shooting foxes with 12 gauge

lakeside1000

hi all, Im a pigeon shooter first and last but on one of my permissions the farmer hates foxes with a vengence, he has asked me to shoot any I see on his land ( if I can get close enough ), problem is will a 12 bore do the job and what cartridge is best, Im a fair shot but do not normally shoot at such large animals, Ive already had a large dog fox pass within 40 yards of my hide but only had pigeon 6's so just watched him walk off into the distance. I will not risk maiming any animal, so I have to be sure the gun and shot will cleanly kill, all comments welcomed and respected.

Edited by lakeside1000

i prefer cartridges with 1s or 3s in 42 gram. Ideally get as close as you can with a fairly tight choke. If you can find an active earth, sit close by in the early morning, foxes are far less wary when there bellys are full. Failing that you can call them during day light hours if you have some decent cover on your permission. Iv never had much luck calling foxes to a shotgun at night but it could be worth a go. Im not sure how good you are at judging range but i would limit all shots to 30 yards and aim to get most of the pattern in the front end of charlie, hope this helps.

thanks, I dont think I will be out hunting them , just having the means to stop them if I happen to get the chance while im after pigeons, that will satisfy the farmer , the fox and deer seem to be very confident on this farm, they have not been hunted for some time , I was just walking the boundery line this afternoon and came within 30 yards of 3 roe deer who just watched me for a few moments before moving away to a safe distance, the fox are here because the farm is overrun with rabbits, which is one of the reasons the farmer has brought me in, so looks like I have a busy summer ahead.

36/42gm of 3's or a big load of 1's. problem is the pattern fails before anything else

so you need to keep to a sensible size shot. ie not too big and a good bit of choke.

pattern a few and you will see the max range and when big holes appear in the pattern.

but 50g of 1's at 30 yards in 1/2 choke will stop a fox dead in its tracks as long as you do your part.

36/42gm of 3's in a lighter gun 50g 1's in a heavy gun....job done :good:

I use 42g 1's in my S/A. Last time I used them it fired the first round ejected the case plus the second full shell and loaded the third all in a split second! That was through 3/4 choke so I'll go more open next time. But keep within 30 yards or so and you'll be fine.

Hi, I am sure you would want to do what is right.

I have shot my fair share of Fox in the past with a shotgun for like minded farmers.

On PW you will have no shortage of shooters who will take a rifle out, at night....and get rid of his Fox problem.

If I had this problem I would ask for somene from PW to get the job done.

I was recently out with some lads on a Fox shoot, they take some knocking back and tend not to give in.....they were true hunters and did a great job.

Just buy a box of number 1 lead try them for pattern at various ranges out to 40yds then make your own mind up about range and lethality. keep them warm and dry and pop a pair in your breast pocket say when ever you venture out, prob. last you years think of a fox as double an adult hare and you get the idea, twice the shot size you might use on the Hare at any given range (rough guide only). Don't fret appropriately loaded a shot to the ribcage on neck will be very final if your not pushing the ranges past your pattern

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a few with the lamp and shotgun, get a squealer/squeaker and get out and have ago

Have called them up to within 10yds at night, even managed one in daytime from around 1/2 a mile away to 20 yds

If they haven't been shot at on your ground, they shouldn't (famous last words) be too difficult to call in to shotgun range

I have shot several foxes with shotguns. I use 3" magnums ,50grms, BB's and 1/2 choke. Probably overkill but better to get a clean kill. All where called up in the day time, one to within 10 yards!

Edited by sarge

The fox will fall to a 12g very easily with the right cart at the right distance!

I seldom use the 12g for fox anymore but BB-3 works as a "GENERAL" cart.

Bigger carts such as SSG and SG can work but with the SG in particular it is conceivable that a fox could walk clean through the pattern at 40 yards!

Never even seen let alone used a LG!

Oh yes a 12 bore shotgun will certainly kill a fox, I always carry a couple of S.S.G. Cartridges for such an occaision!

...... If you can get some S.S.G Cartridges then do so!

No please don`t get sg/ssg`s they tend not to pattern well and even worse front on. As others have said 3`s for close work and 1-BB`s for longer range, 3 1/2" chambers and you may add a few more yards and if you have the right cart, then a few more if it is a buffered load of BB`s.

Guest cookoff013

for general sporting, 42g BB should be suitable. infact, that is the prefered everyday load.

as for SG shotsize, choking the hell out of those can cause more problems to patterns.

if i was to go out dedicated to foxes, then 42g BB or 3" #4buckshot.

I prefer 1's or 3's as a fox load:seem a good trade off of energy vs pattern but to be honest I've shot most with 5's or 4's (short range) purely because I was intent on shooting rabbits when the opportunity cropped up.I would normally prefer rifle for fox but shotgun can clearly be the better tool in certain circumstances & very effective if used within its sensible range limits.