thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of buying a Mossberg 590 on section 2. But which version? Which version? Would use it for pigeons (clay, real) now with the possibility of applying for FAC to do practical shooting in the near future. (Would convert the gun).

Get the solid muzzle not the bird cage one. The non tri-rail is nice to pump as you have more surface area to grab. However the speedfeed stock is a nice touch. Tough call

hi! What is the advantage of birdcage barrel? Or the tri-rail?

I have no idea about the Birdcage muzzle if it had any advantage or not. I suppose you could class it as being ported so in theory would reduce muzzle flip. But all nonsense and in my opinion looks a ugly as sin!

As for the tri-rail.... You pretty much fit anything to it that has a picinitay attachment. Grips, pods, lights, lazers etc....

Search back in this thread you will see pictured my mates 590 "big ed" who has got all sorts attached to his forend rail.

Thinking of buying a Mossberg 590 on section 2. But which version? Which version? Would use it for pigeons (clay, real) now with the possibility of applying for FAC to do practical shooting in the near future. (Would convert the gun).

Only thing about the 590 ; it has a fixed cylinder choke iirc, which can be a pain in the **** for some targets. The 500 has a multi choke, but most are 28" barrels, which seems to long too me.

I seem to remember that ported barrels aren't allowed in UK practical shotgun comps, perhaps an expert could confirm or deny this.

A ported barrel would put you into (I think) the open division? That means you would be competing against things like mag fed Vepr or Saiga.

Is the cage not just something that they welded on to make the barrel reach the 24" minimum? Or possibly just intended to make the gun look more attractive in the US market. I can't think of any reason to have one...

The Mossberg is a good gun but not the best for practical shooting competition because extending the magazine is extremely difficult, the best option is a gun that can easily install screw-on extension tubes, a good make being Nordic components.

There are many to choose from including Remington, Benelli, Winchester, Browning or Hatsan depending on your budget, all will take an extended tube.

Ported Barrels will put you in Modified Division against Semi-auto shooters at any IPSC sanctioned competition, if you shoot the four4islands series in the UK it won't make any difference, you will remain in pump division.

However magazine capacity & speed loading will dominate the list of things your practical shotgun needs if you wish to be competitive, also a multi-choke is a big advantage, this is why the Benelli & Remington tend to be the top choices for this sport, the Mossberg is slow to load as it has no lifter to help guide in the shells, you should also look at quad loading if you aim to be competitive.

Here is what you need to learn, eight shells loaded in 2.8 seconds using AP Customs shell caddies.

The Mossberg is a good gun but not the best for practical shooting competition because extending the magazine is extremely difficult, the best option is a gun that can easily install screw-on extension tubes, a good make being Nordic components.

There are many to choose from including Remington, Benelli, Winchester, Browning or Hatsan depending on your budget, all will take an extended tube.

Ported Barrels will put you in Modified Division against Semi-auto shooters at any IPSC sanctioned competition, if you shoot the four4islands series in the UK it won't make any difference, you will remain in pump division.

However magazine capacity & speed loading will dominate the list of things your practical shotgun needs if you wish to be competitive, also a multi-choke is a big advantage, this is why the Benelli & Remington tend to be the top choices for this sport, the Mossberg is slow to load as it has no lifter to help guide in the shells, you should also look at quad loading if you aim to be competitive.

Here is what you need to learn, eight shells loaded in 2.8 seconds using AP Customs shell caddies.

The quote says he's using it for pigeons mate, not Jack Bauer-a-thons :)

Hi guys! Thx for all the answers! Would use it for pigeons as an SGC, than maybe changing for FAC, which means won't be used on live quarry any more. Only on practical. Only considering all options. Got a budget of no more than a grand. Rest of my budget is going to Disneyland :). Reloading video is awesome. Had to watch it in slow motion... Will look into the other makers too. Where to buy all the speedloading accesories in the UK?

Edited by londonercsecse