Your beaters day

magman

Always hold mine on the last but one shoot of the season. (On the syndicate shoot that I Captain). Held it on 11th Jan this year. I have only 8 brushers, as we call them around these parts, who shoot. So with the help of them that don't I let my 9 syndicate members and 8 brushers all carry a gun. They draw for a number which they keep all day.

On each drive I tell each number what he's doing on that drive. I work out with the keeper how many walkers we need on each drive and let the rest stand. Most of the time we let the brushers who are walking to be a flank, back or walking gun so they get more shooting than the syndicate members do.

This year we did six drives and got 60 head of pheasant and then, at three o'clock, everyone took to the woods for a couple of hours of pigeon roost shooting which pleased the farmer. Got 38 and a couple of squirrels this time. So 100 head over the day and everyone happy. It is always a good fun day.

Two weeks later we hold our last formal shoot of the season. This way the brushers always get a fair crack of the whip - And quite rightly too.

I only shot 2 birds today, for 5 cartridges but my wee nephew shot like a demon, so proud of him. 2 Screaming pheaseants on his first peg and he downed the pair!! His second drive he missed a sitter, missed judge how fast a glider is going! He then down another 2 lovely birds as they came over the line!

We had ours today, I shot - 9 Pheasants a Woodcock a Wood pigeon & a Squizzer

Sprackles joined us for the day & had a "Few" shots too ......... He had a great day & it looks like he's gonna be joining the beating line next season

Edited by V8 90

Had ours today. Brilliant day. Before the last drive I had four pheasant for 9 cartridges. After the last drive I had 5 pheasant for 17 carts lol! For some reason missed all the easy birds and hit the hard ones!

Took the girlfriend for her first ever pheasant shoot and she shot her first ever bird so she was well chuffed.

Edited by oscarsdad

Let us know how you get on; no pressure.

Well despite having hardly picked a gun up this year, it seems i've finally learned how to shoot!!!

Total bag was 292 between 21 guns, so an average of 11.4 birds per gun. I got 17 for 53 shots shooting which i was extremely pleased with, only my 3rd beaters day, 1st year i bagged 2 and last year 4 shooting 11/1 so 3.1/1 is a definate improvement on my part.

Everyone had a great day, but for me it was real special because i shot the second drive of the day next to the keeper (my father in law) with my mrs and the dog standing behind picking up, i dropped 7 on that drive, 2 of them at the keepers feet (payback for last year) and it's the same peg i bagged the first 2 pheasants i ever shot 2 years ago, must be my lucky peg.

Roll on next year!

@otherway up. Re-reading my original post i can see it may be missinterpreted as an average bag per gun, that's not the case, i meant the average bag for the day across all guns.

Edited by Bad Monkey