Chipping all dogs

happypig

So all dogs are to be chipped in England by 2016......

Should help with theft and abandonment..... Not sure about the other stated benefits though.....

The problem is, people can't keep their car registration up to date so without compulsion to keep things up to date the chipping benefits are eroded.

What do we think? Fines for not keeping the information up to date?

how are they going to enforce this? traffic warden esque people in cammo leaping out of the undergrowth to scan your dog? if its going to be at vets most people who bother to take their dog to the vet int he first are proably likely to of had the dog chipped anyway?? another bonker nye on unenforcable piece of legislation wasting the politicians time!!raher than dealing with some thing important like stopping giving aid to goverments who are already better off than us!!

It may well mean that they can destroy or rehome strays faster, if you care about the dog you will have it chipped and keep your details up to date. If not then the dog will be able to be dealt with straight away. Most decent owners it won't affect as their animals will be chipped anyway

We are never going to stop bad people doing bad things to dogs but if it was set up properly with a nation wide database and standard chips at least the good people who keep there address etc up to date if the dog gets lost and found the owner could be found in a short time if only for that reason I think that it is a good idea I for one would pay for that.

The problem as I see it if al4x is correct and the idea is to make dealing with strays easier then what happens when a chip stops working, and your prize fully trained cocker gets the bad news.

Also apart from failing chips can move, the chip in my pup Meg has moved to the right lower shoulder, a less interested person might not find it with the scanner!

It's not faultless technology!

this will make money for someone but they say its FREE to chip your dog but how much to register ? change of owner or selling a litter .then will vets /or animal charities scan dogs and find or inform owners for nowt .As a dog owner I demand that cats get the same treatment

Edited by scutt

this will make money for someone but they say its FREE to chip your dog but how much to register ? change of owner or selling a litter .then will vets /or animal charities scan dogs and find or inform owners for nowt .As a dog owner I demand that cats get the same treatment

£5 to change details last time I did it, however her chip number is also on her pedigree cert etc so is in a few places

All my dogs are chipped, they all have collars with legally compliant tags - if and when they work I will be taking them without collars though.

Tattooing of police dogs I believe in some areas of the world are done on the inner lip of them or sometimes belly - making it harder for it to be cut off - like ears for example.

DNA profiles can also be kept - I believe the KC has a database.

If a dog is stolen there is little chance - despite the above - of the dog being returned to the owner. At least not alive anyway. Sadly.