Vermin with .22 LR

Rogc

Please bear with me this may be a silly question, but I always thought .22LR was good for vermin control, as it was very quiet. I have a CZ 452 with a moderator, however it would be far to noisy for rabbits. Is it just the ammo im using, will subsonic mean its a lot quieter.

Thanks in advance.

Please bear with me this may be a silly question, but I always thought .22LR was good for vermin control, as it was very quiet. I have a CZ 452 with a moderator, however it would be far to noisy for rabbits. Is it just the ammo im using, will subsonic mean its a lot quieter.

Thanks in advance.

you want subsonics if you want it to be quiet if its noisy i would guess you are using hv rouns,

subs are generally more accurate too

colin

Thanks in advance.

do you have expanding ammo on your ticket, or just target rounds

from the way you have asked the question, I take it you have not used this anywhere other than a club, so do you have an open ticket, or have you added a permission to your cert

from the way you have asked the question, I take it you have not used this anywhere other than a club, so do you have an open ticket, or have you added a permission to your cert

I dont have expanding ammo, as I only have a range ticket. I have posted under general shooting ref shooting with someone with an open ticket,im told I can do this as long as I dont use my own gun. Bizarre. Clarity on this would be good.I

I dont have expanding ammo, as I only have a range ticket. I have posted under general shooting ref shooting with someone with an open ticket,im told I can do this as long as I dont use my own gun. Bizarre. Clarity on this would be good.I

Winchester produce subsonic solid ammunition which is whisper quiet with a sound moderator and pretty accurate too.

I picked up some ammo on Friday, stating that i didn't want expanding as its not covered on my ticket. When i got home i noticed the box said hollow point. I took it back the next day, and exchanged for some solid. They said it wasn't expanding even though it was hollow point. Has anyone experienced this before, were they correct.

Hollow point IS expanding and you should have that option on your fac-you should also use it for vermin as it kills much more cleanly.My cz prefers Eley subs or RWS-you will not get better ammo .

Read post below.

Winchester subs all the way for me, well priced, consistant and deadly.

The noisiest part of my 22lr setup is that of the round hitting the target.

Hollow point is expanding, they sold you that by mistake and tried to cover their tracks by saying it isnt ;)

Thankyou

Would the best way forward to be to get your ticket altered to cover you to shoot vermin and small ground game with your .22LR - Assuming of course that you have a permission to shoot vermin and small ground game on. Then you could ask for and would get "Expanding Ammunition" put on your ticket and could buy any make or brand of "Hollow Point" or "Expanding Ammunioion" that your gun fired accurately. I believe that I am right in saying that if you do not have "Expanding Ammunition" on your ticket you should never have been sold "Hollow Points" by any Gun Shop or RFD!

I use Magtech Hollow Points which are extremely accurate in my little Browning Pumper with a SAK moderator and you can hardly hear the actual shot - The bullet impacting on a rabbit is much louder than the shot itself!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Obtaining permissions appears easier said than done.

Even trying to go along to assist on someone elses permission is not easy. I thought this would be the easiest way, get known by the Farmers then ask about permissions in my own right, but it appears people are quite rightly protective of ther permissions.

Still persistance will pay off eventually.

Edited by Rogc

Thanks in advance.

As others have said; subsonic is a lot quieter than HV through a moderator because with HV you're hearing the bullet breaking the sound barrier more than the actual gunshot. Even with subs though, most rabbits will respond to the sound of your shot and the sound of your bullet impacting the rabbit next to them. Rabbits also have a habit of twitching/flipping all over the place when headshot and this can spook the other rabbits too. The more you shoot a particular piece of land, the more the rabbits will associate your activity with danger and respond to it.

As your FAC is for target, I'd be very surprised if you've never used subsonic .22LR's. They're generally more accurate, quieter and the standard for most clubs. Some target match ammo is hollowpoint but not designed to expand, whilst some hunting solid points are designed to fragment. Ballistics is a complicated game but to be safe, stick to solids until you have the expanding condition on your ticket. Your RFD was mad to sell you hollowpoints!

I use my CZ455 for rabbits, and very accurate it is too. I use Wini Subs as it likes these best. Not had a problem with them. It is whisper quiet and the first thing the bunny knows is when the bullet hits. You will need to use hollow points though. They are expanding and my feo made the stipulation that I use them for hunting. I have a Sak mod on the front and a mate recons it is quieter than a spring air rifle.

Edited by Uncle Albert