspirin can reduce the risk of developing liver cancer or dying from chronic liver disease by around 50 per cent even if only taken monthly, a study has suggested.Fanbloodytastic - I'll have a bucket load please.Then read the rest. Of 300,00 people 250 developed liver cancer and 428 died of chronic liver failure. Assuming none of those overlap thats a 0.002 chance of being in that combined group. Reduce that by 50% and its 0.001. Now down at the bottom of the article is says, "The researchers acknowledged that the most serious side effect of aspirin is stomach bleeding and people with liver problems are especially vulnerable to bleeds. It is not known how many people in the study died from bleeds". So did aspirin up the chances of popping their clogs?

http://www.telegraph...tudy-finds.html

It's safe to say aspirin will not stop you getting cancer and will not stop you dying of a heart attack. The real problem is that if you take it, you'll never ever know if it actually gave you any protection. If you get run over by a bus you won't be on the heart attack statistics! If you do get cancer then you could be in the 50% it didn't work for, or you could have got it 10 years later then you would have or, you would never have got it anyway. Or, you got run over by a bus and never made the cancer statistics :lookaround: Have a chat with the GP. If you are in a higher risk group it is certainly worth a punt. If bowel cancer is the family concern then schedule an MOT - no harm in checking and best caught early.

And while we are in that neck of the woods chaps, if you are 50 or more go and get the finger up the bottom check - it's worth it :innocent:

Edited by WVAM

He must have an astonishingly long tongue. Bet the ladies love him.

I really did like this :good:

The doctor told me to take 3 x 300 mg dispersible asprin when I have a migraine, it does work for me, it helps a lot :good:

edited to say better than the prescription stuff and less side effects (short term)

Edited by harrycatcat1

I put myself on 75mg per day for about 4 years and my GP said why? My weight is good (BMI 24.5), BP low, don't smoke and apart from a partial right bundle branch block I'm good. So I stopped taking them.

Aspirin thins the blood so reduces the risk of clots that can give rise to ischemia and strokes.

But...if you already have thin blood and a tendancy to bleed...you could get stomach ulcers and even a burst blood vessel in your brain...like a strike. :sad1:

SOOOOO....see your GP...it may or may not be worth the risk. GPs know better.

:good: