Opinions please

bruno22rf

My son has been type 1 diabetic for 2 years and his school,to date,have been very supportive.However,yesterday ,while moving from one room to another,he was made to leave his bag (containing glucose tablets) behind as the class was in a hurry,During the next hour he became aware that his blood sugar was dropping (this lesson was the one prior to lunch) and asked if he could go to the medical room to take the appropriate action,His request was denied by 2 teachers (after the first teacher said no he turned to the second in the hope that she would see sense),by the end of the lesson he was visibly shaking and just managed to make it to the classroom where his bag had been left (next door).Half an hour after eating his lunch and a drinking can of coke his blood sugar was 4 which prooves that his levels were way too low.I rang the school yesterday and complained to the Headmaster who said that he would speak to the members of staff immediatly and call me back-I am still waiting for his call 24 hours later,What would you consider a fair action to take?

Written complaint to the headmaster and governors so that its down it writing and they have to read it!

I'd also tell your son that if the refuse his request in future and he does need to go to medical room or whereever, to just get up and walk out of the class and do what he needs to do. His health is more important than a couple of snotty teachers!

A very sorry episode, I'm sure it was a mistake by the staff involved and hopefully they and the school will learn from it.

I would have hoped that the Headmaster would have been better at coming back to you.

let's hope that the staff involved and all the other members are made aware of the importance of your son being allowed to have free and easy access to his medication.

Good luck and I hope it is resolved quickly.

If I were you I'd be tempted to go in and demand a meeting with the members of staff involved and the headmaster to stress the risk they placed your son at and seek assurances that it can never happen again.

+1

I would be in there like a shot. I would be thinking of legal action.

To make sure none of the idiot teachers do this again.

Sorry to hear that happened, when we have a child at the school I work at with a serious illness or condition that may need attention a email goes out to all staff highlighting the name of the child and action that may be needed, also a a4 poster of the child is pinned to the notice board of the staff room with a photo of the child and details, there is one up there at the moment of a diabetic child.

If your school doesn't do this already it may be a idea perhaps?

Report to ofsted first thing in the morning!!!!!!

How old is your son?

Please report them to ofsted if you don't this could happen again!!!

My little boy aged 5 got took out on a walk at the nature park behind his school and his best friend aged 5 picked a needle up and stabbed his finger with it!!!!

Ok this was not the schools fault how were they to know!!

But they did not tell his parents!!!!

They found out a week later when he told his mum!!! And when she asked the teacher because they thought he made it up!!! She said yes and she forgot to tell her!!! When she collected him!!

You need to make sure this dose not happen

Again

And by the headmaster not getting back to you tells me he is sweeping it under the carpet.

I feel for your son

He told them why he needed to go so cant see how this will help!!

Sorry to hear that happened, when we have a child at the school I work at with a serious illness or condition that may need attention a email goes out to all staff highlighting the name of the child and action that may be needed, also a a4 poster of the child is pinned to the notice board of the staff room with a photo of the child and details, there is one up there at the moment of a diabetic child.

If your school doesn't do this already it may be a idea perhaps?

I would send a letter to the Chairman of the Board of Governors, setting out what happened and suggesting you will be considering legal action.

I would take your son to his GP and ask the GP what the consequence of the above circumstances could have been (just if he is denied glucose for however long it was). I would then see a solicitor with both replies and ask him to write to the school, Head, Chairman and the Two teachers seperately but same content saying you will accept written letters of apology from each and every one and an assurance that in similar circumstances no impediment will be put in your sons way by anyone in the school, within 48 hours or the matter will pass forward for breach of duty of care and attendant and appropriate damages.

The long term goal is simple, get your son a small pouch that goes on to a belt that holds his glucose tablets so he is never without them.

You will never change a heartless teacher so best way is to compensate for them.

Good idea, does he wear a medi alert bracelet?

I know there are pump systems that are belt worn are these an option?

Letter to headmaster (and form tutor) and wait for a response. A lack of response from the head is much more serious.

I would send a letter to the school to follow up your phone call. explaining how upset you are that this has happened, and how dangerous this was! Explain the condition plainly in facts and consequences if your son cant take the proper action. state that this is unexpected and better measures should be taken. If they wish you are available for a meeting.

What's happened can't be taken back no matter how much f-ing and blinding. Just make sure you make a note of it, make sure they understand that it should never happen again.

Good luck :good:

Many thanks for all your replies,I resisted the urge to go straight to the school because I know that I can become aggressive where my children are concerned and that would solve nothing.I will give the Headmaster until midday on thursday to contact me and if he fails to do so then I will contact the school.If no plausible reason is given for this event then I will make an official complaint to the board of governers and to ofsted.He used to carry glucose tablets in his blazer pocket but they were constantly being stolen,since then they are kept in his school bag which is ,normally,always with him.

He told them why he needed to go so cant see how this will help!!

My thinking was perhaps they thought he was lying or trying to bunk off but maybe if his illness was highlighted to all staff it would maybe stop this happening again, won't change what already happened but might help another teachers judgement in whether or not to let him go in the future.

if nothing else it might make a couple of teachers aware of his condition who were not previously and that can only be a good thing.