how to make a pigeon floater

Mr Rizzini

Ok here we go,

Thanks to everyone that helped and answered my questions in other threads I started.

I have made this thread to keep it clean for anyone wanting to see all the parts and video all in one place so here you's go and hope it helps someone in the future as I had a lot of digging to do to find everything I needed.

First off you will need a sentry (head up) full body pigeon decoy and a set off foam wings and tail, I painted my ones that I got of ebay but have recently found that AA Decoy (Andy Moss) sells a great set for £5 per set and they have a great pattern that I dont think would require any futher painting. Once you get your bird it will need a curve shape cut into it for the wings ( the curve will stop the wings from falling out) I recommend drilling a hole at each side of the cut to stop futher ripping taking place. You will need to cut the tail as well to take the new foam tail. You will also need to place 2-3 holes in each side of the bird for the cradle in different wind conditions, My one in the photo is a bit holey as I was experimenting with different holes but you will only need 2-3 around the balance point of the pigeon.

Here is my first decoy bird

IMG_0029_zpsbdbedfb0.jpg

IMG_0025_zps3e4770f1.jpg

Next up we will make the cradle that will hold the bird and stop it from flipping upside down when a strong gust of wind hits it. I used a 1 metre piece of 4mm steel rod from B&Q which will make 2 cradles, When you have cut the rod in half make a mark 3 cm from the centre of each half as you will need one leg of the cradle longer than the other (see photos for anti flip leg).

One leg/arm of the cradle will need a extra leg to stop the bird from flipping over and this can control the angle the bird will sit on the cradle.

IMG_0026_zpsa99dc278.jpg

Note how the leg is bend back slightly so when inside the bird it will touch the birds back at a certain angle to stop flipping

IMG_0027_zpse2f0090d.jpg

Next you will need a 1 metre length of 6mm fibreglass rod (B&Q but is very expensive compared to mainland kite stores). At the end of the rod you can see I used a piece of steel tubing from B&Q which the 6mm rod will fit inside and not have to much free play. I drilled and tapped a thread in the piece of tube then I made a thumb screw which allowed me to lock the rod into place. Then simple hammer down the other end so the cradle can fit into it nice and tight.

IMG_0028_zps9d573e95.jpg

Now take a 8mm tent pole (fibreglass type) and a piece of the same pipe you used to make the cradle adapter, grind this down slightly so it fits tight into the tentpole metal end and then put a slight bend into it as similar to my photo.

IMG_00231_zps75c8f985.jpg

Now get a short piece of pipe, similar to hide pole width will do, And simple set your tent pole with the bend into it and you can use a normal one first to give you more height.

IMG_0032_zps809352ef.jpg

IMG_0034_zpsbbe2f1fe.jpg

Now slot everything together and hey presto you have a great floater/bouncer that cost pennys.

IMG_0037_zpsc4ffabbf.jpg

I still haven't paint my poles etc but you get the idea and excuse the video as it was done on my mobile and just a quick look at how it go's together.

cheers again to everyone that helped me get all the information together.

peace out.

hi that's a good first go at making a floater do b and q just do white fibre glass rods.also have you thought about painting the rod or just an idea would it be better to camo tape the rod just a thought

B&Q only do the white, Think I will mix some matt black with fullers earth and give them a paint, I haven't painted them yet as I'm waiting until I have a few made for my father as well.

Brilliant post, thanks for putting it up. It is exactly what I was looking for and hoping would come up to use for crows while decoying - Well done mate I will be doing a couple in the next week or so!

TOP TIP!

For Crow shooting, I use a dead bird fixed to a floater that are available for around £10. When the fibre rod is extended to it's fullest, the bird looks very 'real' with it's movements.

Have a look at this, http://www.gunmart.n..._pigeon_decoys/

I will be interested in what you think. (If link works that is:( )

GH

your decoys look like a good job mate but at £70 a pair plus whatever the postage is I would rather save my £90-£100 and make them for approx £15 each ;)

P.S Nice one on getting a link to your decoys in on my post though.

Edited by Mr Rizzini

Not trying to advertise since I don't make them anymore. Was showing you an alternative way of making them. Thought you were ready for the next stage. Just trying to help.

The costing for the whole thing was about £12 in materials which are all good quality and were built to last.

As you know I have some various bits left including black flexible rod if I can help anyone out.

GH

Not trying to advertise since I don't make them anymore. Was showing you an alternative way of making them. Thought you were ready for the next stage. Just trying to help.

The costing for the whole thing was about £12 in materials which are all good quality and were built to last.

As you know I have some various bits left including black flexible rod if I can help anyone out.

GH

Your's look like a great job mate and perhaps you could show us photos and explain how you went about your cradle design and where you got your materials since you aren't selling them now :)

Taking the time to paint the birds etc is well worth paying someone like yourself to make them for you but unfortunately I lost my job and need to keep the cost down to a minimum :(

You should have put your on ebay mate :)

Edited by Mr Rizzini

They used to be on eBay. Sold quite a few and to PW members.

Thought the review explained most of what goes into making them. That's why I posted the link.

sorry to hear you are out of work. I'm retired so the extra bit of cash came in handy for a while.

GH

Edited by Greenhunter

problem with ebay is the fee's, People dont understand the work that goes into things and I imagine that you put I lot of time into your decoys and people prob wanted them for nothing lol. Since my work shut down Iv'e had to much time on my hands and thought some floaters would keep me busy.