How do they find rape in this snow?

sitsinhedges

Had some on rape yesterday, I think they must know where they are!

They were landing on the higher ones and just brush off fresh snow as they land (I think it's easier for them), they made clean patches I could see from my hide.

I've seen one hundred or more roaming about a couple of acres of rape in my permission and I must say GOD BLESS SNOW!!! :yahoo:

that's the first time I saw them hitting rape this year. if the weather keeps up, I'm gonna try next week end, bu this time I'll be prepared B)

I went today and a couple of hundred birds were in the field covered with snow ! So I set up in the hedge row cleared a patch and stuck some decoys out and nothing !! Still hundreds of birds dropping into the middle of the field from a wood in the far corner. So I packed up just after dinner and walked over to the wood and theywere still in the middle of the field even after scaring them off they just dropped back down again. About an hour later a montjack ran through the field and all the birds took off and headed straight at me in the wood, managed one but missed loads !! Didn't know where to ******* shoot birds everywhere !! Anyway a few more returned to the middle and was to cold to stay any longer but wish I had as when I got back to the truck and looked back at the wood it was swarming with pigeons probably coming to roost ! Point is they badly wanted that rape snow or no snow .................

Loads on our Rape today, despite a good covering of snow,and foggy all day. 200 yards visibility at best untill 3p.m Still shot a half dozen by walking round and catching them as they came through the fog towards sitty trees. No good putting them up off the rape.... they just vanished - didn't even circle round like they sometimes do in fog. All those shot had crops full of rape, but all seemed a little light in bodyweight.

I went today and a couple of hundred birds were in the field covered with snow ! So I set up in the hedge row cleared a patch and stuck some decoys out and nothing !! Still hundreds of birds dropping into the middle of the field from a wood in the far corner. So I packed up just after dinner and walked over to the wood and theywere still in the middle of the field even after scaring them off they just dropped back down again. About an hour later a montjack ran through the field and all the birds took off and headed straight at me in the wood, managed one but missed loads !! Didn't know where to ******* shoot birds everywhere !! Anyway a few more returned to the middle and was to cold to stay any longer but wish I had as when I got back to the truck and looked back at the wood it was swarming with pigeons probably coming to roost ! Point is they badly wanted that rape snow or no snow .................

I don't think it's a great idea to be firing into big flocks of birds. It just makes the pigeons more wary, making it harder still to decoy them.

More snow = less birds,

Cat.

Just enough patches of green showing through to concentrate them in the few snow-free areas today - big heaps of pigeon all trying to feed, and I had no time to go and play -. Just watching them whenever I drove by! Tomorrow , I got time, but betcha we have Cats big dump of snow in time to spoil it! Looks likely to spoil our penultimate day on the Pheasants on Saturday, too.

Actually over the years hard snow aint been all bad for me shooting pigeons. I know they wither and thin out quickly and waste,but i have shot some big bags of pigeon on rape when the snow has been falling. On one ocassion blizzerding and windy i shot 190. back in the 1980s i cleared a patch of rape in deep snow with a friend of mine and shot 120. So as for no pigeon shooter wants to see snow,think again.

Actually over the years hard snow aint been all bad for me shooting pigeons. I know they wither and thin out quickly and waste,but i have shot some big bags of pigeon on rape when the snow has been falling. On one ocassion blizzerding and windy i shot 190. back in the 1980s i cleared a patch of rape in deep snow with a friend of mine and shot 120. So as for no pigeon shooter wants to see snow,think again.

yes last year me and Leslie shots loads by clearing the snow off with a stiff sweeping brush they see the green from above then its bang, bang time :good:

Well, do you remember the bad Winter of 1963, 'cos I do, there was a fair bit of snow then for weeks on end and the pigeons were hitting the Kale big time, put the poor devils were literally keeling over from starvation, they were simply too weak to fly, it was dreadful.

The problem I find with snow is that the birds appear to be "snow blind", in that they can't seem to see the deeks, which is amazing seeing how well they stick out, I've never understood it..??

I too have had decent bags in the snow, but more often than not, they don't want to know.

Cat.

im gona try my luck tomoz for the 1st time in the snow, more to keep the farmer happy than anything as i havent had a chance since chrimbo eve....there has been alot of action on the ground the past few weeks but not been able to have a look since the snow has fallen.......seems like its 50 50 on opinions...so heres hopeing!!!

will take on board all the tips you fellas have given in this topic and report back tomoz

Sitting watching about 200 birds land in the field in front of my front room. Field has been left to wild flowers for a year. The farmer has just mown a few runs in it. They seem to be preoccupied with the chopped up clover, grass etc. oh and it's snowing like mad!

On my permission but has a foot path running though it. Very busy on weekends quite during week. hope they are still on it tomorrow!