Which subsonic ammunition?

il cacciatore

Subsonic  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What subsonic ammunition for the .22 do you like the best?

• CCI
    • Eley
    • Magtech
    • Remington
    • RWS
    • Winchester
    • other (please state in the thread)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I struggle with any rounds that are well coated in wax as they get stuck in the breach so I am using cci subs and mini mags as they seem to be extracting ok.

Ow and remington subs are compleat **** I had to take 3 boxes back to the shop all the heads were loose and I had subs going sonic and falling short. :(

Edited by Amazed

Overall has to be Winnies for me in CZ452,Eleys less fussy on stock bolt torque but dearer & seem to pack slightly less "wallop".CCi Velocitors accurate(hit high & left compared to subs) but SO noisy!CCi segmented hit hard & quite accurate but hard to chamber as well as often transonic in my gun.Strangely had some good accuracy from Remington subs(even those with loose heads :hmm: ) but noticeable lack of expansion/hitting power & some batches good,some batches rubbish.

I have used most makes at some point. I used to favour Winchester then they went a bit rubbish for a while but seem to be back on form now, Eleys were good but heavy on the wax,I am using normal CCI subsonic hollow points and accuracy is very good.

I think a bolt action will cope with most stuff.

I hate Remmington and find them inconsistent and very poor for power and expansion.

It seems from the poll that I am a bit of an odd ball (Nothing unusual about that I surpose) because I am the only one (So far) that has voted for Magtech. I have to say that my Browning Pumper is not too fussy about what ammunition I feed it with but I have been using Magtech for quite a while now as I found a supplier that was reasonably priced and the ammunition does exactly what I want it to - I hits and kills rabbits cleanly out to 100 yards as long as I get my bit right!

One thing I will say about Magtech is that it is one of the quietest types of sub sonic ammunitions I have used in my rifle!

Edited by Frenchieboy

It seems from the poll that I am a bit of an odd ball (Nothing unusual about that I surpose) because I am the only one (So far) that has voted for Magtech. I have to say that my Browning Pumper is not too fussy about what ammunition I feed it with but I have been using Magtech for quite a while now as I found a supplier that was reasonably priced and the ammunition does exactly what I want it to - I hits and kills rabbits cleanly out to 100 yards as long as I get my bit right!

One thing I will say about Magtech is that it is one of the quietest types of sun sonic ammunitions I have used in my rifle!

That'll be the solar power! :lol:

you typed sun sonic previous :good:

Ahhhhhh, I see now! :good::good::good:

Thank you for pointing that out to me mate!

Not only is my humour filter malfunctioning today my brain appears to have gone on a total strike! :lol::lol::lol:

I blame it all on the weather and a gross lack of alcohol! :lol::lol::lol:

p.s. I have edited it now! :yes:

Winchester. It's the only stuff I've tried (BRNO/CZ 452), I have found it to be more accurate than me, reasonably priced, and reliable. I can't ask more than that, so I haven't tried anything else.

Winchester all the way. Used to use Eley ( approx 2000 rounds) but they became a problem when they would not eject. Since using Winchester, (which group equally as good as the Eley) i have noticed that they seem to hit harder. No turning back now :good:

I'm convinced the results here will depend on regional availability, price and usage.

Generalisations.... there will always be exceptions!

Eley will win easily for target work, they also get a lot of praise for general accuracy in the field. I would not argue with that, and the debate will rage, but Eley have a small HP which offers terrible expansion generally, if it's accurate who cares many will say!

The Winchester are accurate, perhaps a fraction less than Eley, but their HP is enormous and expands very well, offering excellent terminal ballistic results on quarry with a massive bullet track and high energy transfer in relation to Eley.

Magtech offer similar to Winchester, and both my .22lr love them, the problem is limited availability and price now, these have more than doubled in price over about the last 4 years taking them from being cheap to expensive in the market place.

For me and my general requirements Winchester best fit the bill these days, but I actually prefer Magtech.

I voted other... I use SK/Lapua subsonics :good:

On the waxy side but extremely consistent, I won a 100yd target rifle comp with a box after I forgot to pack my usual Match ammo!

My Ruger prefers them to Eley subs.

this is were the difference shows- at extended ranges, my favoured round also