Firearms renewal

Bryn

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine's FAC expired in October. He got his renewed certificate on Saturday just gone around four months later. I'd prepare yourself for a long wait and that your FAC will almost certainly expire before they process it.

I recently wrote a complaint to Kent Police via the Police and Crime Commisioner about processing times and apparently they are going to commence a trial later in the year to try and alleviate delays but they won't have started that yet.

Still loads of time then! No harm in ringing them but expect to be fobbed off. Ring them the week before and ask for a guarantee it'll be in your hands on time. If not take your guns to an RFD

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

If not ask for (demand) a Temp cert.

There is no reason to stop shooting or cart guns to a RFD if it the fault of your region! :good:

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

If not ask for (demand) a Temp cert.

There is no reason to stop shooting or cart guns to a RFD if it the fault of your region! :good:

I, and a thousand other people did just that and got told everything from "We don't do them" to "Theres no such thing"! <_< I'm 4 years away from my next renewal so plenty of time yet but next time i'm going to ask for the S7 at the same time i submit my renewal application :yes:

You should ask for a S7 temp cert if they can't renew your FAC by the due date. If they refuse you should complain - I think to both the Chief Constable and the Police Commissioner - about the fact they have failed to issue your renewal in a timely fashion and also refused to issue a temp S7 cert.

You could point out that this leaves you in the position of holding guns unlawfully and if you are required to store with a RFD you will be seeking advice about recovering the cost of that storage from the police.

When more of us do this the Forces who will not alter their methodology and who have a woeful record of getting any certificates out on time, may just be forced to behave differently.

Mercia and others have turned their performance around dramatically so it can be done and it's a disgrace that other Forces appear to be making no effort to follow suit.

Indeed they are usually sent out 3 months early so get them in fast. In this case they have 6 weeks its worth checking if they have cashed the cheque and if not get on the phone to check receipt.

Your options come the 4th are to take their advice, or take the pw advice and see if they will issue a s7 trying for one may speed your application up, the other option is put your guns into storage. Though pw will have you believe you can chase the police for the cost good luck never heard them pay before. Ultimately it's down to you and whether you are happy to keep the guns with a written confirmation from them they won't prosecute you as its their fault

You should ask for a S7 temp cert if they can't renew your FAC by the due date. If they refuse you should complain - I think to both the Chief Constable and the Police Commissioner - about the fact they have failed to issue your renewal in a timely fashion and also refused to issue a temp S7 cert.

You could point out that this leaves you in the position of holding guns unlawfully and if you are required to store with a RFD you will be seeking advice about recovering the cost of that storage from the police.

When more of us do this the Forces who will not alter their methodology and who have a woeful record of getting any certificates out on time, may just be forced to behave differently.

This is exactly the method. Complain, and then try to get money back for storing charges that you inqure while waiting for the licence to arrive. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of this?

Mercia and others have turned their performance around dramatically so it can be done and it's a disgrace that other Forces appear to be making no effort to follow suit.

This is exactly the method. Complain, and then try to get money back for storing charges that you inqure while waiting for the licence to arrive. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of this?

Steppehwolf

That is the route, this has been debated many a time and Bill Harriman of the BASC etc has recently written an article on this.

If a few more people did take their balls in their hands and complain/demand a Temp Cert it would not happen, this is exactly the sort of thing the Police Commissioners should be looking into.

I'm sure David BASC on here could find the article. :good:

Just over 6 years back at my renewal my region dragged their heels and I asked for and got a Temp cert, at my renewal some 13 months ago they actually delivered my new coterminus a month early! :yes:

I agree that the PCCs should be looking into this but I have submitted a complaint to the Kent PCC who replied stating that it was an operational matter and not for her to deal with. (This, despite all cheques for licensing go to her office).

I think it is indeed time for BASC to step up a gear with certain forces which aren't willing to improve.

I agree that the PCCs should be looking into this but I have submitted a complaint to the Kent PCC who replied stating that it was an operational matter and not for her to deal with. (This, despite all cheques for licensing go to her office).

I think it is indeed time for BASC to step up a gear with certain forces which aren't willing to improve.

The LAST thing we want is the PCC's getting involved in firearms licensing! :crazy:

Surely they are already involved to some degree as most forces now stipulate that payments for licenses go to the PCCs office?

Also, if a force isn't delivering the required level of service to what are effectively paying customers, shouldn't the PCC be able to hold th relevant officer in charge accountable? If not, then who will?

Some forces are able to rectify these issues themselves it seems, but for those of us in areas where they don't seem to be able to, who can we turn to for action?

Surely they are already involved to some degree as most forces now stipulate that payments for licenses go to the PCCs office?

Also, if a force isn't delivering the required level of service to what are effectively paying customers, shouldn't the PCC be able to hold th relevant officer in charge accountable? If not, then who will?

Some forces are able to rectify these issues themselves it seems, but for those of us in areas where they don't seem to be able to, who can we turn to for action?

I would have thought so, but frankly I don't know their remit/powers. There was always a suggestion that they were going to be toothless, but from further above ...its an operational matter.... so, it's nothing to do with them either apparently :/ !

It's easy to see how threads move off topic.

Consult your Shooting organisation if you feel your region have not done their job, about 6 weeks has been mentioned here, mine send a reminder at either 2 or 3 months, I don't remember but I think its 3. So I feel I have every right to ask for a Temp if they cannot get their act together in that time! :good:

Edited by Dekers

Well just got off the phone from a very polite lady, I was told the following:-

My renewal form all received and is waiting processing they are currently working on Novembers so mine will definitely be delayed. I asked about a S7 and was told i could apply but it is not necessary because as the the delay is their fault i am covered. If i require ammo I can have this 'gifted' to me by a fellow shooter.

It was then explained to me that i would receive call from FAO soon to arrange inspection, but i am allowed to hold firearm(s) and keep as before until new one comes through. :no: I shall now wait and see what happens when i get my visit and have a discussion with FAO