Use it or loose it??

spanielchris

Seems feasible,

you gain your fac supposedly based on 'need' ie for vermin control or targetshooting within a club rather than simply "I want" or inherent 'right to have one'

So,

If you're not using a reasonable number of rounds per year then upon your renewal becoming due the powers that be (aka the Police licencing manager) might decide that you have insufficient need to justify them granting a renewal

Edited by TaxiDriver

I've had my FAC/ .22lr for about a year & a half now.

Me & the wife had our first child just over a year so time is very tight.

Been talking to a few mates & they say I need to start using the rifle/buying more ammo etc or I won't get a renewal granted to it comes round?? Is this true? ????

Your FAC last 5 years!!

TEH

Out of interest, has anyone any idea or experience of what is regarded by a firearms dept as a reasonable amount of rounds? I'm sure a lot of us are in the same situation this year with rabbit numbers, and down to virtually nothing round here.

Edited by turbo33

when I got my fac I was told that when I renew my licence and ask for open ticket it would be decided on the amount of ammo I have brought over the past 5 years. I also have asked for a number of items on my licence and they also told me that If I had not filled the slots buy the time of my renewal comes around I would prob lose them as well as it shows I have no need for them. Hope this helps?

Edited by crossy 666

Depends what you are shooting, if you shoot target only, the club will monitor the records and inform the firearms dept if you have not shot at least once in the year. In the case of some clubs, they will cancel your membership (which might be your only reason for your licence) if you do not attend a minimum number of times, at my club it is a minimum of four times a year, at some I have heard it can be a minimum of once monthly. They will also inform the FEO if they cancel your membership. Certainly Lincs FEOs review your ammo limit on each renewal based on your purchase history, taking into account reloading etc. Dunno about minimum for game shooting.

There must be a fair bit of leeway though, what about contractors/service personnel who worrk abroad for extended periods, or when people have surgery or illness, requiring extended convalescence?

If you have a few rifles you can only use 1 at a time,also depends what you go out to shoot,I discussed this when i first got my .222 and told firearms officer i may omly shoot a half a dozen rounds a year and he said it was fine,i also hace section 1 air rifle of which thereis no record of use and this used to be my main choice for bunnys,although now they all get used apart from this only rarely now.

So basicly what I am getting to is the fact that everyones circumstances are diiferent and they will see it that way,just make your point when the times comes,they may give you a chance to see what happens on next renewal,all about proving good reason to have one

I asked this when i got my ticket, i explained that i wouldnt be target shooting other than to zero a scope and check zero if I had any concerns about accuracy. I was told 500 rounds a year as a rough guideline but that it wasn't set in stone, and that they try to apply common sense depending on the individual and there needs/circumstances.

While you do need to prove you're using the rifle because firearm ownership isnt a right-there is nothing set in stone with regards to amounts.

200x 22lr rounds per year should be more than adequate to satisfy an FEO that you're still using the rifle. However,a deer stalker might struggle use half that amount in 5 years and a target shooter could easily use that amount in one shooting detail.

If you're in any doubt just go out and do some zeroing to reduce the amount you've got.

The reason you were granted the firearm is because you can show good reason for it. If you then don't use it then you don't have good reason for it, and not using any ammo is a good indication that it's not being used.

I assume you have it for pest control? You wouldn't be expected to go through many rounds for this, do you know anyone else with a .22 who could use some ammo - buy some and give it to them?

200 a year is not much but shows your using the thing. If you've got a decent ammo allowance (say hold 1000) you could expect to lose that if you only shot that much in 5 years.

If you can't give any away you could just go and buy a brick of the cheapest .22 ammo you can get - considering it can be had for a few pence each this won't break the bank - and spend a little time firing them into the ground zeroing. A sad waste, but don't be left unable to show you don't have a good reason for the firearm, this is a cheap and quick solution.

Edited by bedwards1966

I was chatting to my FEO last month as he gave my rifles back about ammo usage, and as i pointed out when i use a round it is usually to kill a rabbit for the pot,and if he wanted me to use more rounds then i could have a zeroing day with some mates and get rid off as many rounds as he wanted me to,he told me there was no problem about the amount of rounds used as long as they were being used.

1. You do have to demonstrate 'need' of any firearm, just that you have a 'good reason' for holding them. If you have a large garden and bunnies eat your cabbages then there is no reason you cannot have a FAC to shoot 2 rabbits per year. The only problem you can have with a renewal is when your good reason no longer exists - ie you have a rifle for paid stalking but no stalking booked.

2. Nowhere is there any suggestion how much ammunition you need to use in any given period of time. The only mention of ammo amounts in the police guidance comes from people who can demonstrate a bigger need may hold larger amounts.

3. Do bear in mind that a reduction in ammo holding is a PARTIAL REVOCATION OF YOUR CERTIFICATE. If the police ever suggest lowering your ammo holding you must refuse. The question on the application form 'have you ever had a FAC refused or revoked' legally for-evermore you would have to tick yes. I ran this past a lawyer I know and he confirmed it.

10.40 The amount of ammunition entered at

(a) will not of course be smaller than (B).

The amount may be the same in both cases

but no doubt chief officers of police will

consider that as a rule the entry at (a) should

be slightly larger than at (B) in order that the

holder of a certificate may purchase a fresh

supply of ammunition before their existing

supply is exhausted. Any reduction in the

amount of ammunition to be possessed or

purchased would count as a partial revocation

of the certificate or partial refusal of the

application, and would require service of the

appropriate notices and may need justification