anybody using a .270?

goshawker

Got a Sako 85 .270 moderated and can't say I notice the recoil. I used to shoot .243, 22-250 and also shot other stuff in the military and can't say that I find it as horrific as everyone makes out, 9 out of 10 people who bang on about it have probably never shot one or have gone from a .22 rimfire to a .270 centrefire or something stupid, also when i'm shooting i'm concentrating on the target not thinking about the recoil!

I home load and have it running at 2900-3000fps with a 130g soft point, and a bit faster and flatter with a 115g Hornady for fox. Wouldn't change it as it does everything I ask of it. Meat damage is the other thing people go on about and I cant say I have found it bad at all. I think it is more down to bullet choice, placement and how hot it's running at.

Got a Sako 85 .270 moderated and can't say I notice the recoil. I used to shoot .243, 22-250 and also shot other stuff in the military and can't say that I find it as horrific as everyone makes out, 9 out of 10 people who bang on about it have probably never shot one or have gone from a .22 rimfire to a .270 centrefire or something stupid, also when i'm shooting i'm concentrating on the target not thinking about the recoil!

I home load and have it running at 2900-3000fps with a 130g soft point, and a bit faster and flatter with a 115g Hornady for fox. Wouldn't change it as it does everything I ask of it. Meat damage is the other thing people go on about and I cant say I have found it bad at all. I think it is more down to bullet choice, placement and how hot it's running at.

Can I ask what bullet 130gr bullet you are using?

Whilst calibre is a factor in recoil, it's not the only factor. Stock design and weight make a big difference and even if you do struggle with recoil, you can tame it by fitting a mercury tube or tungsten bead etc recoil arrestor....... Yet another option is a muzzle brake. I personally hate brakes but there's no doubt they reduce the recoil.

FWIW, my big rifle is a .500 Jeffery, weighs about 12lbs unloaded and has a recoil arrestor fitted........ and whilst it's not exactly a pussy cat to shoot it is easily manageable.

Edited by shakari

I don’t know where all of this nonsense about the 270 comes from about it being a banger with heavy recoil that is hard on the shoulder and a carcass destroyer. It really is a load of rubbish. A 308 is a bigger load and has a larger bullet so go figure that out. Like any car you don’t have to drive it with your foot to the metal all of the time. I have reloaded mine from a soft load that feels about the same as my 20 bore up to loads that have got that much power that the recoil is aggressive. Some time ago Basc did a load for the 270 that used a Speer 130 pushed by H4895. That load was very nice to shoot and did the business very adequately. The only slight downside is that there aren’t so many tips available as there are for the 308 but the one that are available work very well. I think that the270 goes back to 1925 so if it wasn’t any good then it would have sunk into oblivion years ago.

This gives a bit of info on this round and like it says it does deliver devastating terminal performance. I read that a red deer that was shot in the body had it’s kneck broken by the impact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.270_Winchester

Edited by fortune

.270 uses significantly more powder than a .308 so its louder on report, the .308 "generally" uses a heavier bullet than is common to the .270 so is more likely to have a greater punch due to the extra weight of bullet . High impact speeds and lighter bullets create carcass damage so choose your load with care in the woods select heavier, tougher, slower out on the Hill it wont make a jot at 200yds on a red stag as regards meat and its well into the top 5 British deer rifles for good reason- previously the choice of the forestry commission and generally very easy to get Ammo for North of the border

its an awesome round, I have 3!

recoil is subjective by most

the recoil index shows the 270 to be pretty much the same as 308 if not lower that some loads

308 isnt as fast but has heavier bullets - resultant recoil is similar

130gr Interlocks or Norma soft points will comfortably deal with any quarry in the UK as a one stop shop

Hi

I have had a .270W for some 20yrs and it does what it is intended for. Bullets include both the 130 & 150grn home loaded.

Recoil - subjective and likely in my opinion to be based on other people talking/hearsay so use your own experience. Having said that it will not be easy to set aside others opinion that may have already gelled.

Enjoy!

L

• 3 weeks later...

Have fired a shot or two with a 270 and did not notice any recoil. Necked a Roe buck with one at about 80 yards with a NBT, hardly a mark on it. Have heard it does make a mess on a chest shot on small deer but not actually witnessed it, suspect that bullet choice and velocity may be the real issue.

A

Edited by Alycidon

not much damage to a shot in the chest thru the ribs, a high shoulder shot can get messey more so on stags and hinds as their is more meat and bone to take the energy of the bullet. i shoulder shot 2 14point 21 stone stags with clients last year and they just went stiff and rolled over