Punt gunning - Anyone been??

Penelope

I have been out twice in my life as a fowler, with both trips on the Blackwater Estuary in the late 80's, early 90's bought at my old clubs sporting auction.

The first trip out was certainly an eye opener, seeing the ground from the other side so to speak, and the artistry in geting the punt in range. The second trip involved a shot with the big gun (11/2" BP muzzle loader), the noise,the recoil, the pall of smoke and the pick up (5 wigeon). On the same day I shot 7 teal from a huge flock asleep on the mud with the cripple stopper as the big gun was not loaded Just after the shot at wigeon), when we got to within 30yds of them coming out of the sun on a making tide. A shot to rivel the old days if the punt gun had been loaded.

An experience that will last a lifetime and one I'm grateful to had tried.

I have helped the guys launch their boats from shep's on occasions but have never been out into the wash with them. If I ever go you must do me a favour guys, please shoot me with the biggest load cartridge you have with you as you will know I have finally lost my marbles. I have been out on a cockle trip when its turned rough and that put me off going out there for life. Good look to those brave-daft enough to go out to sea on one of those. I'm sticking to terra firma.

I have had one day on the Wash. We never had a shot , but a very enjoyable day. I will never forget punting up to some duck when a seal poped his head up and lookin the boat. I could have almost patted it on the head.

Had the same happen on the Blackwater, they were very curious about us.

I`ve given a seal a sharp clip around the ear with an oar before now.

Rowing down channel very early one morning one swam under the punt and bumped the bottom a couple of times as he passed. This particular seal had taken to hauling himself out of the water into small dinghys and sunning himself.

I think he saw the low punt as an easy spot to haul himself out. There was patently no room in the punt for the seal and he did`nt leave when I told him to, so a quick clout was the order of the day.

My companion, a much older semi pro fisherman was reaching under the foredeck for the cripple stopper with every intention of shooting it. I managed to stop him with some difficulty such was his hatred of seals.

The problem is that most double handed punts require two knowledgeable occupants for it to work correctly. One to propel the punt, the other to work the gun. Unfortunately, neither thing is easy to do and both can take years to learn how to do properly.

It can sometimes be done that, by setting up the gun in advance, firing it is no more difficult than pulling a Christmas cracker. Things start to veer off course though, if any changes in elevation are required. Aiming a punt gun takes a surprising amount of skill to do effectively and it is all too easy to miss.

The main problem these days is the weather. Unless you live almost on site and can launch when the weather is right and at a moments notice, it`s impossible to arrange a trip out weeks in advance since effectively working the punt up to birds is something ultimately governed by the wind strength.

Being out with the punt seven times this season had four shots with the big gun.I have a eighteen foot single punt which carries a double barrel 4 bore gun which is 7 foot long and weighs 67 pounds proofed to fire 1.5 ounces of black powder and 8 ounces of shot in brass cased cartriges from each barrel.I tend to load it 6 ounce shot and 1 ounce of black powder so it does not recoil to much.Last trip out end of january spotted about 30 widgeon on edge of a mud bank paddled for nearly an hour laid flat out, hands in water with two small paddles it was snowing and water was freezing the wind was starting to get up and was getting quite choppy got with in 60 yards of them and got ready for a shot cocked both hammers and adjusted the gun one hand in water to keep punt steady other hand on toggles to fire gun off could hardley feel my hands for cold keeping my head down and still,so not disturb ducks, just as i fired a large wave hit the boat putting it a foot in the air.All 30 widgeon flew of untouched but thats the fun of punt gunning.Took me over an hour to get back and was glad to get onto dry land.

Punt gunning does sounds very interesting.

I'd love a trip out in the punt without the gun, just to see the marsh from a different perspective!

get an old wooden door, a couple of planks of wood as oars and i will give you a shove off the sluice gates. that will be very similar and would certainly give you a different perspective.....I do feel for the punt gun guys, they are dedicated and traditionalists but I do wonder about the mentality when you think of the dangers of our estuaries! I wont be joining you Matt,