Repairing Caravan Damp

ferguson_tom

Hi Everyone

In my search for a cheap caravan i have come across a van which ticks all the right boxes, but it is damp and by sound of it very damp. Its a 1997 swift 4 berth. Talking to the seller the whole nearside is damp, some of the front is patchy and some of the offside is as well. I am going to look tomorrow but have provisionally agreed a price of a few hundred quid - the van if dry is worth about 2500-3000.

Just wondering if any of you have repaired damp caravans before and how you found it. I am pretty competent DIYer and done work on our old caravans but never damp repairs. My idea is to just take the whole interior out (luckily the bathroom is fine) and take all the wall boards off and leave a dehumidifier in there for a few weeks then work my way round it replacing anything that needs doing. All going to be undercover as well. Does this sound like the best way of doing it or is it better to deal with it in sections. Also i will reseal all the panels and awning rails etc to stop the water coming in again.

All the best Tom

Forget it, that much damp in means the thing is a rot box. You will end up replacing everything, the floor could be sprung/rotted too! Much better to find a dry van, or one with minimal damp. You will need to reseal the outside wall joints as well!

+1

It sounds like it may well need the boards AND framework replaced. If the floor has delaminated too then it's a HUGE task. This generally happens because many people dont understand the vans need resealing every couple of year! Lack of such maintainance leads to the damp as you describe it. A small damp patch yeah not a prob, but it sounds like this thing will not be cost effective. If its just £200 then I would be more inclined to strip it and sell the cushions, kitchen, bathroom, windows, roof light, lights, stripping it all down to the chassis and sell that too. A good chassis such as ALKO can fetch £150 to £200 on its own

I bought a cheap £300 van for my daughter to use as a 'den'. As she is approaching those teenage years, it's nice for her to have somewhere to have her pals around at school lunchtimes and after school,. etc.

There was a point somewhere on the top, which was leaking... I think it was the top (middle) joint seal. The roof had weakened, and constantly had a puddle of rain on top, which I sorted by bracing the inside ceiling (Pushed it upwards and secured with batons) As it's a static 2 berth, I just sealed everything with silicone outside, and stuck a dehumidifier in it overnight.

Seems to have done the trick.

A lot of damp in a caravan, though, can also be dangerous due to the mould spores. If anyone has allergies or asthma... Might be a bad idea.

Forget it, that much damp in means the thing is a rot box. You will end up replacing everything, the floor could be sprung/rotted too! Much better to find a dry van, or one with minimal damp. You will need to reseal the outside wall joints as well!

I agree if the one we had was anything to go by the problem is 100x worse than what it looks initially and what seems like an easy fix like replacing a mastic joint turns into a major job stripping out and replacing sodden insulation and rotten framing - which to get at requires even more stripping etc. There are so many caravans out there for reasonable money it's really not worth taking a gamble on a damp one take your time and you'll eventually find a good one.

While i remember fondly a number of " almost camping " family holidays when i was a kid I'm not to sure of the point of a touiring caravan now that diesel is so expensive. Go any distance and its got to be cheaper to stay in a hotel! or save the fuel and pitch a decent sized tent. Each to their own I suppose.

OP sounds like you are taking on a lot of work - if you are up for doing that make sure that the internal fittings are undamaged- they wouldd be costly to replace !

Thanks for the replies, even the very useful set fire to it ones :lol: I need a caravan as we own vintage tractors and a steam engine and so exhibit at steam and country shows etc. I must admit nothing on the road annoys me more than a caravan being towed by an incompetent driver - I don't think you would complain too much about following me towing a caravan I don't hang about. (But still very safe)

With regards to the correct materials I will be buying all the proper caravan stuff as do not want to be doing it again. I am seeing it tomorrow so will see how much work it actually needs.

You need to see it when the Muppets have their Rally near here, its chaos for days before and after as they mostly seem to think its a good idea to drive whatever tractor or steam engine they have there. Then over the weekend they have a who can drink the most and still drive said steam engine or tractor to the pub and back :ermm: some right funny sorts.

You need to see it when the Muppets have their Rally near here, its chaos for days before and after as they mostly seem to think its a good idea to drive whatever tractor or steam engine they have there. Then over the weekend they have a who can drink the most and still drive said steam engine or tractor to the pub and back :ermm: some right funny sorts.

A caravan being towed by a steam roller along the singe-carriageway section of the A303 on a bank holiday weekend..... Now there's an image!

Nick

#

I am one of those muppets see you in June :P I must disagree with you about the drinking though the majority of people with engines and tractors do not drink and drive the engines, maybe a pint down the pub on the evening road run but nothing serious. Everyone looks out for each other and that includes people drink driving and risking problems for the rest of us.

The caravan wont go behind the roller it shakes the caravans to bits and the black smuts are a pain to get off the white caravan roof instead, i will post a pic up later of the roller living van which goes behind it.

Personally, if I were to own and run an old steam traction engine, I would want to tow something age related behind it. One of those old romany horse drawn wooden jobbies perhaps!

half of them do

#

I am one of those muppets see you in June :P I must disagree with you about the drinking though the majority of people with engines and tractors do not drink and drive the engines, maybe a pint down the pub on the evening road run but nothing serious. Everyone looks out for each other and that includes people drink driving and risking problems for the rest of us.

we are going back a few years and the real problems were when the show was at its previous home and all the dingleberries at 2mph on roads with lots of bends. Its much better in Codicote well out of our way :whistling:

A lot will depend on how long the van has been leaking-if its fairly recent then get the van resealed by a pro-ours was about £300 a couple of years back.If resale value is around 2.5k then you can afford to spend a bit on it-you will get it back when you sell anyway.Delamination of the floor is no great problem either-it can be drilled and have glue injected into the holes-you can the fit laminate flooring to hide the repair-should be less than £100 in total if you do it yourself.In the meantime get it under cover and remove the upholstery before it gets mouldy-you can get dehumidifiers on the bay for less than £40.

Edited by bruno22rf