Shooting on Sunday...?

Markio

Morning,

I've been doing some searching regarding the ban on shooting on Sundays, now as far as i can tell from the BASC website pigeon shooting isn't an issue whereas Game shooting is banned on Sundays and Christmas day. Does this ban on game shooting apply to organised days (Syndicates, driven days etc) or does it extend to me rough/pigeon shooting and taking the opportunity to bag a Pheasant?

Morning,

I've been doing some searching regarding the ban on shooting on Sundays, now as far as i can tell from the BASC website pigeon shooting isn't an issue whereas Game shooting is banned on Sundays and Christmas day. Does this ban on game shooting apply to organised days (Syndicates, driven days etc) or does it extend to me rough/pigeon shooting and taking the opportunity to bag a Pheasant?

i think a general guide is that only vermin ie pests can be shot on sundays

thats my thoughts on the matter i may be wrong as i have been wrong before :lol::lol:

As an additional question to those that are in Scotland - do any of you shoot pigeons on Sundays?

Not sure about Pigeons but found this text on the bottom of this page: http://www.basc.org.uk/content/shootingseasons

Sunday and Christmas Day Shooting

England & Wales:

No game (including hare) may be shot in any county on any Sunday or on Christmas Day. No wildfowl may be shot in the following counties on Sunday because orders prohibiting it were made under the Protection of Birds Act 1954: Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarvon, Camarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, Great Yarmouth County Borough, Isle of Ely, Lees County Borough, Merioneth, Norfolk, Pembroke, Somerset, North and West Ridings of Yorkshire.

Northern Ireland (Wildlife Order Northern Ireland):

All wild birds are protected on Sunday or on Christmas Day.

Scotland:

There are no statutory restrictions on the killing of game on Sunday or on Christmas Day although it is not customary to do so. Wildfowl may not be shot on any Sunday or on Christmas Day.

also not a lot of people know that it is illegal to shoot hares at night time

I dont think thats acctually true. People think it is true but, dont quote me on this, i think under the wildlife and countryside act/ground game act you are allowed as they are classed as ground game. I thought you wernt allowed but one of my tutors said you are allowed.

Don't think georgehare, be sure of your facts. The shooting of hares at night is illegal unless exempt under the act.

ct

>Don't think georgehare, be sure of your facts

Errr....

BASC seem to agree with George :lol:

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/lampingpractice

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 amended Section 6 of the Ground Game Act and Section 50 of The Agricultural (Scotland) Act 1948, to allow night shooting of ground game under certain conditions

England and Wales: it is lawful for the occupier of any land himself, or one other person authorised by him, to use firearms for the purpose of killing ground game at night if the occupier has the written authority of a person entitled to kill or take the ground game on their land e.g. holder of shooting rights. The following conditions apply:

1. No person should be authorised by the occupier to kill ground game except:

i) members of his household resident on the land in his occupation

ii) persons in his ordinary service on such land e.g. employees

iii) any other person, bona fide employed by him for reward in taking and destruction of ground game

Seems like it is perfectly legal to shoot hares at night as long as you follow those rules!!

Just to add my halfpenny worth ,

I remember reading somewhere (dont know where) that you can only shoot vermin on a Sunday if you are specifically asked by the landowner to do so. can anyone enlighten me ??

(or am i having a senior moment again). :lol:

cheers Sutty :lol:

rarms

That is what I said. Unless you are exempt under the act.

The 1880 Ground Game Act states......

Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981)

This amended Section 6 of the Ground Game Act and Section 50 of The Agricultural ( Scotland ) Act 1948, to allow night shooting of ground game under certain conditions.

It is lawful for the occupier of any land himself, or one other person authorised by him, to use firearms for the purpose of killing ground game at night if the occupier has the written authority of a person entitled to kill or take the ground game on their land e.g. holder of shooting rights.

The following conditions apply:

a) members of his household resident on the land in his occupation

:/ persons in his ordinary service on such land e.g. employees

c) any other person, bona fide employed by him for reward in taking and destruction of ground game

2. Every person so authorised by the occupier, on demand by any other person having a concurrent right or any person so authorised by him in writing, must produce their written authority. In default, a person would not be deemed to be an ‘authorised person’.

· Under the Game Act 1831 Section 30 non-compliance with any of the above restrictions may make the person taking ground game a trespasser within the scope of poaching legislation e.g. trespass in pursuit of game. A defence that the person had permission from the occupier would not apply. [1

Regards

Charlie

rarms

That is what I said. Unless you are exempt under the act.

The 1880 Ground Game Act states......

Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981)

This amended Section 6 of the Ground Game Act and Section 50 of The Agricultural ( Scotland ) Act 1948, to allow night shooting of ground game under certain conditions.

It is lawful for the occupier of any land himself, or one other person authorised by him, to use firearms for the purpose of killing ground game at night if the occupier has the written authority of a person entitled to kill or take the ground game on their land e.g. holder of shooting rights.

The following conditions apply:

a) members of his household resident on the land in his occupation

:good: persons in his ordinary service on such land e.g. employees

c) any other person, bona fide employed by him for reward in taking and destruction of ground game

2. Every person so authorised by the occupier, on demand by any other person having a concurrent right or any person so authorised by him in writing, must produce their written authority. In default, a person would not be deemed to be an ‘authorised person’.

· Under the Game Act 1831 Section 30 non-compliance with any of the above restrictions may make the person taking ground game a trespasser within the scope of poaching legislation e.g. trespass in pursuit of game. A defence that the person had permission from the occupier would not apply. [1

Regards

Charlie

just to throw a spanner in the works.

hares are vermin.

i have this in writing from my fireaems department. but do i think there are right.

no i dont.

• 3 weeks later...

in new zealand,u can hunt any thing,except native and protected wild life mostly birds if you shoot a protected native bird it can cost u up to $100,000 dollars, we can hunt on any day if its in season we only have seasons for game birds, 1st saturday off may to the end off august, and specail days or weeks in mid summer on nz paradise shell duck and canada geese, the only bird we can hunt 24 hr per day are canada geese after ducks have finished or in the short summer seasons, the geese season in some parts off the south island is almost 9 months of the year and i think the only time u are not alowed to hunt them is in there mout period when they loss there flight feathers , i dont know if theres laws regarding christmass but its the beging of our summer so we are all going to the beach not wanting to shooting pheasnt in the snow anyway :good::lol: nofoxs in new zealand and we can hunt deer and pigs 365 days of the year night or day and any type,