Decoying with an air rifle?

Barton90

If you're looking for numbers in the bag, a shottie will outperform an air rifle most days of the week. You can certainly put a bag together with the airgun, but it takes a lot of patience. It's a very enjoyable way to spend a few hours in the field, however, so definitely give it a go! Rules about the decoys and patterning all apply the same way as they do for shotguns, you just need to be able to shoot to the ground and not the air (unless you're taking birds from trees). being able to take the shot with the minimal amount of movement is key. stay still, bring the birds in and get shooting. oh, and don't accidentally shoot your own decoys, that doesn't help... :whistling:

Edited by chrisjpainter

Yeah the plan was to make up a little hide for a prone position in/ under the hedge row a 180 degree field of view decoys out at say 30-40 yards max (only using a falcon FN19 @ 12ft/lb) Sound about right?

not really worried about massive bag number as long as I could get enough for dinner and maybe a few in the freezer I'd be well chuffed

I use a few lofters up in a small oak tree, the pigeons sit there most days between feeding sessions, I've always had more targets in the tree than trying to get them down onto ground decoys. Works all year round but obviously the leaves do get in the way through the summer months, as the others have said, keep still, stay hidden even when sighting, the slightest noise or movement will spook them, I normally shoot from 30 yards and always go for heart shots, far more reliable than trying to get head shots. Average session is about one bird every 20 minutes, but odd days I've had a shot every 10 minutes, a very enjoyable way to spend an afternoon and get a few pigeons for tea, good luck.

It can be very successful but you need the right conditions. A feeding area near a sitty tree is ideal, that gives you the option of ground shots as well as sitting birds.

My favourite site (after the barley is cut) is a sittey tree 30 yards or so to my left, a hide cut into a hedge but with a pop hole at the top so I can stand up inside the hedge and have a look round. Ideally I like the wind in my face, that way any birds coming into the pattern approach from behind me, land facing away from me and I have a few seconds to get ashot while they're having a look around.

Put decoys out and memorize the ranges to make it easier on yourself. Add shot birds to the pattern and don't be afraid to move things around regularly otherwise the birds will soon wise up.

No need for ghillie suits or anything like that, just a well built hide with netting and some natural foliage, if I'm right in a hedge I just wear a pair of olive green overalls, take drinks and food but keep it all in a green holdall or similar, flask cups and crisp packets stand out like a vicar in a strip club.

One other tip, build your hide the day before, then stand back 35 yards and look at it, if you can see into it then so can the pigeons.

Yeah where im shooting basically there is obviously the field then there is like some longish grass around the edges which leads on to loads of massive trees. I went walking round there yesterday looking for rabbits and got side tracked with this idea, I know there feeding here and I know there sitting in these trees between feeding just wanted to ask for some advice on how to go about it really, any way im gunna keep my eye on the situation as I wont get back out for a week or so and hopefully come back with a good progress report. Cheers guys =)

On the land I shoot there are some double hedge rows that are very thick in the summer. Late winter and early spring though I walk through them to get the birds out, set up some lofting poles and then sit in a ghillie and wait. The other method I use is to put a couple of full body decoys in the corner of a field and then as the birds land take them then. Hope this is of help.

• 2 months later...

Yeah that's what I thought like I said I was thinking of a little hide to lie prone under maybe even a ghillie just so I'm as broken up and undetectable as possible

just make sure you tell the farmer where you are, or if in an area of local dog walkers, place up warning signs, I once scared the bejesus out of my farmer/permission as he rounded part of the field and nearly stepped on me

I've been doin this a few times through winter and find decoys near an already used sitty tree works best they come into the tree and u can shoot them while they are sussing out the decoys below it takes there eyes off u. I've also had them land no more than 10m from the hide so I'm happy I'm building it ok.

After seeing Phil Hardmans bags of 60+ last year I plan to give it a go this year !

So offen its a case with the shotgun that theres loads about and after one shot they are off not to return again..... Hopefully this is where the air rifle will help cause less distubance !

:D

After seeing Phil Hardmans bags of 60+ last year I plan to give it a go this year !

So offen its a case with the shotgun that theres loads about and after one shot they are off not to return again..... Hopefully this is where the air rifle will help cause less distubance !

:D

Me too :yes: I had a couple of good sessions at the end of last year.