Nissan Pathfinder

mls77

Test drove one of these the other day, quite liked it tho it did seem a bit loud and rattley the misses has fallen in love with it. We do need a bigger car as we've just had a kid we live in very rural Cornwall and wants 4x4 so she can get everything she needs in the car as well as kid and dog. What are these like off road, running cost and reliability any help much appreciated.

One of my farmer friends said to my mate, who had a new one, "Get shut of it as quickly as possible. 50,000 miles and the engine will blow."

Now I don't really take that seriously, because there isn't a car out there that at least one person won't slag off.

Have a word with PW member, limestone cowboy. He's the guy that I know that had a new one.

I thought it was a lovely car. Engine seemed a bit noisier than some others I've been in, but thats just my opinion.

Run away from it . My mates Navara blew up the complete engine at 60,000 and its not uncommon . £5.000 to fix .

I here of lots having head issues

Done 80,000 in mine and runs sweet as a nut, the older d22 navaras had engine issues but no probs wuth my D40

atb Flynny

The problems with engines blowing up, timing chains coming off (and then wrecking the engines) are largely down to the 'extended service intervals' that were introduced to keep the fleet market happy. The oil gets contaminated, thin, watery, and loses a lot of its properties over time.

If you ignore those, and do an oil and filter change every 10k, you are a lot less likely to have any problems. If you really think that oil can last for 20k, then go for it. But I don't know a single mechanic that allows their own cars to go that long between oil changes.

The problems with engines blowing up, timing chains coming off (and then wrecking the engines) are largely down to the 'extended service intervals' that were introduced to keep the fleet market happy. The oil gets contaminated, thin, watery, and loses a lot of its properties over time.

If you ignore those, and do an oil and filter change every 10k, you are a lot less likely to have any problems. If you really think that oil can last for 20k, then go for it. But I don't know a single mechanic that allows their own cars to go that long between oil changes.

Well said spot on.

I change my oil and filter every 6.000k plus a tin of STP oil and the engine sounds sweeter.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER