both eyes open or one closed

Womblebear9990

The suggested eye tests are indicators only. A person can test perfectly as right eye dominant with finger and hole tests, but still switch dominance with a gun in place. The reason is that a gun action taking up the lower part of the periphery vision can cause the brain to fill in the missing image from the other eye, while in finger / hole tests the periphery vision is not usually lost. It can be difficult to self diagnose this, but a good coach can see the point of aim over your shoulder.

Often, eye switching when the gun is up is because the comb is low - raising the comb or using a high rib can remove this problem.

Master dots that blank off eye focal vision but allow periphery can work well, as can learning to start two eyes open to acquire speed and direction info, then closing down just for the forward allowance.

There is no hard and fast rule, but as long as the eyes are good, two eyes is better than one (tunnel vision and no depth of field), but the blinking out system of only using one eye at the end of the swing can work well if there is a problem. Pattern plate testing is another way to find out if there is off eye pull on the point of aim.

• 2 weeks later...

You'd think that but i'm Right eye dominant :lol: My first lesson I shot both open fine. Weird. Shot again this sunday, left eye closed, all good again. I did fine that it was harder to 'catch' the target out of the trap with only 1 eye open, so i think i need to work on seeing it with both, then closing one to aim or learn to shoot both open

Having both eyes open would always be the best way to shoot as with both eyes open you get a much better idea of range and depth of fast moving targets.

If your having problems due to cross dominant then keep both eyes open until you aquirer the target, home in on it still with both eyes open then just as you are about to shot try closing the eye that is causing you problems and fire you will find this will work well.

If your a lefty with left eye dominants close the right eye and vise versa for right handed. If you shoot right shouldered but are left eye dominant or vise versa you are going to have problems.

With training you can overcome this.

thought i had a left eye dom problem kept seeing left hand side of barrels so closed left eye and shot like this for a bit but found i was picking up left to right targets late .ended up using tape on left lenz keeping both eyes open did inprove a bit ,all tests i tried showed me to be right eye dom . went for a lazer gun fit at brierley guns as i was in area for a week on hols.

turned out to be a poor gun fit when i was mounting the gun on to the target and pressing my cheek into stock my right eye was lower than the rib couseing my left eye to take over hense the resoon i was seeing the side of barrels. I had an ajustable comb fitted and set with them now i keep both eyes open and have no problem other than i found myself over leading left to right targets for a while ? ok now still not a great clay shooter but now i know its me not my eyes or gun :)

Edited by postie

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

hi there. I am left eye dominant, shoot off the right shoulder, shoot most things with left eye shut but shoot driven and teal with two eyes open so I can see behind the barrels with one eye and see the rib with the other, its weird but it works!

if you are right eye dominant and right handed (or visa versa) you should keep both eyes open as this gives you a better overall view of the target, peripheral vision (for second bird), and target reading ability. in a sense you could probably drive a car with one eye shut but you wouldn't, as your field of view and your depth perception would be slightly off. the same rule applies to shotgun shooting.

I only shoot right handed because I am completely useless trying to shoot left handed and i've tried many times! haha.

it would probably be best to check which eye is dominant before deciding on anything! all the best, steve.

Edited by BaikalsRule90