Hanging shot wildfowl

samyw

I do not hang birds ( duck or geese ) any longer than it takes me to get around to pluck and draw them, usually within a couple of days . Get them in the freezer as soon as possible . I always think wildfowl taste a lot better for be frozen for a few months than when fresh.

Edited by anser2

I do not hang birds ( duck or geese ) any longer than it takes me to get around to pluck and draw them, usually within a couple of days . Get them in the freezer as soon as possible . I always think wildfowl taste a lot better for be frozen for a few months than when fresh.

Why is this do you think? Does it become a stronger taste? I prefer pheasant fresh rather hung I find it gets that livery taste if Hun too long.

Quote " I always think wildfowl taste a lot better for be frozen for a few months than when fresh.

Why is this do you think? Does it become a stronger taste? "

I am guessing its because freezing lose some of the strong flovour. Its been said that frozen chickens do not have half the taste of fresh. Well duck have a strong taste to start with so freezing may improve the flavour by reducing the flavour strength , but of course the cooking is the important thing.

Edited by anser2