Union, should I join or not?

V8landy

The unions have been responsible for a lot of job losses and would never join one, Where do your donations go ?, to the fatcat union leaders on over a hundred grand a year, and not forgetting supporting the Labour party. Your choice though. :no:

In days gone by the above may have been true. Unions get a very bad press as people remember the disputes and strikes of the 70's & 80's. Thankfully things have changed well certainly within the professional unions, and industrial action is now the last thing any union wants, as this will obviously have a negative impact upon the business and potentially threaten the members longer term prospects. Being a member of a union is not about strikes and mass pickets, it is about ensuring that personnel are treated fairly, not victimised, and have somewhere other than HR to turn to. In our organisation, even the senior management are members of professional unions.

Union benefits are much more than at first visible. Have a look at your unions website, see what they offer, free 24 hour a day legal advice for one :)

As for your union subscriptions support the Labour party this is not necessarily true, as not all unions are politically affiliated, they may have a political fund, which is used for lobbying, but doesn't necessarily contribute towards political party coffers.

Edited by Rogc

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Round here, the GNB (?)

Started to get involved in the taxi trade when the local taxi association asked the local licensing authority for a tarrif increase and were refused.

The council refused, the Gnb's answer was to call a strike and get all the Self Employed taxi owners to stop working :idiots:

The taxi association committee in typical self serving knee jerk reaction style adopted the action and forced it upon the members under fear of being expelled and kicked off the station taxi rank.

The taxi association and supposed GNB representatives then sought the support of the 25% of the taxi owners who they'd always activel excluded from joining the association and therefore the station taxi rank, again threats against vehicles and persons and intimidation being the norm rather than a sound policy.

My only previous of a union is a much more positive one where I had an industrial injury and the union (NUR) took up my case and got me medical treatment, transport, compensation AND Union sick pay whilst I was off

So you are saying that the union did nothing to help you being in a union is not like buying a loto ticket every week and hopping that they will solve all of your problems it is you the members that have the power not some union official in London he will not step in if he thinks that you are not going to back him up if it comes to the crunch.

Lurch.

A union is only as good as ....The body of workers in the company.

We got no advice (legal standing etc), no suggestions,no support, nothing.

Where would Coal Mining be if it weren't for the unions?

:/

they would still be gone, they started a closure program long before thatcher hurried it along,but without unions the mine owners could have kept on killing people and having a total disrespect for the safety of the workers for a lot longer than they were able to.

Below is a press release after one such mass killing, yeah terrible things unions, though not so bad as ignorance. :oops:

One instance of this total disregard for the loss of human life is reflected in a newspaper article written at the time of the Risca Blackvein Colliery explosion of 1860, when 146 men and boys lost their lives. It reported of the "severe financial loss suffered by the mine owner, with the death of 28 pit ponies at an estimated value of £1,000".

I'm a member of a union that represents 85% of the workforce.

I still get fed up of listening to people moan about "the union not doing anything for us". A union is just that, everyone as one body. You have to be united to be heard. If one person points out something unfair or dangerous to management then he is branded a trouble causer, if a union representative does the same then they have to sit up, pay attention and listen. My advice would be join and get involved. Don't expect "the union" to do everything. Take the bull by the horns and lead by example. Unity is strength. :good:

Edited by Logo

Other than the obvious benefits metioned above, if the union walks out and fights for fair pay and conditions for it's members, as a non member should you get those benefits if you weren't prepared to risk all along side your work mates. On the other hand when I temped for the council and they went on strike all the members saw it as a day off with out pay so they never went to the picket.

Edited by White Lodge

Quote made by a hope to be boss in your dreams I hope.

For your information I am my own boss and have been for most of my life, I also employ people, and not one of them are remotely interested in joining a union, even though I am in one of the most dangerous jobs. One of my colleagues was killed last week doing his work, I have had my very close calls, but I am still here luckily.

I would'nt bother, joined the union at the age of 18 and when I was made redundant at the age of 61 they were no help whatsoever, in my opinion they only seem interested in those that are "union minded" and show an interest in the proceedings. The average worker that joins for insurance does'nt seem to benefit. As said, just my opinion based on my personal experience.

For your information I am my own boss and have been for most of my life, I also employ people, and not one of them are remotely interested in joining a union, even though I am in one of the most dangerous jobs. One of my colleagues was killed last week doing his work, I have had my very close calls, but I am still here luckily.

Your colleague was killed, you have had "close calls" you consider the fact you are still here only by good luck, but unions are carp and you dont need them, do you think health and safety legislation in the workplace was a voluntary thing brought about by caring employers? and do you see fairy's at the bottom of your garden.

KW

I was referring to people who employ large numbers of people small concerns where there are only a small number of employees there is probably little point in belonging to a union.

I would'nt bother, joined the union at the age of 18 and when I was made redundant at the age of 61 they were no help whatsoever, in my opinion they only seem interested in those that are "union minded" and show an interest in the proceedings. The average worker that joins for insurance does'nt seem to benefit. As said, just my opinion based on my personal experience.

I think that you said it all when you said that you paid your dues and left it to others to do all of the the union work if you could not be bothered why would you think that they would be bothered with you.

Your colleague was killed, you have had "close calls" you consider the fact you are still here only by good luck, but unions are carp and you dont need them, do you think health and safety legislation in the workplace was a voluntary thing brought about by caring employers? and do you see fairy's at the bottom of your garden.

KW

Safety comes from experience and common sense, whatever your job. And unions only want your money for the fatcats.

And as for fairy's, I only see them after a few tipples.

Safety comes from experience and common sense, whatever your job. And unions only want your money for the fatcats.

And as for fairy's, I only see them after a few tipples.

Sadly it doesn't, the only thing that comes with what people consider experience and common sense , is complacency ! a very very dangerous thing, the ones who "know it all" are the ones who consistently drop the cods, fact.

KW

I think that you said it all when you said that you paid your dues and left it to others to do all of the the union work if you could not be bothered why would you think that they would be bothered with you.

Try arguing from factual knowledge and not ignorance, I paid and expect to get the same degree of protection as the those that are lefties...simple.

So you are a self made man, you obviously worship your maker :mad:

You said safety does not come from experience and common sense, you are wrong., Being complacent obviously does not help, and never let yourself become a "know it all", like so many on this forum, you included. :yes:

carry on, plenty of common sense in the cemetery.

KW

Perhaps because he had been paying monthly dues throughout his working life? To be honest your response beggars belief. Do you honestly believe that, even though you are paying dues, you should not be entitled to any assistance unless you are actively involved? Pathetic.

It really sticks in my craw the number of people that batter on about solidarity and "helping my brother"; ********. In my experience the majority of union members join to look out for Number 1. I am passing no judgement on that, it is a personal decision, but do not try to convince anyone who will listen that it is for selfless reasons.